Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
malloyd

Default Re: Ultra-Zeroed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
(Everyone except those immune to historical change. Because the character is a time traveller who bumbled his way into preventing his own birth. The universe is trying to erase him.)
I'm not sure this is actually an *enhancement*, it seems that it would come with most of the drawbacks of not having any records that the advantage lacks. The first time anybody official checks on you, you get arrested for using false documents, and then held forever, since anybody leaving your cell with the intent to say, investigate your case, or file a writ of habeus corpus, or post your bail forgets about you before they can.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #12
SRoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I'm not sure this is actually an *enhancement*, it seems that it would come with most of the drawbacks of not having any records that the advantage lacks. The first time anybody official checks on you, you get arrested for using false documents, and then held forever, since anybody leaving your cell with the intent to say, investigate your case, or file a writ of habeus corpus, or post your bail forgets about you before they can.
There's a recent Baen book that describes that. I haven't bought it, but you can read the first few chapters for free.
http://www.baen.com/unforgettable.html
The protagonist learns to pick locks, and hides in bathrooms to avoid being forgotten in a cell.
SRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Since he's highly skilled at forgery and picking locks, it's not an issue. As usual the character is designed to minimize the downside of the Cursed With Awesome ability.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

The "enhanced" version sounds like the old Piers Anthony book Mute. The protagonist's power was first discovered as a child, because his parents forget they had a kid.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:08 AM   #15
fchase8

There was an advantage, 'Arcane', in GURPS: Mage: The Ascension. 10 points/level. People with the advantage didn't tend to show up on television, be remembered, etc. It was always on.

It wasn't an absolute 'no remember', but a resistable dampener.
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #16
Refplace

PK wrote up a 300% Zeroed that erased you from everyones memory and all records as part of his Oniermancy article.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #17
starslayer

Plenty of ways to never be remembered....

It's actually the 'will remember when we meet again' party that seems difficult.

Perhaps : obscure (memory - 10, cosmic no die roll required)

Immunity : my memory obscure (time spanning : past only always on, aura, area effect, reduced duration 1 sec)

You have an automatic -10 to be remembered. When you are in close proximity to others they become immune and can this remember you (and forget immediately once out of range).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #18
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post

It's actually the 'will remember when we meet again' party that seems difficult.
It's not. It's just a limitation on the amnesia just to keep from annoying the players by insisting their players can't remember this character they keep meeting. But I've abandoned the idea and will start a new thread for for my next one.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post

Perhaps : obscure (memory - 10, cosmic no die roll required)

Immunity : my memory obscure (time spanning : past only always on, aura, area effect, reduced duration 1 sec)

You have an automatic -10 to be remembered. When you are in close proximity to others they become immune and can this remember you (and forget immediately once out of range).
Obscure (Memory) is already a bad idea because it effectively allows afflicting mild amnesia with no explicit save, effectively breaking/working around one of the fundamental affliction rules. Doing it with 'no roll required' is even more so.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Obscure (Memory) is already a bad idea because it effectively allows afflicting mild amnesia with no explicit save, effectively breaking/working around one of the fundamental affliction rules. Doing it with 'no roll required' is even more so.
Obscure (Memory) is another way to do it not using an Affliction. It's the same idea that Affliction 1 (Disadvantage, Delusion (I'm not here)) does the same thing as Invisibility except that Invisibility allows no save either...just a penalty.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zeroed