Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
Kfireblade

Default GURPS BattleTech, working out heatsinks and the effects of heat buildup

So I'm working on a BattleTech setting to run a campaign in, but I'm really unsure how to work out the mechanics of the heatsinks heat build up for the mechs. Anyone familiar with BattleTech got any ideas?
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
Not

Default Re: GURPS BattleTech, working out heatsinks and the effects of heat buildup

Heat shunting is the limiting factor on the performance of BattleTech mechs, just as "energy" is for Star Trek. A mech can be overtaxed, but it degrades the performance and potentially cooks the pilot.

If you give the machine an HT score based on its heat-shunting ability (relative to its payload) and have it degrade its performance or shut down when it fails a roll, you're halfway there.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Default Re: GURPS BattleTech, working out heatsinks and the effects of heat buildup

Direct and literal translations of BT mechnics to Gurps are problematic because Battletech is set up on a reverse basis from Gurps in some specific aspects.

In Batletech use of weapons is limited by heat but required energy is ignored. Any fusion reactor will provide enough energy to directly power the energy weapons in any combination. One or more PPCs are no harder to power than a small laser.

Gurps cares about the energy but powering the energy weapons from power cells makes a lot more sense than trying to run them directly from the fusion plant. On the other hand Gurps asumes that your Mech is designed efficiently and radiates away waste heat as needed.

I've given up trying top model waste heat problems. About all you could do is transplant BT game mechanics wholesale. After you do that you should probably ignore Gurps' concerns about energy supplies to keep the same feel.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:06 PM   #4
naloth

One option is to use a Action Point system, where you get a certain number of AP per turn (based on your heat sinks) that you can spend on actions. If you overspend you build up heat (borrow from future turns). You could establish thresholds of overspending that hamper you and cook your pilot.

Mechs as characters could have nuisance on advantages (builds X heat) and an advantage (dissipates X heat/turn). Of course, you'd have to work out the costs and restrictions since GURPS wouldn't restrict your "slots" for sticking in weapons and equipment.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #5
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Heat shunting is the limiting factor on the performance of BattleTech mechs, just as "energy" is for Star Trek. A mech can be overtaxed, but it degrades the performance and potentially cooks the pilot.

If you give the machine an HT score based on its heat-shunting ability (relative to its payload) and have it degrade its performance or shut down when it fails a roll, you're halfway there.
Well, the mechs HT score will be used for other things to though. Adding additional heatsinks to a mech will mean it can fire longer and cool down faster but shouldn't on its own bump up the mechs HT. Gonna have to track heat buildup, gonna hve to figure out how fast it drains off, and how much heat any given weapon produces when fired. IIRC in lore the shut down of a mech can be overided, but doing so is dangerous as the heat can cook the pilot and eventually the reactor could go critical if a pilot manages to push a mech far enough. I also belive some mechs are designed to function better when running hot.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
. I also belive some mechs are designed to function better when running hot.
That's from the novels and involves the "Triple Strength Myomer" that Hanse Davion snookered the Liaos with beofre the 3039 war.

Rules for this were eventualy brought into the game books but only one of the special heroes had a special mech fitted with TSM.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #7
Refplace

Well here is a simple idea to simulate the concept.
Heat Exchanger: Regeneration (Fast, ER only) [50].
Energy Reserve (Heat Sinks) [3/level].

Assuming 1 minute combat rounds for vehicle combat, go with Regeneration (Very Fast) [100] if you want second by second combat.

That gives you a powers build, use Metatronic Generators to convert that to a $$ figure if desired or just make something up.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:08 AM   #8
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well here is a simple idea to simulate the concept.
Heat Exchanger: Regeneration (Fast, ER only) [50].
Energy Reserve (Heat Sinks) [3/level].

Assuming 1 minute combat rounds for vehicle combat, go with Regeneration (Very Fast) [100] if you want second by second combat.

That gives you a powers build, use Metatronic Generators to convert that to a $$ figure if desired or just make something up.

yes, run it as fast regenerating ER. Be sure to have the sprinting/jumpjets/lasers all come from ER (and only from ER) to keep the same relationship between movement, energy weapons and ballistic/missile weapons.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
yes, run it as fast regenerating ER. Be sure to have the sprinting/jumpjets/lasers all come from ER (and only from ER) to keep the same relationship between movement, energy weapons and ballistic/missile weapons.
Yep, and with Costs FP once the ER is empty points comr from HT so you have your redlining option already part of the setup.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yep, and with Costs FP once the ER is empty points comr from HT so you have your redlining option already part of the setup.
There are going toi be some problems such as ammuntion using weapons still ahving heat costs too.

The big issue I see is balancing things so that "Mechs that were notorious overheaters in the original material do the same (and to the same extent) in your conversion.

Tags
battletech, heatsinsk, mechwarrior