Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #11
kirbwarrior

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
The wealth you can get from a empty Earth or trading between a different Earth is substantial.
And that's handily covered by Wealth or, much more common in my experience, retired adventurers.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Basic doesn't seem to say that.
Ah, but check for a similar situation under Snatcher on p.86. If a low tech person trying to Snatch a laser pistol ends up with a toy then the same person trying to Jump to a futuristic world ends up in Tomorrowland at Disneyworld.

Perhaps it is only an individual GM's ruling but I think it one with considerable common sense behind it.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:51 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Ah, but check for a similar situation under Snatcher on p.86. If a low tech person trying to Snatch a laser pistol ends up with a toy then the same person trying to Jump to a futuristic world ends up in Tomorrowland at Disneyworld.

Perhaps it is only an individual GM's ruling but I think it one with considerable common sense behind it.
Well, I don't entirely agree with the Snatcher bit I admit. (If you can get a real-but-broken laser gun why is there no chance of getting a real-but-working one?)

But it's a bit harder for Jumper (World) to pull off that bait-and-switch, since it goes to the same place you left. It can't take you to Disneyworld unless you're standing on a site where somebody built Disneyworld in another accessible reality.

...Also, making it so that it's impossible for jumpers to discover worlds ahead of their own TL is kind of a weird restriction, provided you allow New Worlds jumpers and have high-tech worlds in your multiverse. The trait literally has no references to TL in it.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:

...Also, making it so that it's impossible for jumpers to discover worlds ahead of their own TL is kind of a weird restriction, provided you allow New Worlds jumpers and have high-tech worlds in your multiverse. The trait literally has no references to TL in it.
The question is not "discover". It is "travel to at will". I listed 2 ways a Jumper could get to a world above his personal TL. I just don't think "visualize where you want to go" for a place that should be beyond your ability to clearly visualize is one of them.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:59 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Basic doesn't seem to say that. New Worlds +50% would do it, and does not specify any such requirements with regards to TL. It does say that the roll for new worlds is "IQ-3 or worse (GM's discretion)", and of course that there's no guarantee that the world you're hoping to find actually exists.)
Well that's the issue isn't it? While you can go to any world you can imagine that exists, your imagination is going to be wildly off target when it comes to visualizing the next few centuries of technological advancement. So those worlds can't exist. Mind you, once you've seen one of them then you can imagine all kinds of plausible variations.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:07 PM   #16
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The question is not "discover". It is "travel to at will". I listed 2 ways a Jumper could get to a world above his personal TL. I just don't think "visualize where you want to go" for a place that should be beyond your ability to clearly visualize is one of them.
The question is discover. Travel to at will is a given if you can discover it, and impossible if you can't, that's just what the trait does unless very heavily modified.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:42 PM   #17
RedMattis

If I need to perfectly imagine my destination I can't realistically go anywhere. Not unless someone brings back video or at least pictures of it.

The line "Of course it is always possible that the desired destination does note exist" implies that you don't need an exact match. Imagining Tolkien or Generic-fantasy-land might send me to Yrth. Imagining Star Wars might send me to some TL8+4* world, etc. Imagining a land of talking horses that solve things with friendship might fail if nothing quite like that exists.

Of course in a world where just about every imaginable world does exist and the GM is fine with exploiting them the Jumper advantages gets a lot more powerful. Especially if crazy plots aren't held back at all; the character can return with a pocket watch that summons a giant mecha, and psi-amplifying tech that basically upgrades their advantages.

But anyway New Worlds, like everything else about Jumper is clearly very much up to the GM. Hence why I think they could just as well have put the point cost as "Whatever suits the campaign".

As for language? Depends on the setting. It is common for alternate worlds to all speak modern english for some oddball reason, or everyone has "Universal Translators" (Star Trek) and a cross-world traveler gets understood anyway. In fact, unless diplomatic struggles is the focus it is probably more likely for the languages to be oddly similar.

In most settings Jumper is outrageously overpriced (like the Spaceship comparison made by another poster). In situations where it is not it tends to be so good that there would be no fair price for it.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:04 AM   #18
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
If I need to perfectly imagine my destination I can't realistically go anywhere. Not unless someone brings back video or at least pictures of it.

The line "Of course it is always possible that the desired destination does note exist" implies that you don't need an exact match. Imagining Tolkien or Generic-fantasy-land might send me to Yrth. Imagining Star Wars might send me to some TL8+4* world, etc.
But then you'd probably be going to a place where if you brought any of the cool stuff back, it just wouldn't work because the physics aren't set up to accommodate it.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:28 AM   #19
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
But then you'd probably be going to a place where if you brought any of the cool stuff back, it just wouldn't work because the physics aren't set up to accommodate it.
Well, for the starwars stuff sure, but realistic TL13 stuff is fine in most worlds. And I imagine a Star Wars lightsaber works fine in Power Rangers, She-Ra, Ninja-Turtles-world or whatever because they could theoretically crossover.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:41 AM   #20
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
If your multiversal physics work like that. It's not uncommon for the rules to allow all or most phlebotenum to be portable. That, like questions of what worlds actually exist, exists at the very most discretionary levels of GM discretion - nearly any answer is as valid as any other.

Which supports the point that a big part of the value of Jumper is determined by things quite external to the trait itself.

Though on the other hand...if you're using Jumper to gain access to otherwise unavailable technology that you then play with back in your homeworld? That's really just 'you have access to esoteric technology', which is a semi-standard Unusual Background situation. Looked at that way, that value should be considered external to Jumper in the same way that Wealth from crossworld trading can be.

That still leaves two rather different aspects for Jumper (World) though. Specifically, Jumper as mostly exotic mobility trick with respect to a single meaningful reference world, and Jumper as an edge in a game where crossworld activity is an important component (and probably all PCs will be crossing worlds somehow, whether or not they can do so under their own power).

Tags
advantage of the week, jumper