Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
Mailanka

Default Re: Enhancing weapons with natural abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
That is because ice is weird and reasonably not a direct attack mode. There is a reason why ice missile spells do crushing or impaling damage not some freezing damage.

Now if you really wanted a follow up freeze attack, I would say probably use a toxic attack. If you really want to you could try corrosive.
Hey, lookit that, I was wrong. Chilling Strike, page 11
Old 06-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bea_bumble View Post

... This is complicated, though: You could also just make the special enhancement for one SINGLE Burning attack... "+10% Half of damage ignores DR if linked melee attack successfully penetrates DR." Increase to +20% if all of the damage gets through.

A NEW imbuement skill might do that. Talk to your GM. But if I were your GM I'd say no. Too gimmicky with the half damage. The less you have to separately track, the less chance of screw ups.

The official fire Imbument skills (note the plural there) do things as follows: Incendiary Attack (and enhacning imbuement) adds a point of burning damage to your attack IF you penetrate DR. Burning Strike turns your weapon damage to pure burning damage, without the follow up extra point of damage.

Combo attacks work Penetrating attack (at -10 to skill) can bypass DR completely, so the combo skill of Penetrating Burning attack at say skill level 23 or better is pretty scary.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
kirbwarrior

Hmm... I'll prolly get it and a bunch of other cheap books next time i buy (instead of one expensive one). So far it sounds like follow up prolly is best, mostly because the prospect of "+20% ignores DR if link attack goes through" is extremely cheap compared to Cosmic +300%. I'd price it more at +150~% after some thought.

Two small notes; The D'Voir are only capable of one of the attacks ("chosen" at birth, the PC would choose what they prefer.) And I was thinking of going with the "cold burning" damage type (burning attack with no incendiary -10%) I saw somewhere on the boards this seems to fit "cold" damage best.

I'm thinking Follow-Up should cost +30-35%: melee weapons with range 1 and/or more or melee weapons that reach 1 or more when used (specifically, a large knife would get it if swung at furthest range. Thoughts?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
follow-up, link, weapon