Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #371
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Yes, that's the thing. Since they are fanatics, per the disadvantage they require command to act. If they had on the edge, they would be doing crazy stuff right now.

So, if we give them the right information about a real event (going against the ship), they will have confirmation of La Quinta pulling the strings. And there could be other benefits: Two or three officers may find each other during the prison break, and notice they all received the same letter, that they are "a team".
I don't think you're interpreting that correctly. It's not Slave Mentality, people with Fanaticism can certainly display initiative and act, but the reason they will do so is to advance the cause they are fanatically devoted to.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #372
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
OK then, Hua would have spent the last 12 pages doing nothing and all the extreme fanatics Daymar created would have done about the same (...)
I believe there is a confusion there.

Perhaps I should explain what “going into the mouth of the wolf” meant, because you made this statement about the subverted not having on the edge but having fanaticism and now you make this statement that disregards your work.

I didn’t mean the subverted would do unwise things; “going into the mouth of the wolf” is an idiom, it (very) roughly means “mother wolf will protect her puppies, the puppies need her”.

So, I replied, that’s the thing. The subverted (puppies) need the command (mother wolf) to take action.

Quote:
(...) I think it's entirely reasonable to believe that they aren't waiting for an order, but are also concerned about getting caught. I think giving them a list of names, telling them to go organize, and giving them a way to contact us (preferably through dead drops) would be sufficient to get them moving in terms of activity.
This is the idea I gave you; however, when you mentioned Hua would do the "list thing again" I replied this would be a rework (Pacifica did it already). What the subverted need at this point is the instructions, and a confirmation this is not bait.

Quote:
(...) The problem I have with this idea is that I though we agreed that the prison break was going to happen later. Possibly much later. It's a waste to leave the subverted officers unutilized so long.
I am no saying you/we should do this right now, we can discuss the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
I don't think you're interpreting that correctly. It's not Slave Mentality, people with Fanaticism can certainly display initiative and act, but the reason they will do so is to advance the cause they are fanatically devoted to.
I understand the disadvantage. Fanatism doesn’t the “kill” the initiative, but we have not seen any meaningful action from them so far (i.e. no initiative!). Let’s suppose all of them have decided to keep a low profile (that’s understandable), but in the end the subverted are sleeper agents that need command to work, and this doesn't turn them into slaves.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:25 AM   #373
GnomesofZurich

@ericthered: Before figuring out Daymar's next steps, I just want to verify what time of day it is - I think Daymar's shift has just had supper so he's now off the clock, is that right?
Old 08-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #374
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Perhaps I should explain what “going into the mouth of the wolf” meant, because you made this statement about the subverted not having on the edge but having fanaticism and now you make this statement that disregards your work.

I didn’t mean the subverted would do unwise things; “going into the mouth of the wolf” is an idiom, it (very) roughly means “mother wolf will protect her puppies, the puppies need her”.
Yeah, that is a very non-intuitive idiom to my ears.

Hide, do you have an objection to Hua delivering a list of subverted officers, and explicitly saying they're subverted, to Jokuchi & Vibibu? TGLS, what time of day will you deliver the message? and how?

Quote:
@ericthered: Before figuring out Daymar's next steps, I just want to verify what time of day it is - I think Daymar's shift has just had supper so he's now off the clock, is that right?
That is correct: Daymar and Pacifica are off the clock, and Hua is SUPPOSED to be asleep.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #375
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(...) Hide, do you have an objection to Hua delivering a list of subverted officers, and explicitly saying they're subverted, to Jokuchi & Vibibu? TGLS, what time of day will you deliver the message? and how? (...)
Rather than an objection, it’s an opinion.

We have seen little to none from the subverted; there isn’t a logical reason for things to change now. With the crew is fuzzing with paranoia, I have the impression that insisting on presenting the list alone (IC) would be suspicious and counter-intuitive.

The subverted need something new, something to make it clear this isn’t bait.

For this motive I am suggesting we should let a subverted officer learn about the plan (or give him instructions), rather than giving him a list alone. Even if said officer took a passive approach, the prison break would confirm an ally is trying to reach him.

We should take a move that synergizes with the current plans.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #376
TGLS

Quote:
TGLS, what time of day will you deliver the message? and how?

That is correct: Daymar and Pacifica are off the clock, and Hua is SUPPOSED to be asleep.
Well, my idea was to wait until they're scheduled to be working, and then effectively pull the same trick as with the drive LT (i.e. slip over to them while photo refracting, and slip the letter over to them).
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:02 AM   #377
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Daymar, Hua is looking for you... how will you two have planned to meet up?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #378
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Daymar, Hua is looking for you... how will you two have planned to meet up?
Note: current FP 8/12.

First need to deal with the present situation. My plan is to try Mental Surgery again, but first I have to determine whether my Suggestion works. Is there any way to know whether it took while I still have the opportunity to use Luck if it didn't?

I previously suggested doing things while Daymar is working and Hua is off duty on the second shift, but if Hua wants to forgo sleep, I suppose we can do things that way.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:58 AM   #379
TGLS

Quote:
I previously suggested doing things while Daymar is working and Hua is off duty on the second shift, but if Hua wants to forgo sleep, I suppose we can do things that way.
Well I did confuse which shift I was supposed to help:
Quote:
I must have confused which shift I was supposed to be helping Daymar. Yes, going to go help Daymar instead.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #380
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Well I did confuse which shift I was supposed to help:
Assuming Daymar makes it through his present encounter without being exposed, he will need to take a bit of a rest to recover FP (say, 30 minutes), but could then meet up with Hua.