Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #81
naloth

Default Re: GURPS Supers Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
I considered Variable Innate Attacks were the norm so no enhancement required.
I hesitated to put Radiation Tolerance. Not sure Radiation factor should be a thing in a Super game.
DR, as a default, also covers the eyes. Not realistic, but very 4-colour.
I haven'y used Wildcard skills.
In a Super game, I am not convinced the granularity between E, A, H and VH skills is required or desirable. I used the standard rule anyway.
Supes has to choose which KRYPTONIAN POWERS he wants to use (AA) and his Super-Speed is tiring.
I do use Variable, though I sometimes forget it. As a system thing, I'd rather variable was the default and full only was a limitation thing such that it mirrored how ST based damage works. In practice it hasn't been much of an issue though.

I don't use rads for Supers. Instead, radiation is a good source of toxic damage, especially if you combine with with cyclic and side effects.

I play that DR covers the eyes because it's essentially worth little more than perk in contrast to other abilities (For merely 5 points IT: No Eyes makes you immune to eye damage plus blinding attacks. It also makes it hard to look you in the eye.)

Superman doesn't really have an obvious Wildcard. Wild Talent (good at everything, depending on the writer), perhaps, but not a field of ability.

You might want to throw Selective Area or Selectivity on the IAs, so that he can turn off the Cone or narrow which targets he affects.

You probably should define "Kryptonian" to be clear. If it means magical sources bypass his DR and high HP, the vulnerability will be overkill.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #82
naloth

Quote:
Ok, I've tried to put together a Comic version of Superman. I was kind of hoping to round him up at 1,500 points but ended up a bit more expensive. Comments welcomed.

<snip>
Kryptonian Toughness Damage Reduction /2 plus 30 DR (Tough Skin -40%) plus High Pain Threshold plus Very Fit [143]
<snip>
Rapid Healing Ability. Regeneration (Regular) [23]
Blunt trauma and armor divisors will be quite a problem. He has lots of HP (and recovers at a 7 HP/hour), but it can trickle away fairly fast if he gets hit with lots of automatic fire.

IMO, he shouldn't take blunt trauma even if he is affected by abilities that just need skin contact. Not getting a DR bonus vs afflictions is more of a judgement call.

I probably wouldn't want to run a game where everyone could fly off to planets on their own this easily, but that's just a personal preference. Otherwise, it's a good start that would just have to be balanced a bit more for the campaign.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #83
DreadDomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I do use Variable, though I sometimes forget it. As a system thing, I'd rather variable was the default and full only was a limitation thing such that it mirrored how ST based damage works. In practice it hasn't been much of an issue though.

I don't use rads for Supers. Instead, radiation is a good source of toxic damage, especially if you combine with with cyclic and side effects.

I play that DR covers the eyes because it's essentially worth little more than perk in contrast to other abilities (For merely 5 points IT: No Eyes makes you immune to eye damage plus blinding attacks. It also makes it hard to look you in the eye.)

Superman doesn't really have an obvious Wildcard. Wild Talent (good at everything, depending on the writer), perhaps, but not a field of ability.

You might want to throw Selective Area or Selectivity on the IAs, so that he can turn off the Cone or narrow which targets he affects.

You probably should define "Kryptonian" to be clear. If it means magical sources bypass his DR and high HP, the vulnerability will be overkill.
Agreed on variable. It is either variable by default and unvariable is a limitation or it could even be ignored and variability would depend on special effect.

I tend towards ignoring Rads as well.

Agreed on DR an eyes. This level of realism is not really needed in a Super game.

Will look into Wild Talent anc Selective.

Good point. Kryptonian was a short cut for Powers negated by exposure to Kryptonite and Red Solar Radiation. I treat Magic differently, as it does not negate his powers.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #84
DreadDomain

Quote:
Blunt trauma and armor divisors will be quite a problem. He has lots of HP (and recovers at a 7 HP/hour), but it can trickle away fairly fast if he gets hit with lots of automatic fire.

IMO, he shouldn't take blunt trauma even if he is affected by abilities that just need skin contact. Not getting a DR bonus vs afflictions is more of a judgement call.

I probably wouldn't want to run a game where everyone could fly off to planets on their own this easily, but that's just a personal preference. Otherwise, it's a good start that would just have to be balanced a bit more for the campaign.
Good catch. Blunt Trauma is another one I was flip flopping about. Should it be used in a Super game? Any problem if it's ignored.

High movement in this case is in line with how he is depicted. As written, he can fly coast to coast in a matter of minutes. Of course, a high powered game like that would require some kind of "convention agreement" between the gm and players.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #85
naloth

Quote:
Good catch. Blunt Trauma is another one I was flip flopping about. Should it be used in a Super game? Any problem if it's ignored.
If you aren't playing with it the "Tough Skin" limitation isn't really valid since at least half the limitation is for being vulnerable to blunt trauma. I took a -20% skin such that DR wouldn't help against skin contact based attacks.

I prefer using blunt trauma to separate the types of DR. For me, it adds flavor if bullets do minimal damage while irritating the Hulk but bounce off Superman.

Quote:
High movement in this case is in line with how he is depicted. As written, he can fly coast to coast in a matter of minutes. Of course, a high powered game like that would require some kind of "convention agreement" between the gm and players.
Sure, understand. I'd probably implement a "ghostly move" type advantage for off screen movement if you only could use it to bypass travel time. Otherwise, your version should be able to use himself as a missile (though given his DR/IT:DR, it may be a one time thing!).
Old 02-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #86
DreadDomain

Quote:
If you aren't playing with it the "Tough Skin" limitation isn't really valid since at least half the limitation is for being vulnerable to blunt trauma. I took a -20% skin such that DR wouldn't help against skin contact based attacks.

I prefer using blunt trauma to separate the types of DR. For me, it adds flavor if bullets do minimal damage while irritating the Hulk but bounce off Superman.
Makes sense. In short, there are 4 basic types of DR;
Rigid Armor
Flexible Armor (Flexible)
Invulnerable Sin (Tough Skin but not Flexible)
Tough Skin (Tough Skin)

Then of course you have Force Field, Abdoption, Limited DR etc.

Quote:
Sure, understand. I'd probably implement a "ghostly move" type advantage for off screen movement if you only could use it to bypass travel time. Otherwise, your version should be able to use himself as a missile (though given his DR/IT:DR, it may be a one time thing!).
I was thinking something similar. The ability to move quickly across the global is worth something but it seemed overpriced for a "travel betwen scenes" ability. I was toying with a -60% limitation.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #87
Phantasm

I've seen a few panels where Supes took a bullet to his open eye and it didn't faze him in the slightest.

It may not be the official explanation anymore (depends on the creative team, really), but I'd treat his DR as Force Field regardless of whether it actually is.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #88
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I've seen a few panels where Supes took a bullet to his open eye and it didn't faze him in the slightest.
Agreed, it's just that only eyes and costume is probably about 2 perks and is certainly less than 5 points in comparable abilities.

Quote:
It may not be the official explanation anymore (depends on the creative team, really), but I'd treat his DR as Force Field regardless of whether it actually is.
I don't think it rises to that level in GURPS terms. He's protected the odd person by putting his cape over them (usually as protection from his powers which isn't necessary in GURPS), but he hasn't shown the capacity to pick up objects and shield them as equipment.

Force Field nominally protects anything you are hauling around which for Superman could be as large as an entire aircraft carrier weighing 97 ktons as only Medium Encumbrance.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #89
Anthony

Superman doesn't have Tough Skin, he just has DR. Tough Skin means if you get stabbed with a needle containing something nasty, you still suffer the something nasty, you just aren't injured by the needle (mechanically speaking, it means it has no effect on blood or contact agents).

We have plenty of examples of needles breaking off on Superman, so Blood Agents do not trivially work on him. Whether he's vulnerable to contact agents seems inconsistent.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #90
DreadDomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Superman doesn't have Tough Skin, he just has DR. Tough Skin means if you get stabbed with a needle containing something nasty, you still suffer the something nasty, you just aren't injured by the needle (mechanically speaking, it means it has no effect on blood or contact agents).

We have plenty of examples of needles breaking off on Superman, so Blood Agents do not trivially work on him. Whether he's vulnerable to contact agents seems inconsistent.
I reread Tough Skin, and I concluded that you are right, he doesn't have Tough Skin not even with the Flexible component removed.

Last edited by DreadDomain; 02-05-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Tags
supers