Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #301
Varyon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Faster Than Light Question III
6) A combined 1 - only physical objects can get through, meaning spirits need a vessel to travel through one - and 5 - the gates themselves can be modulated for communication - but with the caveat that the communication allowed by 5 is rather low-bandwidth. Basically, SGC figures out how to do the communication fairly early (or is informed of how to do it by a friendly native of one of the early worlds they visit); initially they can send information at a rate roughly equivalent to a sentence per minute, but once they've optimized their methods maybe something like a paragraph per minute. Note this implies an initial rate of around a byte per second, an optimized rate of around 5 bytes per second. That should allow for the GDO and Iris systems (although the SG team will need to wait a bit for the transmission to be accepted), as well as brief emergency messages. The MALP will need a degree of automation to function - it could probably be designed to go through, collect the relevant data, then send a fairly simple message back regarding its findings (if it needs to send pictures or video, equip it with a compressed-air "cannon" that can shoot a ruggedized, small harddrive back through the gate... or have it reverse back through). Of course, once SGC gets a handle on magic, they may be able to design a MALP golem that is more reliable.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:12 AM   #302
Fred Brackin

1. I'm okay with very little communication passing through gates and need for either the IRIS or the MALF made any sense. I certainly wouldn't build a door to locations I did not control without a way to lock it and Gates do not go to _random_ locations.

Locking sequences and environmental chevrons do imply a certain level of communication between the Gates themselves but it's just not very necessary for the users to be able to use them for instantaneous communications.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:07 PM   #303
TGLS

1, but you can communicate using Morse code against an Iris by throwing rocks through the wormhole to smash against the Iris (or if you're really sophisticated, a particle beam). In either case the communication is one way only.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:33 PM   #304
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
1, but you can communicate using Morse code against an Iris by throwing rocks through the wormhole to smash against the Iris (or if you're really sophisticated, a particle beam). In either case the communication is one way only.
Give the SG teams a way to modulate the full-auto fire of their SMG's to send a message in Morse, then they activate the gate, fire a burst, and wait for SGC to open the iris and toss a signal ball through (green means come on through; red means you can't come now - SGC just opened the middle of the Iris, tossed the ball through, and closed it again; yellow means there's trouble at SGC, so come through at the ready; orange means SGC thinks you're compromised, so secure your gear and come through with your hands above your heads and lie face down to be cuffed).
Old 12-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #305
Prince Charon

In case it needs to be said, the poll remains open, because what we have right now isn't exactly a consensus. Even the two votes for 1 seem to each be looking at 1 a bit differently (or I'm not parsing them correctly).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #306
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'll vote for 1 and 5.

Yes, I'm back in the thread!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 05:01 AM   #307
Prince Charon

Later, when I hope to be more awake, i will recount the votes, and post the next question, which is either going to be a clarification of this one if my tired mind is correct about how the results came out, or the first Interdimensional Travel question, if this one doesn't need further clarification.

Poll remians open for now, but will probably close later todaye or some time tommorrow.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:08 AM   #308
adm

1 and 5, I suspect that small radio beacons* can be tossed through to spread information. Also MALPs on a cable ought to work, just note the gates time limit.

*Note I am suggesting what Earth uses, I would assume other powers would use their versions of these items. i.e. a rock with a magic mouth on it yelling info also works.

Last edited by adm; 12-10-2022 at 08:11 AM.
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:24 AM   #309
Prince Charon

Interdimensional Travel Question I

How is interdimentional travel accomplished in this setting?

1. Only the Stargates can be used.

2. Supergates and wormhole drives may also be used for parachronic transfer.

3. Quantum mirrors exist and allow travel between dimensions independent of the 'gates, but only to the same geographic location on the same planet.

4. Conveyors similar to those in Infinite Worlds do exist and work in this setting, with the same limitations as the quantum mirrors, above. Spacecraft or other vehicles may be modified to work in this manner.

5. Something else (please specify).

Please remember to include the number(s) of your preferred option(s) when you vote.

Answer: adm's version of 5 wins, with four votes: 'Stargates, and supergates may be used, but NOT wormhole drives. Interdimensional travel must use fixed locations with major ley line junctions.'

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 12-17-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:28 AM   #310
Kesendeja

2. Supergates and wormhole drives may also be used for parachronic transfer.

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding