Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #11
Kalzazz

Default Re: Duplication and Equipment

Actually Absorbtive Change from Alternate Form seems PERFECT

Powers pg 75

Then if you have 7 morphs, buy 7 swords at Bloodbath and Beyond and each of them can absorb 1 sword etc
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:11 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I'd go with Absorptive Change on Duplication + paying for extra gear with cash. I see nothing unbalanced about it . . . you can stash cool gear where it can't be seen or stolen, but you've paid for said gear.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Huh. That's not bad actually. Comes with a limit of course and you'd still need can carry objects. Hmmm.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:42 AM   #14
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'd go with Absorptive Change on Duplication + paying for extra gear with cash. I see nothing unbalanced about it . . . you can stash cool gear where it can't be seen or stolen, but you've paid for said gear.
Yeah. Compare to Payload with Cosmic and Absorbtive Change on Alternate Form which let you stash gear where it cant be stolen.
Absorptive Change on Duplication costs more points than on Alternate Form too. Paying for the gear solves the economy wrecking portion of this - except perhaps smuggling but thats small and could be a plot point.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 02:43 AM   #15
Plane

how goes the process of storage though?

like do you make clones, equip them, unsummon them w/ the gear stashed, and it's there next time?

That seems like it'd work with permanent clones who can be perma-killed but not sure how it'd work with the temp clones you can resummon for 10 fp
Old 10-11-2022, 06:12 AM   #16
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Paying for the gear solves the economy wrecking portion of this - except perhaps smuggling but thats small and could be a plot point.
You could also just have the gear cease to exist when the Dupe does, or if the Dupe gets too far away from it. Such a character could readily swindle people, of course, but this wouldn't have any real large-scale effect on the economy.

It seems to me the ability to use Duplication to permanently duplicate items, but with needing to pay the monetary cost of them, basically mimics having access to a merchant at all times, but the merchant only stocks things you already have. That's actually an ability I've wondered about a fair cost for for a while - having permanent, instant access to a merchant (or whatever, basically a "turn gold into gear as though you were in town" type of thing). It would significantly reduce encumbrance if you basically just need to carry your basic equipment and some money, then anytime you need something consumable, difficult to carry, and/or specialized - food, potions, medical supplies, a 20' pole, a star-head screwdriver, etc - you just turn the money into what you need. Hmmm... I may make a separate thread for discussion of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
how goes the process of storage though?
I believe the suggestion doesn't involve any sort of storage - when you use Duplication, your Dupe shows up wearing/carrying any gear you were wearing/carrying at the time you used the ability.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:03 AM   #17
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
That's actually an ability I've wondered about a fair cost for for a while - having permanent, instant access to a merchant (or whatever, basically a "turn gold into gear as though you were in town" type of thing). It would significantly reduce encumbrance if you basically just need to carry your basic equipment and some money, then anytime you need something consumable, difficult to carry, and/or specialized - food, potions, medical supplies, a 20' pole, a star-head screwdriver, etc - you just turn the money into what you need. Hmmm... I may make a separate thread for discussion of this.
Maybe snatcher with money as a trigger?
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:38 AM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
Maybe snatcher with money as a trigger?
Any "solution" involving Snatcher is almsot guaranteed to be the most expensive. Also the msot limited in regards to multiplw dupes. You'd probably ahve to buy up the weigth limit.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:25 AM   #19
Varyon

I've now made a thread for discussing the Advantage I mentioned upthread, so that the tangent won't clutter things up here.
Old 10-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #20
Fred Brackin

The latest and probably best idea that I've come up with is Payload (+50 Cosmic, -20% maybe for "Must be carried by a Dupe when it vanishes and only reappears when that Dupe is summoned again").

To be explicit about the mechanics you line up your Dupes and then give them regular equipment. Then the dupes are dismissed and they go wherever Dupes go while their equipment goes into your Cosmic Payload. You have to summon the right Dupe ack to get whatever items it was carrying when it disappeared back out of the Comic Payload.

Without double checking my books I think Cosmic Payload equal to Basic Lift (i.e.No encubrance) would come to 15 pts minus whatever Limitations you put on it. the -20% in my calcs above is only a first guess.

Tags
duplication, equipment