Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2022, 10:53 PM   #1
dcarson

Default [RPM] Detecting a ritual

If a witch wants to detect a ritual being performed would you use Area or Range? It is only designed to detect a particular ritual and where it is being done so I'm thinking Area but Range for informational spells is cheaper than regular range. This makes me wonder if either I should use that or allow them a discount on Area for informational also.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 04:21 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Detecting a ritual

Finding things typically uses Range rather than Area, and indeed uses the more-lenient Range bands of Information spells (which is exactly what a detection spell is) - see Seek Person for an example. The reason Detect Secret Doors instead uses Area Effect is because Range only finds whatever is nearest. That's probably fine if you're seeking a specific ritual, particularly if it's not one that's commonly used. Area Effect is what you'd want instead if you wanted to find everyone who was currently casting any ritual within a mage village or similar - but note, as with Detect Secret Doors, that Area Effect costs just as much for Information spells as for any other spell.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
dcarson

OK. And since Duration is fairly cheap they can have it up for a week or so and know where the caster is the next time he creates a hellhound to send after someone. I'll allow them -5% for traditional trappings, they have blood from the ones sent after them and can cast it on a map.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:10 PM   #4
ajardoor

I think Area is only good for detecting ALL magic at once. I think Range means you only detect one?
Old 12-11-2022, 04:09 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
OK. And since Duration is fairly cheap they can have it up for a week or so and know where the caster is the next time he creates a hellhound to send after someone. I'll allow them -5% for traditional trappings, they have blood from the ones sent after them and can cast it on a map.
A detection spell with Range normally should be instantaneous, as it only detects what's closest. I'd allow Duration only under two circumstances (and would probably treat these as separate spells for purposes of Specific Definition) - a Seek X spell with Duration would automatically terminate upon detecting something, while a Track X spell would only work if the target were in range at the time of casting, but would send the location of the target to the caster until the spell expired. For your purposes, Seek X (Seek Ritual) is clearly what you'd want. It'll be up to you, the GM, if it activates and tells the caster the location of the ritual when the target starts gathering energy for the ritual or when the target actually casts it; my inclination would be toward the latter, particularly as the initial gathering of energy could just be to create a charm.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:46 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
If a witch wants to detect a ritual being performed would you use Area or Range? It is only designed to detect a particular ritual and where it is being done so I'm thinking Area but Range for informational spells is cheaper than regular range. This makes me wonder if either I should use that or allow them a discount on Area for informational also.
Area Information spells detect all subjects in the area for the spell. If you don't add range it functions as a emanation and detects everything within X yards of your person. If you add range then you can spin it out to whatever range and then detect whatever in the yards you've specified.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:52 AM   #7
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Area Information spells detect all subjects in the area for the spell. If you don't add range it functions as a emanation and detects everything within X yards of your person. If you add range then you can spin it out to whatever range and then detect whatever in the yards you've specified.
So the X yards would need Area? Since emanation isn't in the RPM book. OK my players will need another cunning plan because Area for a small town is still very expensive.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
So the X yards would need Area? Since emanation isn't in the RPM book. OK my players will need another cunning plan because Area for a small town is still very expensive.
Right. Unless it's also ranged the area is right next to you - it emanates from the caster.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
As you note, Area detects all subjects in said area - but if the characters only need to detect the nearest one (because, in this case, they don't expect for everyone nearby to be summoning hellhounds), shouldn't Range suffice?
Old 12-11-2022, 01:51 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
As you note, Area detects all subjects in said area - but if the characters only need to detect the nearest one (because, in this case, they don't expect for everyone nearby to be summoning hellhounds), shouldn't Range suffice?
Yes. Or include Duration + Range. So you can use the spell again to detect another subject, but that requires another Path roll that is resisted normally.

Become a Patron!

Tags
ritual path magic