Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2022, 02:13 PM   #31
Apollonian

Default Re: [BANESTORM] Ending slavery in the Evil Empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I don't think Megalos' legal system will be very supportive of that idea for slaves.
I could see the reformist Emperor founding some kind of slave-holding guild or enterprise owned by abolitionists or whatnot as a long-game means of creating an abolitionist-minded monopoly on slave ownership that will lead to soft abolition. It is, of course, the kind of thing that can go wrong quickly in ways that make for interesting gaming.
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #32
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I recall someone's suggestion for Transhuman Space, where one class of AIs were not legally people in one country, and the workaround was to have the AI owned by a corporation which owns nothing else and is controlled by the AI.
Not sure if that would work in the Banestorm setting, given that the THS workaround only really works because the governments of Transhuman Earth respect the rights of the foreign owner not to destroy/repossess their property at will. I find it questionable that Megalos would respect the laws of a foreign nation enough to make that a plausible solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The majority of farm labor in Megalos is done by serfs, not slaves, as far as I can tell.
I suppose it could change over time, depending on the prices of slave labour, the ability of lords of the manor to extract payment alternative to corvee (i.e. cash), and the ability of lords to evict serfs (or serfs to flee on their own). Slavery is more advantageous to the lord, as they collected all the produce of the land a slave worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Slaves by Law are excommunicated criminals. They are owned by the crown, so "you can't free them" usually won't apply, because it sounds like the emperor usually doesn't sell them. They're also the defacto prison system.
Well if it's anything like the system of penal labour in the late 19th century United States, it's probable the crown would be renting them out to somebody else. Given the size of Megalos, local officials would probably have a great deal of latitude in sentencing and disposal of penal labour.

Using murderers and traitors for penal labour doesn't make much sense though.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #33
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Using murderers and traitors for penal labour doesn't make much sense though.
Using them for jobs that are going to kill you (such as low tech salt mining) has been used historically.

Tags
banestorm, megalos, slavery