Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #31
Icelander

Default Re: Treasure from the Sheikh of the Grinning Skull Oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
Sand of Oblivion: Tossing this black sand upon an enemy causes them to whither and disintegrate. If enough is used, all that's left is a pile of ashen powder.
That sounds cool.

Presumably there are a limited number of doses and each dose does perhaps 2d corr damage or so. Throwing all the sand on someone would do 20d corr if there are 10 doses, then.

Going by 'Dirty Tricks', throwing sand on someone is a DX-based attack with a +4 to the roll. I guess only Dodge is a valid defence to it.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #32
Dalillama

[QUOTE=Icelander;1713448]
Quote:
Nah, doesn't work. Abu Jafar wasn't bald, he had an unplesant comb-over. A faint whiff of carrion that always clings to the wearer might be enough. Or, of course, the Greater Vulture Cloak might slowly twist the wearer toward the worship of the Dark Sun, the Lord of Murder and Prince of Lies.
Ah, I'm a bit rusty on my Realms mythology. Possibly the lesser cloaks induce Callous and OPH: Carrion Breath, while the Greater Cloak will also start causing Compulsive Behaviour: Kill people and leave their bodies for the vultures. Since killing people and dumping their bodies is the sort of thing devotees of Cyric are likely to do anyway, Abu Jafar may not have even been aware of this particular side-effect. It seems in line with

Quote:
Side-effects more like than a taste of carrion, as such, would be a need to slay something regularly for no other reason than to dedicate its death to the Lord of Murder and/or Compulsive Lying, Jealousy or Delusions about the supremacy of Cyric and the falseness of all other gods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
That sounds cool.

Going by 'Dirty Tricks', throwing sand on someone is a DX-based attack with a +4 to the roll. I guess only Dodge is a valid defence to it.
A Block might help, with a large enough shield, although you're going to need a new shield after that.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:02 AM   #33
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Ah, I'm a bit rusty on my Realms mythology. Possibly the lesser cloaks induce Callous and OPH: Carrion Breath, while the Greater Cloak will also start causing Compulsive Behaviour: Kill people and leave their bodies for the vultures. Since killing people and dumping their bodies is the sort of thing devotees of Cyric are likely to do anyway, Abu Jafar may not have even been aware of this particular side-effect. It seems in line with
That could work, as long as the Compulsive Behaviour is not all that frequent. They may be bandits, but it is not as if they meet people to kill every single day. There may be weeks where there is no one to fight except fellow members of the band and trade partners that are vital to their survival.

If some of their members kept killing their fellow bandits, thus weakening the power of the Lord of the Grinning Skull, and/or attacking the unscrupulous traders who bought their loot and brought them luxuries instead, thus reducing the wealth and comfort of said Lord, well, the Sheikh would not have been kind about that sort of behaviour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
A Block might help, with a large enough shield, although you're going to need a new shield after that.
Yes, I might treat a successful Block the same as I do it for breath weapons and the like, as providing the Cover DR of the shield to areas of the character's choice, limited by the size of the shield.

Then I calculate damage for the least protected area and the most protected area (counting Cover DR here), sum them and divide by two.*

*A slightly modified method of calculating area attack damage to un-Sealed armour.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #34
Mateus

I am marveled about how many great ideas we have here!

Let me give a small contribution.

I made these as advantages granted by itens but we can easilly say it is just magic and do not require points:

BLACK LION SKIN: This is a blessed cloak made of the skin of a black lion, found only in the great desert. He should be stuck to the back of the user, protecting the user from damage with DR7 coming from that direction and reduces physical damage by half, before considering any DR, anywhere in the body.
STATS: Damage Resistance 7 (Directional: Back -40%, Gadget: Blessed Black Lion Skin – DR 6 -10%, Inconvenient Effort To Repair -7%, SM 0 -25%, Can Be Stolen If Forcefully Removed – Not Immediately Useful -5%) + Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction 2 (Gadget: Blessed Black Lion Skin – DR 6 -10%, Inconvenient Effort To Repair -7%, SM 0 -25%, Can Be Stolen If Forcefully Removed – Not Immediately Useful -5%, Limited Defenses: Physical Attacks -20%).
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #35
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
I am marveled about how many great ideas we have here!
Yeah, I'm very happy to see forumites contributing such excellent and imaginative ideas. By all means, keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
Let me give a small contribution.

I made these as advantages granted by itens but we can easilly say it is just magic and do not require points:

BLACK LION SKIN: This is a blessed cloak made of the skin of a black lion, found only in the great desert. He should be stuck to the back of the user, protecting the user from damage with DR7 coming from that direction and reduces physical damage by half, before considering any DR, anywhere in the body.
STATS: Damage Resistance 7 (Directional: Back -40%, Gadget: Blessed Black Lion Skin – DR 6 -10%, Inconvenient Effort To Repair -7%, SM 0 -25%, Can Be Stolen If Forcefully Removed – Not Immediately Useful -5%) + Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction 2 (Gadget: Blessed Black Lion Skin – DR 6 -10%, Inconvenient Effort To Repair -7%, SM 0 -25%, Can Be Stolen If Forcefully Removed – Not Immediately Useful -5%, Limited Defenses: Physical Attacks -20%).
Thanks, that's very cool.

One question, though? It says Not Immediately Useful... what does it take for it to become useful for the thief? Some ceremony? A magic word? Just wearing it for a while?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #36
Mateus

Quote:
One question, though? It says Not Immediately Useful... what does it take for it to become useful for the thief? Some ceremony? A magic word? Just wearing it for a while?
My bad. To construct the item is needed the skin of a fresh killed black lion and the user must participat in a ritual in wich he have to drink a black lion's blood. The thief would need to do a similar ritual to use the item. Not that imaginative, but it worked nice as the final (and reward) after a long hunt for one of these Black Lions, in the middle of a desert in my game.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #37
Gedrin

The Complete Songs of Sidhya bin RookThe pages of the collection can be commanded to sing the songs. While the music is of modest skill, it is the composer's own voice. Sidhya bin Rook composed many famed songs, frequently with important historic observations on her time. Most importantly, several heretofore unknown works of cultural and historical note are in the collection, including two companion pieces that form a triptych with her most famed work. It's a significant cultural find with superior commercial value in the right hands. Also, this is a good place to put a hook for a future adventure. Secrets unnoticed by the warlord who currently holds the Songs might be noticed by the cultural connoisseurs attempting to purchase them from the PC's.

Last edited by Gedrin; 01-23-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #38
Fwibos

Quote:
That sounds cool.

Presumably there are a limited number of doses and each dose does perhaps 2d corr damage or so. Throwing all the sand on someone would do 20d corr if there are 10 doses, then.

That[s how I see it.

And god, you are terrible. A horrifying fright-check inducing way to kill someone, but worse it's wasteful.

You could probably use 3-4 doses per person. Say 5 to be safe.

But man, it could also be used as a fun way to take off limbs cleanly.

Oooh, barbers could use tiny amounts to clear dead skin and infection from a wound.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #39
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
The Complete Songs of Sidhya bin RookThe pages of the collection can be commanded to sing the songs. While the music is of modest skill, it is the composer's own voice. Sidhya bin Rook composed many famed songs, frequently with important historic observations on her time. Most importantly, several heretofore unknown works of cultural and historical note are in the collection, including two companion pieces that form a triptych with her most famed work. It's a significant cultural find with superior commercial value in the right hands. Also, this is a good place to put a hook for a future adventure. Secrets unnoticed by the warlord who currently holds the Songs might be noticed by the cultural connoisseurs attempting to purchase them from the PC's.
Cultural connoiseurs are actually among the PCs, even. Two PCs have Literature for the appropriate culture, at 15+ and one has Expert Skill (Bardic Knowledge) at 14. I think there are two or three with Poetry skill and one has Singing at 18 or so.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #40
Dalillama

Quote:
That could work, as long as the Compulsive Behaviour is not all that frequent. They may be bandits, but it is not as if they meet people to kill every single day. There may be weeks where there is no one to fight except fellow members of the band and trade partners that are vital to their survival.
Hmm. Callous, Sadism, and Bloodlust would probably emulate what I'm going for. They're all traits that Abu Jafar would probably have anyway as a devotee of Cyric, so he wouldn't notice or care that the cloak induced them too.

Sandstorm Pipes:
These would be an item found in the ruins. They are a set of Ney Abnan bagpipes which allow a skilled player to control the winds. Unless one of the Sheikh's magic users was musically inclined, though, they may not know this. Particular tunes call forth particular effects, and new compositions have unpredictable effects. This is not an instrument for the beginner. The knowledge of which songs do what is lost as well. Perhaps the bin Rook volume could be of help?
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forgotten realms, gurps magic, magic items