Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Ndreare

Default Power Stone Mana Recovery?

I remember reading some rules about Power Stones and the mana recovery, but even using the search function in GURPS Magic (4th edition) I cannot find the rules I had read.

We have a group of PCs with three power stones in it, so I wanted to verify the effect on their recovery rate.

Does anyone know what book/chapter the power stone mana recovery rules are in?
Ndreare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Power Stone Mana Recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndreare View Post
I

Does anyone know what book/chapter the power stone mana recovery rules are in?
They're in the rules text for the Powerstone spell in the Enchantments section (in Magic of copurse).
Old 05-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
KarlKost

If Im not mistaken it is in Magic. I'll check it out in a second and I'll soon return to you
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
They're in the rules text for the Powerstone spell in the Enchantments section (in Magic of copurse).
The sheer memory of Gurps players never ceases to amaze me. Every time I get into this forum I wonder myself how can you guys do that.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
The sheer memory of Gurps players never ceases to amaze me. Every time I get into this forum I wonder myself how can you guys do that.
<shrug> That's the place where they've been for 36 years. Although the book was "Fantasy" when they first appeared.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #6
Witchking

The Powerstone energy recovery rate is in the text of the spell.

So yes Magic (under Enchantment College).

Important secondary note IIRC in that same place it also states that ONLY 1 Powerstone can regenerate in a hex (strongest stone takes precedence).

So if the party mage empties all of his Stones in a fight he may have 2-4 of his friends carrying empty stones for the next week or so to get 'recharged'.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
T
So if the party mage empties all of his Stones in a fight he may have 2-4 of his friends carrying empty stones for the next week or so to get 'recharged'.
Ideally every member of the party carries a 3-4 pt stone and that's the energy dedicated to _their_ emergency healing. Note that fully charged stones don't interfere with the recharge of empty stones
Old 05-23-2022, 12:32 PM   #8
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Ideally every member of the party carries a 3-4 pt stone and that's the energy dedicated to _their_ emergency healing. Note that fully charged stones don't interfere with the recharge of empty stones
Well game settings vary in the incidence rate of Magery.

Some games it is common(ish). Other games it is already a bit of a statistical improbability for 1 person in 6 to be so gifted.

I have seen the gamut from the party has A mage to everyone in the party is a mage.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:53 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting that everyone carrying a stone be a mage. Powerstones recharge fine when carried by non-mages.

It's just that when the time comes for healing it's really convenient if the wounded party memebr has a Powerstone that can let the party mage cast the required Major Healing without worrying about where the energy is going to come from.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:29 PM   #10
Rupert

Quote:

Some games it is common(ish). Other games it is already a bit of a statistical improbability for 1 person in 6 to be so gifted.

I have seen the gamut from the party has A mage to everyone in the party is a mage.
I don't think Fred means each person has a stone and does their own healing (especially as many healing spells are penalised if you're casting them on yourself). Rather, they are carried by an individual, but used by the caster when healing that individual (and are then left with that individual so they can recharge).

EDIT: And for some reason Fred's answer didn't show, even though it's a half-hour old.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first aid, healing