Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 12:27 AM   #1
BlackHat

Default Index of Space Gamer Magazine articles?

I recently was trying to locate a Sci-Fi story I read and thought it might have been published in Space Gamer Magazine. (I subscribed and owned every issue from #14 to SJGs last issue (#76) (along with the 6 issues of The Fantasy Gamer)

I tried to find an index of the contents of the magazine somewhere but only found BGGs list of the first 26 issues. And RPG.nets list, But it does not have an index, so you would have to review each issue to check its contents.

Does SGJ have an index on site of the articles and fiction published in The Space Gamer?

Link to the question I posted on the SF&F Stack Exchange website.
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...their-problems
Old 09-16-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Index of Space Gamer Magazine articles?

I don't know of an index, but I have the PDFs, so if you can remember any distinctive words from the story, I can search for them.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:02 AM   #3
BlackHat

Default Re: Index of Space Gamer Magazine articles?

I dont remember any distinctive words, (its been 30+ years)

Here is the text of my question and recollection of the story is from the link above.

Quote:
I recall a story probably 20-30 years ago (pretty sure it was a short story) in which a top gamer hears about a new computer game out that no one can beat. So he gets it and starts playing it. (Pretty sure it was before the age of playstation & x-box so it might be even older)

IIRC the game had little or no intro or rules explained. You start the game and have to figure it out.

It was an astronomical space battle puzzle. You launch your ship from a planet orbiting a sun in a binary (trinary?) system, and have to leave the system. But he finds if you boost to long, or to hard, ships from other planets (around the other stars?) will detect you, intercept, and destroy your ship.

So he starts playing and trying different things, and then goes power gamer mode, playing non-stop on caffeinated drinks and snacks for a couple days and finally solves it. I think it was by doing low powered gravity assists on a couple planets and looping around the suns a couple times until he builds up enough speed to escape the solar system.

At which point the perspective pulls back to that of a few aliens in their ship who are viewing his solution. They are amazed at his solution and how fast he solved it. They reveal that this is an actual problem they have been working on for months(?) and one of them races off to tell the crew of the real ship (a spy ship?) how to escape detection by the enemies and leave the system.

Then one of the aliens says something like, "You know, we have been having trouble planning the ground assault on xxxx planet, Maybe we should make another new computer game for the humans."

EDIT: Thinking about it now, I think I can vaguely recall an illustration of a figure-eight path the ship makes around the suns. Making me think, it might have been published in a Games or Computer Games magazine. Which would make me think it might be as old as the 1980s. (I read a lot of these in the 80s)

Its also possible it might have been in a SF&F stories magazine, although I did not read many of those except for OMNI.