Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-03-2021, 04:17 AM   #601
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm letting you do things out of order, within limits. In this instance, destroying the materials needed to fix the problem before you cause the problem. So basically coming up with ways to sabotage the solder.
Okay, in that case I think Daymar is going to opt to melt it and mix in other metals to make it unusable, or mostly so. He decides against tossing it out of the ship, because the Dreadstormers may need it at some point!

[396] 21-04-03 12:15:02 CEST

Electrician

3d6 <= 14
4 + 1 + 6 = 11 ... success

[397] 21-04-03 12:15:58 CEST

Mechanic (High-Performance Spacecraft)

3d6 <= 14
1 + 5 + 5 = 11 ... success

Quote:
ahh... that hasn't happened yet. You've induced a wobble in the stabilization field that will force it to drop out of hyperspace, but its still building and becoming a problem: you have to wait 6 to 18 hours after introducing the wobble to see anything happen.

Right now we are playing out a planning meeting PLUS the things that happen as a result of that meeting. We aren't doing anything that will happen after the ship drops out of hyperspace.

When the ship drops out of hyperspace, there will be a fuss, but I'll cover that when it happens.

I think GnomesOfZurich did say he's up for trying to intercept Commander Zybo on his way to lunch. Shall we run that?
Sure, sounds good.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #602
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Is it too high traffic to just pop the cabinet open and try frying them in less than a minute? Assuming not:
There are about 20 people who work in this area. There are places they might be other than in the area with the cabinets, but that's the place they are most commonly. They sometimes all go "upstairs"* to one of the laser installations to perform maintenance, but they won't be doing that every hour.

*gravity in the large forward lasers is sideways compared to the rest of the ship, with the round blister pointing "up" in each case. This makes maintenance easier. It also means that both lasers are "upstairs", despite being in opposite directions.

Quote:
Hm... If it's possible the Voltmeters are broken (but needs to be verified in some way that can't trivially be done), then I'll just roll with it. If not, then I'll try a more obvious approach.
Saving this roll for when you get to the voltmeters, you can't figure out a way to disable them subtly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Okay, in that case I think Daymar is going to opt to melt it and mix in other metals to make it unusable, or mostly so. He decides against tossing it out of the ship, because the Dreadstormers may need it at some point!
Will Daymar requision welding gear to use "in the course of his job", or will he get it by some means that keeps it off the books?

You should be able to weld the solder to any part of the ship you want. will you be moving it at all, or just welding it to nearby bulkheads and mixing in spare parts?

Quote:
Sure, sounds good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
When could jump to this part once all players are ready.

Pacifica could use her psi to speak a single word by the time the nav-chief leaves. I think "Pooka-Pooka" will work. This won't expose her and might let Day know it is time for action.

Pacifica and Daymar work out a plan to catch commander Zybo on the way to Lunch. When he leaves, Pacifica will speak over the system about Pooka-Pooka* in the compartment Daymar is in. Then Daymar will be able to intercept Commander Zybo on his way to lunch. Commander Zybo Will be walking from the command center on mid-aft of deck 9 to the officers' mess on the mid-fore of deck 11. He will walk on the port side of the ship, and you think he will use the elevator closest to the officer's quarters.

There are unfortunately no plasma emmiters anywhere near that portion of the ship. (the closest ones on on floors 16 and 6). Daymar could find a reason to be with the rest of his section on a stardrive floor in the area, he could eat an early packed lunch and be in a compartment near the officer's quarters, or he could be working on an emmiter and rush down three decks or up five decks to reach Zybo's path. Or you could come up with a different scheme. What location will Daymar be in?

How will Pacifica figure out which wire goes to which location? there is a wire for every compartment on the ship, and some have multiple.

*If you don't remember the pooka pooka, its a 20 legged spherical spider thing with a body the size of rabbit. They're from Pothi's home planet, and Daymar ate them with Pothi as an "experience" when daymar was trying to get his powers back.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #603
Hide

Since we are working retroactively, Pacifica could ping a different location each hour, and have Day tell her at what time he got the ping. They can confirm the ping in the elevators, just as when Day met with Nejora.

My plan is using acting (to produce a voice different than Pacifica’s) and electronic voice phenomena to have Pacifica speak without actually moving her mouth (so she goes unnoticed).

The ping will consist in telling the time of the day (e.g. 1500).
Old 04-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #604
TGLS

Quote:
There are about 20 people who work in this area. There are places they might be other than in the area with the cabinets, but that's the place they are most commonly. They sometimes all go "upstairs"* to one of the laser installations to perform maintenance, but they won't be doing that every hour.
OK:
-> I suppose there are too many people to just zap everyone in the cabinet area and do what I need.
-> Could I head "upstairs" and try to daze the whole laser system to try and make them all go upstairs? Would they probably take the voltmeters out?
-> Is there anything else that could be tampered with that would make them leave?
-> Failing either, would a more brute force approach on disabling the voltmeters be quiet enough?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #605
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Since we are working retroactively, Pacifica could ping a different location each hour, and have Day tell her at what time he got the ping. They can confirm the ping in the elevators, just as when Day met with Nejora.

My plan is using acting (to produce a voice different than Pacifica’s) and electronic voice phenomena to have Pacifica speak without actually moving her mouth (so she goes unnoticed).

The ping will consist in telling the time of the day (e.g. 1500).
Changing your voice would be mimicry, or possibly performance, not acting (which is about concealing intent, behaving like someone else, and other practical adventuring aspects). I'll let you default off IQ-based singing with your craftiness bonus though, which is a 12.

There are hundreds of wires that could be useful here. Make a per-based administration roll (no actual change) to narrow it down to around 50 or so. I'll halve the number of wires for each 2 points in the margin of success.

We will need Gnomes to specify where Daymar is going to listen for the signal, of course. He'll need to be there to figure out which wire to use.
Quote:
OK:
-> I suppose there are too many people to just zap everyone in the cabinet area and do what I need.
Is seven too many? You can occasionally get seven, though another seven will be in nearby rooms.
Quote:
-> Could I head "upstairs" and try to daze the whole laser system to try and make them all go upstairs? Would they probably take the voltmeters out?
The laser system is surprisingly physical... but its got enough electronics that you could knock out something and draw them out of the main room.
Quote:
-> Failing either, would a more brute force approach on disabling the voltmeters be quiet enough?
Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to take it apart and cut motherboards with wire-cutters that's pretty quiet, it will just take time.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-06-2021, 08:08 AM   #606
TGLS

Quote:
Is seven too many? You can occasionally get seven, though another seven will be in nearby rooms.
The laser system is surprisingly physical... but its got enough electronics that you could knock out something and draw them out of the main room.
Let's try to fry something upstairs; 7 is a bit risky given 1 failure would be catastrophic. I'll tack on a DX roll, to get in contact with the electronics from the ladder(?) up, without having to get off to ensure I don't get blocked in by a bunch of technicians.

Quote:
[398] 21-04-06 16:07:44 CEST
DX
3d6 <= 15 : 4 + 2 + 1 = 7 ... success
[399] 21-04-06 16:08:08 CEST
Confuse
3d6 <= 15 : 2 + 3 + 6 = 11 ... success
That went OK.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:36 PM   #607
Hide

Quote:
Changing your voice would be mimicry (...) Make a per-based administration roll (no actual change) to narrow it down to around 50 or so . I'll halve the number of wires for each 2 points in the margin of success (...)
Thanks! Let’s do this:

Pacifica's mimicry:
3d6 <= 12
1 + 5 + 6 = 12 ... success

Pacifica's administration (CORRECT DICE):
3d6 <= 14
4 + 5 + 1 = 10 ... success

This might narrow it to 12 or 13 cables, right?

IIRC the shift should allow Pacifica to check them all in a single day (2 per hour); however, if possible, let’s say she took invested the 2 days prior to the current meeting in this “operation”.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:43 AM   #608
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Will Daymar requision welding gear to use "in the course of his job", or will he get it by some means that keeps it off the books?

You should be able to weld the solder to any part of the ship you want. will you be moving it at all, or just welding it to nearby bulkheads and mixing in spare parts?
Daymar will ask Pothi to requisition the welding gear, and borrow it as needed. He will move the solder enough that it isn't immediately obvious to anyone passing by, and then weld it in crevices and nooks with spare parts thrown in.

Quote:

Pacifica and Daymar work out a plan to catch commander Zybo on the way to Lunch. When he leaves, Pacifica will speak over the system about Pooka-Pooka* in the compartment Daymar is in. Then Daymar will be able to intercept Commander Zybo on his way to lunch. Commander Zybo Will be walking from the command center on mid-aft of deck 9 to the officers' mess on the mid-fore of deck 11. He will walk on the port side of the ship, and you think he will use the elevator closest to the officer's quarters.

There are unfortunately no plasma emmiters anywhere near that portion of the ship. (the closest ones on on floors 16 and 6). Daymar could find a reason to be with the rest of his section on a stardrive floor in the area, he could eat an early packed lunch and be in a compartment near the officer's quarters, or he could be working on an emmiter and rush down three decks or up five decks to reach Zybo's path. Or you could come up with a different scheme. What location will Daymar be in?
Daymar will take a packed lunch and try to position himself near the officer's quarters.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #609
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Let's try to fry something upstairs; 7 is a bit risky given 1 failure would be catastrophic. I'll tack on a DX roll, to get in contact with the electronics from the ladder(?) up, without having to get off to ensure I don't get blocked in by a bunch of technicians.

That went OK.
The scheme works: Hua fries a senor, and almost immediately it shows up on a panel in the lower room. The room goes into action, and while it takes three minutes, Hua is left in an empty room (though lots is going on nearby)

Quote:
Let’s do this:

This might narrow it to 12 or 13 cables, right?

IIRC the shift should allow Pacifica to check them all in a single day (2 per hour); however, if possible, let’s say she took invested the 2 days prior to the current meeting in this “operation”.
So you expect Daymar to spend 6 hours next to the officers' quarters during his work hours while you ping a sound system every 30 minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Daymar will ask Pothi to requisition the welding gear, and borrow it as needed. He will move the solder enough that it isn't immediately obvious to anyone passing by, and then weld it in crevices and nooks with spare parts thrown in.

Poor Pothi. The solder ends up welded to various parts of adjacent rooms, with all sorts of odd things thrown in it. Running it along the edges where walls and floors meet turns out to be especially effective. There is still quite a lot of the stuff, and it takes hours to destroy it.

how much will be left as a facade to hide what has been done?

Old 04-07-2021, 08:17 AM   #610
TGLS

Quote:
The scheme works: Hua fries a senor, and almost immediately it shows up on a panel in the lower room. The room goes into action, and while it takes three minutes, Hua is left in an empty room (though lots is going on nearby)
Well, popping open the cabinet and trying to fry the Voltmeters (See post #600 for roll). Is it possible to test the Voltmeter in some way or would I not have enough time?