Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2022, 09:19 PM   #11
Pbuckley

Default Re: Making a Weird Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Cursory look has not revealed it for some reason. I remember the mechanics of it as it was often used. Cost was 50 for anyone, 40 for a specific group, 30 for specific person. You spent a turn Concentrating to activate it and as long as you were within 10 yards of the subject you took half the damage of your subject. It could then be further modified with Increased Range for longer ranges. I called it "My Brother's Keeper"

Poke me by Monday if I haven't gotten back to you. I know I wrote down the guts of this *somewhere.*
Said to poke you if you hadn't gotten back by Monday, so... poke?
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:43 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

So the way to do this is a bit...odd so follow with me. First, the modifier we're looking at is basically Sympathy from Allies (p. B38). There are two levels to that: if the death of one party reduces you to 0 HP it's -25%, if you just DIE if the other dies that's -50%. If your wounds affect your ally, but your Ally's wounds don't affect you this becomes -5% and -10%. Swapping it from instant death or drop to 0 HP is probably a feature. So "Sympathy, Shared Damage" is worth about -25% - but I feel it's probably just a bit more since you can still be taking more damage even if you drop below 0 HP so it's closer to "instant death" so between -30% and -40%. I'm going to go with -40% as that feels about right. Now this ability doesn't assume 1 HP on one is 1 HP on the other, instead if the subject takes 2 HP they share it between them. This is probably valued at halving the limitation down to -20%.

Next, we take the modifier from the first step and turn it into a Regulateable Limitation (this is from #3/46: Weird Science, p. 18). This allows you to switch it on or off as a free action on your turn. So the value of "Shared Damage Effects" is thus worth 40% + -20% = +20%. (If it were to take a Ready maneuver, this would add -5% and thus be worth +15%.)

Next, what we are doing is applying this as a modifier to anyone. Now that's a tad tricky, but the best method is assuming an ally of 200% or less can cover most anyone you know (that is from Pyramid #3/75: Hero's Jackpot, p. 19). That's 20 points as a base. It needs to have Constant appearance or things get weird. Finally, since it's anyone we make it a Wildcard Power (this is from GURPS Supers, p. 41). Normally, with that modification it lets you use the modified trait as any number of traits, but it can also be used to give the trait it is modifying an "unlimited" specialization for traits that require that. So 20 (base) x 4 (Frequency of Appearance) x 4 (Wildcard) = 320 points.

Next, we apply that limitation from the second step to this cost: 320 x 1.2 = 384 points. But! We're not summoning random allies. We're just sharing damage so we don't pay the base cost, just the cost we modified. So cost becomes 64 points as we ignore the base cost of the modified Ally. We then add a Divine power modifier of -10% and "Willing only" (-10%) for a cost of 51.2 points. Making it an even 50 points seems more on target.

Given that Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 2) costs 50 points as a base and would need Affects Others, Only (+0%), Area Effect, 1 yard (+25%) Ranged (+40%), and Nuisance Effect, Shared Damage (-20%) costs 70 points I think we're in the right ballpark.

So, to sum up the power would look like this:

Blessed (Martyr): On your turn you can declare one ally within 100 yards of you to benefit from this ability. Make an IQ roll in areas of less than normal Sanctity, otherwise no roll is required. When your ally takes any damage, but before any wounding multiplier is apply halve it and split the damage equally. Apply extra damage from any fractions to the martyr; if only 1 HP is dealt, then that too goes to the martyr. This lasts until the blessed character rescinds it and as long as the ally is within 100 yards (add increased Range to increase this range). If the martyr goes unconscious they can attempt a Will roll to cut the blessing off, otherwise they continue to take damage. This is worth 50 points if you can affect anyone; 40 points for a specific race or culture; 30 points for a specific creed, nation, or everyone you personally know; 20 points for close friends, adventuring companions, etc.; or 10 points for one person. If you can affect multiple people at once add a +20% modifier per person after the first (up to IQ/3 discrete subjects). If this requires a Ready maneuver on your turn to activate, add a -5% limitation. If you can affect inanimate objects as well add +100% (or +0% if you can only affect inanimate objects).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:44 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbuckley View Post
Said to poke you if you hadn't gotten back by Monday, so... poke?
I have been poked!. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 08-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Want to make a weird affliction that makes it so that a portion of any damage the target receives goes to the caster instead. Can i get a couple of solid suggestions for how to pull this off?
buy "Affects Others" enhancement on on your HP.

something like "my shared HP only takes a % of the damage my ally is hit with, the other % goes to their own HP" seems like a 0% special effect
Old 08-30-2022, 02:53 PM   #15
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I have been poked!. :-)
I can see that, me and my scientists are analyzing the data now... Thanks for this.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 03:18 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I can see that, me and my scientists are analyzing the data now... Thanks for this.
No worries.

Become a Patron!

Tags
gurps 4e, theorycraft