Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Campaign with Time Skips

Do you think this could be fun? Basically, a campaign wherein between each major sequence of interrelated sessions, say, N number of years passes. Players describe how they spent those N years, and everyone gets a fixed number of CP for that time, making projections based on how many points per session you were handing on out between interrelated sessions, and scaled by how much time was passing between those sessions on average. CP rewards are handed out based on the quality of each player's description of their character's life during that time. Then, a campaign reason is agreed upon for why the PCs are back together again (if they ever stopped being together), and you're off, N years wiser and more experienced. I thought I might try it out with a group and see.

Also, it again makes me realize there should be some sort of Unusual Background modifier on things like Unaging, Extended and Short Lifespan, etc. based on how significant they are in the specific campaign. Sometimes the campaign won't have supernatural aging attacks or ultra-tech aging rays, and won't last for more than 5-10 campaign world years. And some games will have intentionally large time skips, or aging attacks. For instance, imagine the above campaign idea with 5 PCs, one which, unbeknownst to the others, was Unaging for some reason (e.g. "good" vampire hunting other vampires with humans who don't know he's a vampire) - that Age Control (+20%) enhancement starts to make more sense now, huh?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Campaign with Time Skips

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Do you think this could be fun? Basically, a campaign wherein between each major sequence of interrelated sessions, say, N number of years passes. Players describe how they spent those N years, and everyone gets a fixed number of CP for that time, making projections based on how many points per session you were handing on out between interrelated sessions, and scaled by how much time was passing between those sessions on average. CP rewards are handed out based on the quality of each player's description of their character's life during that time. Then, a campaign reason is agreed upon for why the PCs are back together again (if they ever stopped being together), and you're off, N years wiser and more experienced. I thought I might try it out with a group and see.

Also, it again makes me realize there should be some sort of Unusual Background modifier on things like Unaging, Extended and Short Lifespan, etc. based on how significant they are in the specific campaign. Sometimes the campaign won't have supernatural aging attacks or ultra-tech aging rays, and won't last for more than 5-10 campaign world years. And some games will have intentionally large time skips, or aging attacks. For instance, imagine the above campaign idea with 5 PCs, one which, unbeknownst to the others, was Unaging for some reason (e.g. "good" vampire hunting other vampires with humans who don't know he's a vampire) - that Age Control (+20%) enhancement starts to make more sense now, huh?
Worked Example: Dragon Age II. It does this. (This being: Adventure! Time Passes. Adventure! Time Passes. More Adventure!)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Basically, a campaign wherein between each major sequence of interrelated sessions, say, N number of years passes
I have done this in a steampunk campaign. That kicked off with the characters getting involved with Hiram Maxim's attempts at steam-powered aviation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_M...lying_machines) which worked, and rapid advances followed. After a while, the campaign took a break, during which several years passed, in less-exciting stuff, but which allowed the technology to spread widely and be applied in many ways, and then resumed when there was the chance for more adventures.

I didn't give the characters significant numbers of points for the time skip, although the ones with the Invention unusual background (this was 3e steampunk) got to move the points into new inventions, the old ones having become widely used.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
The current cost of Unaging is predicated on the idea that time skips WILL occur. That's what the Training rules are for.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The current cost of Unaging is predicated on the idea that time skips WILL occur. That's what the Training rules are for.
I thought you were on the "Unaging costs too much" side last time this came up?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Figleaf23
Banned

I was just in a campaign where time would skip several months after each story arc. The off-screen periods involved no character points, but activities could be specified for the period -- e.g. build stuff, arrange hirelings, relationships, etc. -- all of which could then be plot-relevant in the next story arc.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
I am, but I certainly wouldn't want the cost increased just because Unaging was actually seeing some use.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
Novembermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
The problem with things like Unaging is that they are going to be overcosted in 90% of campaigns. If the campaign doesn't actually care about long term time then I'd just make it a Quirk or something.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
Anthony

I've been in a campaign like that (GURPS Vampire). Two recommendations: either everyone or no-one should have unaging, and don't use the training rules, just give a flat xp gain over time skips.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 AM   #10
Phoenix_Dragon

I sort of did this for my current campaign. A "Newbies" start. Characters started underage, at 50 character points, and go on minor adventures lasting a single session. Each time, they'd get 10cp, and time would advance about six months. Once they became adults, they started on their -proper- adventuring career, and time (And experience) progressed as normal, with the only time-skips largely being when they're taking time off. Which hasn't really been as much as they might like, lately :>
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, campaign ideas, time skips