Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Azrael

Default Affect Self Only Limitation

I've been reading through the forums trying to figure out what Affects Self Only should cost as a limitation. Specifically, for a beneficial Affliction.

I've seen a few posts regarding Healing. However, this is a different matter since Healing can't be used on yourself by default. Therefore, the consensus seems to be that switching it to yourself is a -0% limitation. Allowing Healing to affect yourself as well as others is +50%. So that would indicate that Affects Self Only might be roughly -50% to balance this out. But this is for Healing, so it might not translate to other advantages.

Has an official, or even semi-official answer been given for this? If so I can't seem to find it.

Last edited by Azrael; 08-07-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Affect Self Only Limitation

Beneficial Afflictions can likewise also be used on yourself unmodified.

Furthermore at first glance Beneficial Afflictions seem to be inefficient compared to just buying the ability with an equivalent activation roll in the first place so what would there to gained by such a limitation?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
I've been reading through the forums trying to figure out what Affects Self Only should cost as a limitation. Specifically, for a beneficial Affliction.

I've seen a few posts regarding Healing, however this is a different matter since Healing can be used on yourself by default. Therefore, the consensus seems to be that switching it to yourself is a -0% limitation. Allowing Healing to affect yourself as well as others is +50%. So that would indicate that Affects Self Only might be roughly -50% to balance this out. But this is for Healing, so it might not translate to other advantages.

Has an official, or even semi-official answer been given for this? If so I can't seem to find it.
I assume you meant "a different matter since Healing cannot be used on yourself by default."

Seems pretty close to fair if not on the button, considering you can limit such an affliction with (Melee, C, no parry, -35%) and only affect those you can touch.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Beneficial Afflictions can likewise also be used on yourself unmodified.

Furthermore at first glance Beneficial Afflictions seem to be inefficient compared to just buying the ability with an equivalent activation roll in the first place so what would there to gained by such a limitation?
Points! The extra rolls and reverse resistance are a pain, but the added modifier flexibility can result in a cheapo build.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Points! The extra rolls and reverse resistance are a pain, but the added modifier flexibility can result in a cheapo build.
Less avariciously, if it's something that can be getting better at, setting up a build that you just buy off limitations from is handy.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Azrael

Quote:
I assume you meant "a different matter since Healing cannot be used on yourself by default."

Seems pretty close to fair if not on the button, considering you can limit such an affliction with (Melee, C, no parry, -35%) and only affect those you can touch.
Yeah that's what the words were in my head. Somehow it came out wrong though. Thanks for clarifying for everyone. :)
*Edited my original post to clarify.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Azrael

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Afflictions can be very good in terms of points. From what I have read on the forums, Afflictions can be build as Alternative Abilities. So you would only have to buy the most expensive one and then the others at 1/5 cost. Since the actual ability is the Affliction itself, the abilities granted by the Affliction will not shut down when you use another Affliction that is part of the same set.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Azrael

Quote:
The extra rolls and reverse resistance are a pain
The extra roll can be avoided by using the optional rules for afflictions in GURPS Powers. (p 40). If you add the Malediction Modifier you can ignore the resistance roll and just use the user's margin of success to determine duration.

Last edited by Azrael; 08-07-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Afflictions can be very good in terms of points. From what I have read on the forums, Afflictions can be build as Alternative Abilities. So you would only have to buy the most expensive one and then the others at 1/5 cost. Since the actual ability is the Affliction itself, the abilities granted by the Affliction will not shut down when you use another Affliction that is part of the same set.
Nearly any ability can be an alternate ability. I think you mean alternate attack.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Affliction that are cheaper than there non-Affliction version do not tend to qualify for Beneficial as they are the ones that inflicted irating or incapacitating states. But if the setting doesn't have sleeping pills by all means hit your self Affliction (Sleep).

and the non affliction vertion can also can be build as Alternative Abilities
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affects self, bard song, limitation, self only