Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Icelander

Default GURPS Assassin's Creed

A potential new player in a fantasy setting* wants his character to be a magic-using spy and slayer-by-stealth. The Magery part of his character is easy enough to figure out and a list of spells useful to spies and assassins I can make well enough, but he wants the non-magical skill list, techniques and other stuff to be selected with an aim to allow him to replicate some** of the feats done by Ezio Auditore in the computer game Assassin's Creed 2 (and Brotherhood, perhaps).

Not being a computer gamer myself, I have seen this game played a few times, but I would not call myself an expert.

What, precisely, can Ezio do? What styles does the character have? What skill levels? What Advantages?

Would a DX 15 version of him with skill levels of 18 or so in relevant skills feel hopelessly inept? If so, I can reduce spellcasting ability for increased parkour and combat capability.

Are there any necessary techniques?

Any words of advice?

*Forgotten Realms, if it matters.
**For him, of course, that would ideally be all.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Antiquation!

Default Re: GURPS Assassin's Creed

I don't really have time to go through all the nitty-gritty of the character, but think DF Rogue/thief times twenty. DX 15 and 18 in all relevant skills seems pretty much right on, to me. Acrobatics might need to be at 20 or so, though.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
zoncxs

its mostly targeted attacks and sneak attacks that are done. with counter attacks and definitely pakour.

DX 15 is a yes to be able to pull off most of the stuff with acrobatics at 18 or so. targeted attack throat and vitals is a must for him to play an assassin creed assassin. stealth would need to be around 20 too.
so you would need:
DX 15
acrobatics 20+
stealth 20+
brawling or karate at 18+
targeted attacks for vitals and throat at around 15
poisons 15+
observation 15+
shadowing 15+

thats what I can think of.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Icelander

For the styles, I went with Shortsword Fighting and Dagger Fighting. Does that sound about right?

That gives us Judo and Brawling as the primary unarmed skills, because I seem to remember mobile unarmed parries and even some throws. Given that unarmed attacks were mostly used to set up finishing moves with the knives, I thought that the less damage of Brawling was okay, given that it grants us a +2 leeway with tricky targeting.

Getting Climbing and Acrobatics to 20 might be tough. I've currently got a Talent for impersonating people and another for reading the mood of a street (city, really), which are both relevant to the larger vision of the character as chameleon spy, but it might be more important to take a Talent which covers some of his Parkour stuff.

The point budget is 625 points and I've spent 650 without being at all happy with the capabilities. Well, I'm fine with the magic, but the freerunning stabbing thingy needs some help. On the positive side, there are no disadvantages yet.

The potential player knows nothing of GURPS rules, so he was pleased to get a finished character to vet and nick-pick at the start of next session. He's okayed some honour-related disadvantages to make it plausible that an ally of the other characters would recommend him as a loyal and capable agent. Also, to not infringe on the dramatic role of one of the other PCs, who is the resident amoral psychopath.

So, loyal, trustworthy and heroic spy/assassin/illusionist.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
What, precisely, can Ezio do?
When I'm playing? Fall from *really* high places and inexplicably survive, not catch any diseases despite daily immersion in the Venetian sewer system, occasionally kill people.

There are fairly hilarious (and possibly NSFW due to language) reviews of AC1 & AC2 at

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...ssassins-Creed

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...assins-Creed-2

Quote:
What styles does the character have? What skill levels?
Cheeze-fu at 16 or so, with targeted attack (vitals, brain)- when the victim doesn't see the attack coming, high skill levels aren't really necessary. Some custom gear that shouldn't be a problem to just spend money on.

Quote:
What Advantages?
Immunity to Disease and some kind of Injury Tolerance (falling damage only) would definitely be appropriate. Also: enemy (panhandlers). ;-)
Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
Cheeze-fu at 16 or so, with targeted attack (vitals, brain)- when the victim doesn't see the attack coming, high skill levels aren't really necessary.
Fair enough, but it seems that Ezio can reliably hit Chinks in Armour during Rapid Strikes or Dual-Weapon Attacks (in AC:B). And this certainly doesn't get him instantly killed by the victim's friends, so it's not an All-Out Attack of any sort.

I figure I'll give him a Perk to allow a higher Evaluate bonus than usual. That, combined with maybe some Targeted Attacks, should do it. At the upper extreme of awesomeness*, I guess I could use Combinations to allow the dispatching of more than one unsuspecting foe at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
Immunity to Disease and some kind of Injury Tolerance (falling damage only) would definitely be appropriate. Also: enemy (panhandlers). ;-)
As a working theory, I'll assume that the player is actually indifferent to Ezio's robust health. In any event, mundane diseases are not much of a threat in a world with magical healing.

Injury Tolerance would be nice**, but probably too expensive.

*Which would translate into less versatility and capability at the character's other desired roles.
**I actually use it in the setting to represent the supernatural vitality of powerful mortals who can fight dragons or other terrible monsters and survive mostly intact.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #7
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
What, precisely, can Ezio do? What styles does the character have? What skill levels? What Advantages?

Would a DX 15 version of him with skill levels of 18 or so in relevant skills feel hopelessly inept? If so, I can reduce spellcasting ability for increased parkour and combat capability.

Are there any necessary techniques?

Any words of advice?
Check out Pyramid 3-10, page 10, the Il Lavore Veloce style. Pretty much custom designed for shanking people AC style.

As for abilities: Climbing like whoa, Disguise if we're going by his supposed ability as opposed to magical ability to blend into crowds, Acrobatics, basically all the free-running stuff. Styles, I'd give him a fencing style of your choice as well as Il Lavore Veloce. Skill levels of 18-20 would probably be fine for combat and climbing, 16-ish for acrobatics and disguise. Advantages: fit or very fit, CR, he's nobility if currently a little disgraced, so probably status and wealth.

I think you could probably do a very credible Assassins Creed impression by using the Assassin template from DF12, pg 9. Just need to tart him up a bit for TL 4.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
Amra

Quote:
For the styles, I went with Shortsword Fighting and Dagger Fighting. Does that sound about right?

That gives us Judo and Brawling as the primary unarmed skills, because I seem to remember mobile unarmed parries and even some throws. Given that unarmed attacks were mostly used to set up finishing moves with the knives, I thought that the less damage of Brawling was okay, given that it grants us a +2 leeway with tricky targeting.

Getting Climbing and Acrobatics to 20 might be tough. I've currently got a Talent for impersonating people and another for reading the mood of a street (city, really), which are both relevant to the larger vision of the character as chameleon spy, but it might be more important to take a Talent which covers some of his Parkour stuff.

The point budget is 625 points and I've spent 650 without being at all happy with the capabilities. Well, I'm fine with the magic, but the freerunning stabbing thingy needs some help. On the positive side, there are no disadvantages yet.

The potential player knows nothing of GURPS rules, so he was pleased to get a finished character to vet and nick-pick at the start of next session. He's okayed some honour-related disadvantages to make it plausible that an ally of the other characters would recommend him as a loyal and capable agent. Also, to not infringe on the dramatic role of one of the other PCs, who is the resident amoral psychopath.

So, loyal, trustworthy and heroic spy/assassin/illusionist.
Enzio normally carries a number of different weapons. He's got a cestus, a dagger/knife, a medium weapon (sword/mace/hammer), a hidden wrist gun, hidden wrist blades, a crossbow, throwing knives, smoke bombs, and an optional two-handed weapon (either sword or axe).

Enzio is big on counterattack - riposte.

Isn't there a GURPS Ninja supplement? That could be really useful. Enzio can use the smoke bombs to evade pursuit. He can also blend with crowds and "Shadow". He also has contacts/allies with Mercenaries, Thieves and Courtesans.

I'll try to check back and post more later. I'm a fan of the games. AC II and Brotherhood are big improvements over AC I.
Amra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
rosignol

Quote:
Fair enough, but it seems that Ezio can reliably hit Chinks in Armour during Rapid Strikes or Dual-Weapon Attacks (in AC:B). And this certainly doesn't get him instantly killed by the victim's friends, so it's not an All-Out Attack of any sort.
Might be a play-style thing. I generally chose 'evade and escape' rather than 'slug it out' once the guard showed up, mainly because Ezio *isn't* death on legs. He's definitely dangerous, but most of the attacks I used were variations on 'kill defenseless target', 'disarm mook -> kill defenseless target', and 'drop smoke -> kill blind defenseless target'.

I don't know if Ezio's ability is best simulated by high skill and chinks-in-armor, or just the kind of ST score you'd expect of someone who can free-climb hundred-meter towers... IMO, he's blatantly cinematic, and it would be entirely appropriate to throw things like Enhanced Move (Climbing) and some kind of Clinging into the mix rather than trying to get his mundane stats-n-skills to the point where the PC can do what is done in the video game.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Lizard Climb and/or Super Climbing; Clinging is probably too much.
The Perk that gives bonuses against unexpecting opponents (Sucker Punch? whatever).

You can probably get away with a special version of Invisibility Art that requires crowds instead of darkness.

Lots of HT/FP/Very Fit.
Sexy Pose and some points in Sex Appeal to get other uses for all that HT.

Tags
assassin, assassin's creed, dungeon fantasy, forgotten realms, ninja