Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
MazeMonster
Banned

Default Potion of Halitosis played on Floating Nose after Malign Mirror is played

If Malign Mirror is played on a character before they fight the Floating Nose, would they be able to get the instant kill with the Potion of Halitosis, or would the potion's use be precluded by the Malign Mirror as it only allows combat benefits form armor?
MazeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Potion of Halitosis played on Floating Nose after Malign Mirror is played

The Potion of Halitosis is an Item and cannot be used.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #3
kornilios24

Default Re: Potion of Halitosis played on Floating Nose after Malign Mirror is played

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The Potion of Halitosis is an Item and cannot be used.
Hello there, I was searching for threads about Malign Mirror to understand better its effect.

I know that Bonuses (+X) of the cursed-Munchkin's Items (except Armors) are not included in the Combat Strength. But the Potion of Halitosis has also a special effect and that is the instant kill of Floating Nose. I thought this was not considered a "Bonus" so it would be valid for use and the player would kill the Floating Nose.

I also found these posts on a thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Potions that give a bonus can't be used. However, something like Pollymorph Potion is fair game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
To be clear, though, we're talking about combat bonuses, not bonuses to something else, like a bonus to Run Away.
kornilios24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Please don't practice thread necromancy.

Steve, Andrew, Myself and MunchkinMan can make official rulings. MunchkinMan will often defer to us.

Andrew made the call on this card to say that someone under the Malign Mirror curse cannot play the Potion of Halitosis.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
kornilios24

Oh, I'm sorry for any inconvenience my post may have caused. I have been a member of this forum for a long time and I try to be consistent with its rules. In no case did I want to be disrespectful to Andrew's answer. I'm just still not sure what the "Bonus" means for an Item. The Potion of Halitosis is the perfect example for me to understand what it means exactly. And that's the reason I chose to reply on this old thread instead of creating a new one, in case a debate would be initialized, to be all in the same place and avoid duplicates.

So what happens if the cursed player is using Items like Flaming Poison Potion or a similar card to Potion of Halitosis, the Rat on a Stick which gives you a +1 Bonus.

Flaming Poison Potion: It is considered a flame/fire attack.
Rat on a Stick: If you discard this item, you can escape automatically from monsters up to Level 8.

Did these Items also lose their abilities/effects just because they are Items or only their Bonus is not counted (+3 and +1, respectively)? Those are the examples I could find, I would be grateful if you help me to understand the effects of this curse. :)
Old 05-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #6
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

I understand wanting to keep everything in one place, but when something is more than a few years old, we'd rather you just link back to it and start a new post.

Bonus refers to Combat Bonuses. You could still use the Rat-on-a-Stick to escape, you just don't get the +1.

Flaming Poison Potion can't be played at all.

The problem, I believe, here, is also that the questions are hitting an additional rule of Munchkin. If part of a card can't be played for some reason, like say, you're at level 9 and you try to play a Go Up a Level card, you can't gain the level, so you can't play the card.

Since you can't gain the bonus effect from the potion cards, you can't play them to gain any other effects.

Equipment that you have, Weapons, Headgear, Footgear, etc... can't give you the combat bonuses, but they can still be used for other effects they may provide, like the Rat-on-a-Stick. And, crucially, are already in play.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #7
kornilios24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
I understand wanting to keep everything in one place, but when something is more than a few years old, we'd rather you just link back to it and start a new post.
Thank you for the understanding, I'll keep it in mind next time I want to post something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
Since you can't gain the bonus effect from the potion cards, you can't play them to gain any other effects.

Equipment that you have, Weapons, Headgear, Footgear, etc... can't give you the combat bonuses, but they can still be used for other effects they may provide, like the Rat-on-a-Stick. And, crucially, are already in play.
This is helpful as I was confused why the player can't use potions to gain the extra effect but can use effects from Weapons/Equipment. Thank you for the clarification and, of course, for your quick response.. I appreciate it! :)