Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2023, 01:16 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS SCP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filaristil View Post
How many points in Boxing do you think the average SPC employee has?
Average, [1] because they are office workers and get the Boxing style from minimum required training. CERULEAN GLOVE? They have TbaM and dozens of points in MIDNIGHT GIRDLE. Also they are whales.
MFT frogmen probably have that world's version of whatever UDT guys learned in 'Nam at like the levels that operators normally have in Guns.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-29-2023 at 01:22 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:00 PM   #12
ravenfish

My knowledge of SCP is very cursory, but would GURPS: Warehouse 23 be of any use? It's a book about a secret organization that isolates and studies dangerous, powerful, and above all weird artifacts (and about the dangerous/powerful/weird artifacts that said organization has in storage), so it might provide some inspiration. At the very least, it's a good read.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:06 AM   #13
Embassy of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
My knowledge of SCP is very cursory, but would GURPS: Warehouse 23 be of any use? It's a book about a secret organization that isolates and studies dangerous, powerful, and above all weird artifacts (and about the dangerous/powerful/weird artifacts that said organization has in storage), so it might provide some inspiration. At the very least, it's a good read.
I have it, I use it, I adore it, and I wish it had become a major series. Whenever I mention GURPS Black Ops, Warehouse 23 is implicitly a part of that!
Embassy of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:49 PM   #14
Lancewholelot

I came across some notes from one of my "Weird Game" adventures from 30+ years ago. It was run as a solo scenario for a Jekyll and Hyde like character, Dr. Nickoles/Da Man.

I don't recall the opening event, but street violence was involved and police units were rolling up. The PC was fleeing the scene on foot while transformed into his hulking and uninhibited form, Da Man (which he'll remain in for the rest of the story). He spies a scruffy fellow with no body from the waist down climb from a trash can, walk across the street on his hands and slip down a manhole. Intrigued Da Man follows. Splashing though the sewer, Da Man finds a work light and a pipe wrench, but sees no sign of the freakish tramp. He's soon attacked by a giant fluke worm and beats it to death with the wrench. The legless tramp reappears, introduces himself as Oscar, and beckons the PC to follow.

Oscar leads him to a gathering of secret sewer mutant martial artists who call themselves "The Matchless" (this was back before Futurama and its sewer mutants, but not Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). A two-headed mutant with three legs challenges the interloper to hand-to-hand combat. Da Man notices that one of the two heads is ignoring him during the fight and decides to punch it. It gets angry and shouts, "Oh so you want to fight both of us do ya!" Despite the now two-fisted threat, Da Man prevails. The two-headed mutant it turns out is named after a couple of Renaissance artists.

The references to Oscar the Grouch and TMNT may seem rather corny, but I was influenced by The Illuminatus! Trilogy. Pop culture is full of references to the strange and secret world around us, if you can see past the fnords.

A mystic seer among the mutants proclaims that he has foreseen Da Man's coming. Before he can elaborate a new visitor arrives, bearing gifts of booze and ammo. Known as Texas Jack, this enigmatic character was encountered by the PCs in a previous adventure. Texas Jack tells of a force of undead soldiers being sent by the "Deep Nazis" from the Hollow Earth and asks The Matchless to stop them. Da Man goes with the mutants to battle it out underground against skeletons in WWII SS gear. He survives and acquires a MP 40 submachine gun as a memento.

When he next encounters the Deep Nazis, it won't be undead minions, but rather albinos in black with rayguns.

Last edited by Lancewholelot; 04-21-2023 at 04:08 PM. Reason: addition and typos
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:56 PM   #15
LoneWolf23k

Honestly, combine GURPS Black Ops with GURPS Warehouse 23 and you've got the basics for an SCP Foundation-style game. Only instead of having one Warehouse 23, there's maybe number of different containment sites.

Or maybe Warehouse 23 is this setting's "SCP-01", and serves as THE Containment site for all of the Anomalies, having effectively endless containment space inside the boundaries of the facility.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote