Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #61
naloth

Default Re: GURPS Supers Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
2) Skill Adaptations, ok.
2) DWA, you didn't miss it, I haven't included it. I was trying to avoid to add maneuvers. Maybe I should make an exception for that.
If you want to avoid using maneuvers, WM (Billy Club) is also a good choice. He would get +2 damage and the ability to parry/rapid strike better. An attack at 20 & 17 with +2 damage might be better than 2 strikes at 20 with a -1 to defense that don't have the bonus.

He could do 20/17/14 strikes quite easily that way.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #62
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
He can selectively not ignite bits of himself or have Reed make some specials stuff so it's not hard to justify. I just don't recall him wearing armor.
I think one of the challenges in doing a linked ability is that while Johnny would be able to selective not apply his aura to certain body parts (like say his arms+hands) while exercising that option, any DR based on "I'm surrounded by flames" shouldn't protect those areas against targeted attacks either.

Mechanically, we need to distinguish between "DR only works when Aura is turned on" vs "DR is limited to body parts covered by Aura" in terms of price. The latter is more restricted and should probably be worth a better discount. If Johnny removes his flame sheath from his arms to hold some damsel, then someone can probably shoot him in the arm without worrying about the bullets being burned up.

I wonder if his DR ought to be "All or Nothing" too. If Johnny's aura doesn't inflict enough damage to reduce a projectile into ash (like say, an arrow of adamantium) then would it actually do less damage to him?

You could also have weird stuff like "I am an insubstantial with affects substantial throwing knives"

Quote:
Only heals from fire/heat damage -0%
Just noticed this. What's this based on? Were you wanting to build Absorption into it?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #63
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I wonder if his DR ought to be "All or Nothing" too. If Johnny's aura doesn't inflict enough damage to reduce a projectile into ash (like say, an arrow of adamantium) then would it actually do less damage to him?
I look at it as a kinetic cushion, preventing most impacts but softening others. That's comic book physics for letting Johnny not get creamed by one good hit that gets past his DR.

Quote:
Just noticed this. What's this based on? Were you wanting to build Absorption into it?
Yes, if you read just before that there's "Heals HP +80%" which is taken from Rev's alternate Absorption rules.

Next revision I'll remove "cannot wear armor" with the assumption that aside from the Thing (who likes running around in boxers), they all do wear costumes that provide armor (kevlar).
Old 01-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #64
DreadDomain

Quote:
Wheel-Man! of course. He can pilot/drive any small craft (it says 1 person, but in the spirit of a get away driver, I'd let it have a couple of passengers or a bit of loot). His talent would only apply to piloting, but that just makes him better at flying any aircraft than cars. It might be better to switch this to Pilot!, but I was trying a different skill.
I thought so. Just a bit counter-intuitive to have it under Wheel-Man but it works

Quote:
I was saving him for Red, but he's not hard to write up. At point of ST, perhaps two of HT, Tough Guy Talent 2, Skills: Bartending (professional), Brawling, Guns, and IA to start with...
Duh, I didn't think about the Reds!
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #65
naloth

Quote:
Duh, I didn't think about the Reds!
He is anger, IMO it fits him much better... Just like Batman would have a yellow ring since he inspires great fear. WW probably would get purple (nok nok), but doesn't really need it. ;)
Old 01-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #66
DreadDomain

Quote:
If you want to avoid using maneuvers, WM (Billy Club) is also a good choice. He would get +2 damage and the ability to parry/rapid strike better. An attack at 20 & 17 with +2 damage might be better than 2 strikes at 20 with a -1 to defense that don't have the bonus.

He could do 20/17/14 strikes quite easily that way.
Didn't absolutely wanted to avoid maneuvers. In fact, my updated post includes it.

I would think TbaM with Billy Club used with Karate (Skill Adaptation) would be sufficient for better parry/rapid strike. The damage bonus is included in Karate at DX+2.

By the way, in KYOS do you make a distinction between Karate at DX+1 (+1 damage per die according to normal rules) and Karate at DX+2 (+2 damage per die according to normal rules)?
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #67
naloth

Quote:
By the way, in KYOS do you make a distinction between Karate at DX+1 (+1 damage per die according to normal rules) and Karate at DX+2 (+2 damage per die according to normal rules)?
Yes, per an earlier suggestion by nudj, +1/die converts to a flat +2. +2/die converts to a flat +4.

The post was here http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=26

Prior to that I had been giving half that (+1 per +1/die), but I did a bit of math and his suggestion seemed better.

Quote:
I would think TbaM with Billy Club used with Karate (Skill Adaptation) would be sufficient for better parry/rapid strike. The damage bonus is included in Karate at DX+2.
Yes, of course. I forgot he had TBaM.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #68
naloth

Take 2...

Green Lantern Template
ST 12 [ 20 ]
DX 12 [ 40 ]
IQ 12 Will 16 [ 56 ]
HT 12 [ 20 ]
Speed 6 [ 0 ]

Ring (Pact -10%; Stolen -5%)
DR 20 (Hardened/5 +100%; Ring -15%) [ 185 ]
DR 5 (Field Projection; Affects Others +50%; Area 2 yds +50%; FF+20%; Selective +20%; Ring -15%) [ 54 ]
Doesn’t Breathe (Affects Others +50%; Area 2 yds +50%; FF +20%; Selective Effect +20%; Ring -15%) [ 43 ]
Enhanced Move 5 (Affects Others +50%; Area +50%; FF +20%; Selective Area +20%; Ring -15%; Underwater +20%; AA: FF) [ 245 ]
Flight (Affects Others +50%; Area +50%; FF +20%; Selective Area +20%; Space +50%; Underwater +20%; Ring -15%) [ 118 ]
IA! 8d cr (Force Projection!, 34 points; Ring -15%; AA: EM) [ 21 ]
IA 8d (Shapes DR 24 HP4; Area 8 hexes +150%; Persistent +40%; Wallx2, Rigid +60%; Ring -15%; AA: EM) [ 19 ]
Pressure Support 3 (Affects Others +50%; Area +50%; FF +20%; Selective Area +20%; Ring -15%) [ 34 ]
Sealed (Affects Others +50%; Area +50%; FF +20%; Selective Area +20%; Ring -15%) [ 34 ]
Telesend (Universal +50%; Ring -15%) [ 26 ]
Vacuum Support (Affects Others +50%; Area +50%; FF +20%; Selective Area +20%; Ring -15%) [ 12 ]
Warp (X-Hvy Enc +50%; Hyperspace -25%; Ring -15%; AA: FF) [ 22 ]

Encyclopedist! (WC) [ 24 ]

Total [ 973 ]

Hal Jordan
Will +6 [ 30 ]
High Pain Threshold [ 10 ]
Talent: Hot Shot Pilot 4 [ 20 ]
Brawling-12 (DX) [1]; Courtier!-10 (WC-2) [6]; IA-15 (DX+3) [8]; Ten-Hut!-10 (WC-2) [6]; Wheel-Man!-12 (WC) [24] [ 45 ]
Total [ 1078 ]

Kyle Rayner
IQ+1 [ 20 ]
Will +1 [ 5 ]
DX+1 [ 20 ]
Talent: Gifted Artist 3 [ 15 ]
Art-12 (WC-1) [12]; IA-14 (DX+2) [4]; Negotiator!-13 (WC) [24] [ 40 ]
Total [ 1073 ]

John Stewart
IQ+1 [ 20 ]
Will +1 [ 5 ]
Combat Reflexes [ 15 ]
Talent: Master Builder 2 [ 10 ]
Architecture-14 (IQ+1) [4]; Brawling-13 (DX) [1]; IA-14 (DX+2) [4]; Guns (Rifle)-13 (DX) [1]; Ten-Hut!-14 (WC+1) [36] [ 46 ]
Total [ 1079 ]

Red Lantern Template
ST 13 [ 30 ]
DX 11 [ 20 ]
IQ 11 [ 20 ]
HT 13 [ 30 ]
Spd 6 [ 0 ]

Ring (Pact -15%; Avenge Insults; No Heart; No Compassion; No Love; Vengeance Before All)
Affliction 3 (Rage; Afflicts Berserk w/6- and Battle Rage, +30%; Area 4 yds +100%; Contested by Will +20%; Malediction 2 +150%; Ring -15%) [ 57 ]
Berserk (12-, Ring -15%) [ -8 ]
DR 25 (Hardened/5 +100%; Ring -15%) [ 232 ]
Detect (Rage; Common; Reflexive +40%) [ 28 ]
Doesn’t Breathe (Ring -15%) [ 17 ]
Enhanced Move 5 (Ring -15%; Underwater +20%; AA:) [ 85 ]
Flight (Space +50%; Underwater +20%; Ring -15%) [ 118 ]
IA 4d cr (Wall DR 12 HP 2; Area 8 hexes +150%; Persistent +40%; Wall, Rigid +60%; Ring -15%) [ 47 ]
IA 4d corr (Vomit; Cyclic, 1 sec +100%; Cyclic, 10 sec +50%; Jet +0%; Uncontrollable -20%; Ring -15%) [ 86 ]
IA 8d cr (Force Projection; Ring -15%) [ 34 ]
IT (No Vitals, Ring -15%) [ 5 ]
Mind Probe (Universal +50%; Ring -15%) [ 27 ]
Pressure Support 3 (Ring -15%) [ 15 ]
Sealed (Ring -15%) [ 15 ]
Telesend (Universal +50%; Ring -15%) [ 26 ]
Vacuum Support (Ring -15%) [ 5 ]
Warp (X-Hvy Enc +50%; Hyperspace -25%; Ring -15%; AA: FF) [ 22 ]

Total [ 911 ]

Guy Gardner
ST +1 [ 10 ]
Will +5 [ 25 ]
HT +1 [ 10 ]
Talent: Tough Guy 4 [ 20 ]
Bad Temper (12-) [-10], Bully (12-) [-10], Impulsive (12-) [-10] [ -30 ]
Bartending-10 (IQ-1) [1]; Brawling-14 (DX+3) [8]; IA-12 (DX+1) [2]; Security!-12 [24]; Teaching-10 (IQ-1) [1] [ 36 ]
Total [ 992 ]

Design Notes
This is a second take on the lantern corps with a first stab at Red Lanterns featuring Guy (haven't done Rankorr yet, since he really doesn't have much character). Again, this would be as if I was helping players come up with PCs that came to around 1000 points.

For the GL ring I dropped the ranged FF projection. It's a bit borderline and too expensive for what it does. Instead, I traded that for a IA that creates walls in whatever shape the GL can manage. Most typically use simple objects. Raynor's are detailed and artistic. Stewart's are built as if he used real materials. As befitting the role of galactic peace keeper, GLs can extend most of survival and movement advantages to others as necessary and can communicate to any race they come across. Each green ring also has a huge database of facts the GL corps have collected over thousands of years policing the universe.

Red rings tend to choose those with great anger. To become a red lantern is to loose compassion and love as vengeance. You loose your heart - literally - as the red ring consumes it and lets its rage sustain you. Without the extraordinary help, you cannot stop being a Red. If you don't follow the code you weaken and eventually die. Most reds have personal disads that help trigger berserk rages. The ring amplifies rather than creates rage.

Reds are tough, capable of vomiting forth plasma that eats anything, capable of producing rough constructs, firing violent bolts of energy, sensing rage, pulling or reading events from victims, and infecting others with their unquenchable rage. They don't get invited anywhere, but have the same sorts of survival traits as the greens that allow them to go anywhere punishing whomever offends that at that moment.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #69
Plane

Quote:
I look at it as a kinetic cushion, preventing most impacts but softening others. That's comic book physics for letting Johnny not get creamed by one good hit that gets past his DR.
In that case, why limit it to just ranged, why not all physical attacks?

I haven't read enough F4 to recall instances of when he's been hit with energy blasts to know if he is as hurt by those as normal humans.

Quote:
Yes, if you read just before that there's "Heals HP +80%" which is taken from Rev's alternate Absorption rules.
Ah I see it now, didn't process it there the first time. Is it alternate rules or just alternate semantics? 80% instead of 100% sounds like the usual deal when you can only spend the pool on one thing.

Given you can used Increased Duration to slow the rate at which you lose the stored points, do you think you could used Reduced Duration to speed that up? I'm not sure if Johnny can hold on to heat to heal 10 seconds later or if he'd have to use it immediately.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #70
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
In that case, why limit it to just ranged, why not all physical attacks?
I didn't put that much thought into it.

Quote:
Ah I see it now, didn't process it there the first time. Is it alternate rules or just alternate semantics? 80% instead of 100% sounds like the usual deal when you can only spend the pool on one thing.
Alternate rules. They are on Rev's website.

Quote:
Given you can used Increased Duration to slow the rate at which you lose the stored points, do you think you could used Reduced Duration to speed that up? I'm not sure if Johnny can hold on to heat to heal 10 seconds later or if he'd have to use it immediately.
It does drain away at 1/sec already.

Tags
supers