Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2022, 09:06 PM   #1
stranger38

Default Weapon stat MILLWALL BRICK

Good evening gentlemen.

I am playing a "jackie chan" type of character who is a combat pragmatist. So, cheap shots, dirty tricks, the works.

So, researching to build the character i came across this hooligan weapon, the infamous millwall brick:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gatdail...-weapon/%3famp

in the moat basic i guess it's like the magazine mention3d in MA. but i am interested in the newspaper + rock combination.

how would you stat that? small mace? knobbed club?
stranger38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:05 AM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: Weapon stat MILLWALL BRICK

The basic version is a fist load at best. An advanced version with a rock might be Swing +0 with a good chance to break on every hit.

EDIT

Also "Millwall Brick" sounds like a good name for a British supe, circa 1980s.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:12 PM   #3
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
The basic version is a fist load at best. An advanced version with a rock might be Swing +0 with a good chance to break on every hit.

EDIT

I could see that. Also, 'Millwall and the Bricks' could be a British garbage band in the same era (or a garage band if they're a little better).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:38 PM   #4
stranger38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post

EDIT

Hell yeah lol!
Old 12-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #5
Pursuivant

As another option, treat a rolled up & flattened newspapers wrapped over the knuckles as Cheap-Quality Leather Gloves. They provide DR 1 to the user's fist, but only to avoid damage due to Hurting Yourself with punches.

The logic here is that a rolled up newspaper doesn't add that much mass to the user's fist, nor does it concentrate the force of the user's blow like Brass Knuckles or a heavier Fist Load would.

Newspapers used as wrappers for heavier, more rigid materials turn into Improvised, Cheap-Quality Pommels (thr-1), Hammers (sw+0) or Batons (sw-1), depending on balance, mass, length and grip. They'd all Parry at -1, like a Small Knife, due to short length. Anything Hammer-like might be Unbalanced and become Unready following an attack or parry.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #6
stranger38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
As another option, treat a rolled up & flattened newspapers wrapped over the knuckles as Cheap-Quality Leather Gloves. They provide DR 1 to the user's fist, but only to avoid damage due to Hurting Yourself with punches.

The logic here is that a rolled up newspaper doesn't add that much mass to the user's fist, nor does it concentrate the force of the user's blow like Brass Knuckles or a heavier Fist Load would.

Newspapers used as wrappers for heavier, more rigid materials turn into Improvised, Cheap-Quality Pommels (thr-1), Hammers (sw+0) or Batons (sw-1), depending on balance, mass, length and grip. They'd all Parry at -1, like a Small Knife, due to short length. Anything Hammer-like might be Unbalanced and become Unready following an attack or parry.
Nice. thanks
Old 12-07-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I could see that. Also, 'Millwall and the Bricks' could be a British garbage band in the same era (or a garage band if they're a little better).
Some decades earlier it might be a tough police detective with one of those distinctive British given names. Or he might be James Millwall Brick, but go by his middle name.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:14 PM   #8
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger38 View Post
in the moat basic i guess it's like the magazine mention3d in MA. but i am interested in the newspaper + rock combination.

how would you stat that? small mace? knobbed club?
Probably +1 sw cr damage and no thrust damage relative to the rolled-magazine baton in GURPS Martial Arts. Its shorter, lighter, and especially softer than the small mace or knobbed club (the paper would pad the impact).

The rolled-magazine baton was taught to SOE in WW II, so its not new.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 12-07-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:04 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Some decades earlier it might be a tough police detective with one of those distinctive British given names. Or he might be James Millwall Brick, but go by his middle name.
George Lazenby as Detective Inspector James Millwall Brick on "Brick of the Mill" airing on BBC Four.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote