Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:58 AM   #21
WyvernKing

Default Re: G.E.V. unit tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCestero View Post
Quick question: what were his GEVs doing at this time?

I'd say the value of GEVs is situationally dependent -- because it involves everything not firepower or range (a pair of constants). Speed can also kill, but it usually requires more skill to make the most of it. If you were maneuvering early, while he was close to his CPs then he probably had the interior lines advantage over you. Think two circles of different radius but the same origin. A faster force moving along the outer radius can be countered by a slower force on the inner circle. It is hard to make GEVs work against a mix of heavy and missile tanks... they just have more firepower and better armor. It takes time and patience and paying close attention to terrain and planning your GEV retreats properly. It's definitely an acquired skill. The other "Proof of Mastery" in Ogre is how you manage your infantry -- but that's another topic (and my 'solution' is grab the high 'D' terrain as anvils for my other forces hammers. It's not elegant, but offensive infantry against someone who knows what they're doing is hard. I throw myself on the mercy of the court).

But to answer your question more directly (without knowing the details), is no, it's (almost) never too early to start maneuvering. You maneuvering (done right) forces the other guy to start guessing. It distracts him from his own plans, and that is good. You might not have maneuvered enough, or just done some random/aimless maneuvering (hey, we've all been there) to burn up movement instead of purposeful maneuvering to threaten something he valued, or maybe he just out-thought you. Darned enemies keep wanting to win too!

Last bit: you'll notice the expansion to OGRE was called "GEV". Not "HEAVY TANK", not "MISSILE TANK", not even "MOBILE HOWITZER". Don't think that was without reason.
His G.E.V.s were transporting infantry, all he brought were G.E.V. PCs.

But, you were probably right in regards to "not maneuvering enough/aimless manuevering", I'm not sure I really knew what I wanted to do with the G.E.V.s and ended up just sort of throwing them at the enemies without much tactical finesse.
WyvernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:01 AM   #22
WyvernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
As well as being able to roll hits on an average basis. I shot at Steve's Ogre at Origins 125 times. got 10 hits.
Well this is definitly something I suffer from as well, I spent an entire turn of shooting in my last game rolling just low enough to miss every shot, even my opponent felt bad for me. Unfortunately I'm not sure this is something I can improve on.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:01 AM   #23
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyvernKing View Post
Well this is definitely something I suffer from as well, I spent an entire turn of shooting in my last game rolling just low enough to miss every shot, even my opponent felt bad for me. Unfortunately I'm not sure this is something I can improve on.
The best - but hardest to pull off - tactic vs bad luck is to isolate an enemy unit and attack it at 5:1. (3:1 is just as good if you just need the D - lone infantry or all the time in the world).

The second-best tactic to beat bad luck in Ogre is to get the biggest cybertank you can and ram. Ram often. That'll cost you treads, but it's almost always worth the trade.

The third-best tactic to beat bad luck is to roll the dice as often as possible at 1:1 odds. Misplaced Buckeye describes the weakness of that tactic. (In public? Good thing we're not Vikings.)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #24
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
The third-best tactic to beat bad luck is to roll the dice as often as possible at 1:1 odds. Misplaced Buckeye describes the weakness of that tactic. (In public? Good thing we're not Vikings.)
Dwalend You can't attack treads at anything better than 1 TO 1.
SEE http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products...Sheet-Ogre.pdf. Maybe read the rules next time. As I said I was attacking Steve's Ogre and there really is NO other way to attack the treads.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #25
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
As well as being able to roll hits on an average basis. I shot at Steve's Ogre at Origins 125 times. got 10 hits.
As I posted on Facebook after a particularly disastrous game for the defense:

Quote:
For the defense to win, two things have to happen. First, the defending player has to know what they're doing, and deploy prudently. Randy did that. Second, the defending player has to roll a statistically reasonable number of 5s and 6s. This did not occur. The Ogre will win if either if these conditions fails.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #26
Aman

The value of the GEV is on the 2-phase movement mechanic. Aside from that, the M4 / R2 gives it a 6-hex threat range which is the same a missile tank, but the Missile Tank has an AT3 which is actually a big deal.

If you have the time - according to the scenario - you can Alpha-strike repeatedly at units that are not covered by a long range threat like a Howitzer to the distance of the 3-hex retreat. So your target must be 4+ hexes away from the covering Howitzer, allowing you to retreat to 9 hexes away, so one hex out of range. Easily predicted given the Howitzer can't move.

On the defense, I'll always take two Lt. Tanks over a GEV. If it is a mixed bag scenario, I'll take a reserve of a few GEVs just in case I get suprised, as their total alpha strike over two turns is 13 hexes, instead of the 8 of a heavy.

Generally, if you are not in a hurry, and the terrain is open, the GEV is deadly. If you have to force an action somewhere, I'd rather have a bunch of heavy tanks and lt tanks, covered by missile tanks.
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:42 PM   #27
Tim Kauffman

Overrunning the enemy with GEVs not only on their first movement but on their secondary movement as well if odds are in your favor and sometimes, even if odds are not, the Overrun gamble can really pay-off. But when it doesn't, you really feel the pain.
This unique ability gives them sharper teeth than other units.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 11-25-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #28
WyvernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
Overrunning the enemy with GEVs not only on their first movement but on their secondary movement as well if odds are in your favor and sometimes, even if odds are not, the Overrun gamble can really pay-off. But when it doesn't, you really feel the pain.
This unique ability gives them sharper teeth than other units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
The value of the GEV is on the 2-phase movement mechanic. Aside from that, the M4 / R2 gives it a 6-hex threat range which is the same a missile tank, but the Missile Tank has an AT3 which is actually a big deal.

If you have the time - according to the scenario - you can Alpha-strike repeatedly at units that are not covered by a long range threat like a Howitzer to the distance of the 3-hex retreat. So your target must be 4+ hexes away from the covering Howitzer, allowing you to retreat to 9 hexes away, so one hex out of range. Easily predicted given the Howitzer can't move.

On the defense, I'll always take two Lt. Tanks over a GEV. If it is a mixed bag scenario, I'll take a reserve of a few GEVs just in case I get suprised, as their total alpha strike over two turns is 13 hexes, instead of the 8 of a heavy.

Generally, if you are not in a hurry, and the terrain is open, the GEV is deadly. If you have to force an action somewhere, I'd rather have a bunch of heavy tanks and lt tanks, covered by missile tanks.
I have definitly been seeing the value of the second movement phase for G.E.V.s for overruns in some smaller games against armour units.

Though I do agree with Aman, In find light tanks more valuable than a G.E.V. in defence.