Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #61
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Nordlond Bestiary and Enemies Book: Now LIVE on Kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I'm slowly working through a 'what it can replace' list over on the GURPSwiki. Much of the Classic: Vikings Bestiary is of course there.
I would be cautious about "replace." My own preference would be "supplement" or "shake up," because a monster isn't a monster if it's predictable.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #62
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I would be cautious about "replace." My own preference would be "supplement" or "shake up," because a monster isn't a monster if it's predictable.
I meant in terms of go to and use. Much of what this will "replace" is Classic material which does require some tweaking (however minimal) to work with 4e.

Classic: Vikings already comes up a lot, though there are some Classic: Bestiary, Faerie, and even Blood Types thrown in.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #63
DouglasCole

48-hour Warning on the Bestiary and Enemies Book

Fans of Steve Jackson Games GURPS, Powered by GURPS, and the Dungeon Fantasy RPG have been asking for this since 2004. Let's drive and hit the 240pg stretch goal! Please come and pledge!

There are over 400 people following the campaign who haven't pledged yet. If they all did so (they won't, but let's be irrationally exuberant) we'd crush the page-count stretch goals and be within $1,000 of the TFT conversion promised in an early update.

There's a bit to go, but this is absolutely doable.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:00 AM   #64
DreadDomain

I finally pledged! If I may offer my opinion on the layout of the character sheet, I find the layout of the cards to be quite excellent and in fact much better than the layout used in the book. I find the attributes and secondary characteristics in the book a bit too all over the place when it comes to placement and font size. On the cards, it's super crisp! It helps that control ratings are at the bottom of the sheet.

Thank you for undertaking this (nerve wracking, I am sure) project. I've got everything Norlond so far and this will be a fine addition.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #65
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
I finally pledged! If I may offer my opinion on the layout of the character sheet, I find the layout of the cards to be quite excellent and in fact much better than the layout used in the book. I find the attributes and secondary characteristics in the book a bit too all over the place when it comes to placement and font size. On the cards, it's super crisp! It helps that control ratings are at the bottom of the sheet.

Thank you for undertaking this (nerve wracking, I am sure) project. I've got everything Norlond so far and this will be a fine addition.
I like the card layout too, and there will be some parts of it that get moved over to the current layout. The font size issue on some of the preview imagery is noted and agreed. I'm going to play around with some new "core stat block" size and layout and see what I can do.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #66
DouglasCole

The Nordlond Fantasy Bestiary and Enemies book is now 160 pages, with 25 hours to go.

It has surpassed The Citadel at Nordvorn in backer count, making the Bestiary the highest backer count of any Dungeon Fantasy RPG project I've run thus far.

The next stretch goal for 176 pages is at $46,000 - the funding is at this moment at $43,400 ... so $2,600 or (going by the average) about 36 backers.

The stretch goals from here to the maximum at $62,000 are pretty close together. $4,000 per 16 pages additional until the maximum at 240 pages.

There are over 400 folks following the campaign who have not yet pledged.

We can still do this. I mean, we're gonna be a bit winded at the end, but it's still possible to hit the goals given "assets in hand."
Old 12-07-2021, 01:24 AM   #67
DreadDomain

Quote:
I like the card layout too, and there will be some parts of it that get moved over to the current layout. The font size issue on some of the preview imagery is noted and agreed. I'm going to play around with some new "core stat block" size and layout and see what I can do.
The updated layout you posted earlier today is much, much better, thank you. A bit of tweaks here and there and you are on to something
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #68
DouglasCole

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3380470

A generous backer just pumped in enough to push the project to 176 pages...but Kickstarter didn't allocate the full boost to the total. The tally seems to be missing as much as $750!!

I have contacted Kickstarter and told them to knock it the h**l off, because folks are looking (rightly!) at page count for the pledge value and this is an important step

Edited to add: After widening to as much as $1,300 to $1,800, the front-end tally finally caught up with the pledges, and we seem to be sitting at $47,000 - handily past the $46K goal and giving the side-eye to 192 pages at $50K.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 12-07-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #69
Farmer

Quote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3380470

A generous backer just pumped in enough to push the project to 176 pages...but Kickstarter didn't allocate the full boost to the total. The tally seems to be missing as much as $750!!

I have contacted Kickstarter and told them to knock it the h**l off, because folks are looking (rightly!) at page count for the pledge value and this is an important step
That's simultaneously awesome and terrible. I hope they sort it out soon!
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #70
DouglasCole

A Surge! A Palpable Surge! (With apologies to Hamlet)

From a project looking a bit "meh" suddenly we are threatening to unlock the 196-page goal.

I mean, really. Between Kickstarter glitching and lagging by $1300-$1800 (ow, muh ulcers!) and now being less than $1500 from the NEXT stretch goal at $50,000 for 192 pages...

Things are getting very interesting, and still with five hours to go.

Following Not Backed

There are still over four hundred people who are following this campaign who have not yet backed.

Not only could we conceivably unlock all the stretch goals, if we get close you can bet your buttons we'll start seeing TFT folks start throwing in $15 or more to get that TFT conversion.

So if you're following ... you really have the fate of the campaign in your hands at the moment. If about 180 people come over...we get a 240 page book.

Remember: if we (and much like the Spartans in 300, such wild hopes..., though perhaps that isn't the model I want to use here? My wife would like me to get some of those abs) do hit that $73K stretch goal, everyone who has pledged at least $15 at any level, including "follow the campaign," gets the TFT PDF as part of their pledge.

New Foundry VTT Examples
Nick and Nose have been busy. They sent me these screen-shots of the Foundry VTT monster card presentation.

You can't see them here, as I can't attach images.

But You Can See Them Here

Tags
bestiary, noršlond