Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Vow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
It is worth noting that the value of a vow should always be in relation to the setting.

"Never wear armor" is probably not a Great Vow in a Supers campaign .
Losing that 16 points worth of Kevlar is not a small thing in a Supers campaign at a thousand points or less. Although it doesn't of course apply to anyone with the Can't Wear Armor limitation.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 07-17-2020 at 06:54 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #12
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Avoid harm to sentient creatures is just being a decent person. A Vow would be never do harm to sentient creatures.
I'd honestly argue that having any sort of moral code or 'being a decent person' is a disadvantage in GURPS. Vows are a perfect place for that, same as Code of Honor.

I've seen a comment by Kromm about having Vow of Chastity turn into Vow of Marriage, both for 5pts.

I've taken 5pt vows a lot. They do a great job of fleshing out a character in a similar way quirks do (and at 5x the points!). I did take Vow of Poverty for -15pts once. I don't remember if that's the 'right' cost but the character didn't do money at all and Vow felt more appropriate than Dead Broke since she could make money but would immediately donate it or use it for the party.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #13
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Is the veganism a canonical Vow example from somewhere? Because it seems so much more of a hassle, seemingly deserving a bump to the Major category.
My personal experience has been that being a vegan would be a Minor Vow and vegetarianism a quirk. Historically many people were vegetarian by default/accident simply because meat was expensive and the supply irregular. Being vegan has much harsher restrictions, in the modern era I'd consider it less than a minor vow but more than a quirk, but historically it definitely qualifies since the lack of worldwide options could easily lead to malnourishment. You wont starve, but you could definitely develop illness over weeks/months of a very restricted diet.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:04 AM   #14
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
You wont starve, but you could definitely develop illness over weeks/months of a very restricted diet.
B12 is a particular concern. If you are a strict vegan who also doesn't use animal labor I'd raise it to -10 or even -15. You can't ride and if you're a farmer, youre the one pulling the plough.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
B12 is a particular concern. If you are a strict vegan who also doesn't use animal labor I'd raise it to -10 or even -15. You can't ride and if you're a farmer, youre the one pulling the plough.
Fun story about B12. There was a very strict monastic order in India (IIRC) who has a claim to fame that the monks ate nothing but rice and a few vegetables, a sort of hyper-vegan diet. They agreed to be examined because their claimed diet was impossible, and when they were at the facility they all quickly developed severe malnutrition. Turns out they were getting just barely enough vitamins from insects and rat droppings in their rice supply, which were absent from the cleaner medical facilities.

Anyway, long story short a vegan might survive better than one may expect because the local bread is unintentionally 1% rat.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #16
Anders

Interesting. Feces are rich in B12 - that's why rabbits and guinea pigs chew their droppings.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #17
jason taylor

It would be good for a warrior or fighting man sort (a watchman, a bodyguard, or just plain bar-bouncer, as well as a Knight or Samurai). Fight the enemies of my liege, protect those I am instructed to protect, etc.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #18
AlexanderHowl

In my experience, Veganism usuallys turns into Odious Personal Habit (Verbally condemn omnivores) rather than a Vow. I have digestive issues that make it impossible for me break down most fungi and most plants, so my diet tends towards high diary and high animal protein out of necessity. I have been harassed by vegans about my diet more times than I care to remember.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #19
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
It would be good for a warrior or fighting man sort (a watchman, a bodyguard, or just plain bar-bouncer, as well as a Knight or Samurai). Fight the enemies of my liege, protect those I am instructed to protect, etc.
If it relates to a job in that way, I prefer Sense of Duty or Code of Honour; I tend to keep Vow back for the cases that can't be solved by those other disads. (Just because a knight swears an oath doesn't mean they get Vow and CoH (Knight's), especially if they mostly cover the same things…)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #20
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
If it relates to a job in that way, I prefer Sense of Duty or Code of Honour; I tend to keep Vow back for the cases that can't be solved by those other disads. (Just because a knight swears an oath doesn't mean they get Vow and CoH (Knight's), especially if they mostly cover the same things…)
A Vow would cover his relation with his liege and by extension the liege's household; if he goes ronin he retains CoH.

Tags
disadvantage of the week, vow