Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2022, 08:44 AM   #91
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Are DX and IQ overly undervalued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Was that intentional?
Nope, just a typo too small to be caught with my poor vision. "Reeding" would probably have to be something to do with playing woodwind instruments and my knowledge of such things is too thin to make a good joke.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #92
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Nope, just a typo too small to be caught with my poor vision. "Reeding" would probably have to be something to do with playing woodwind instruments and my knowledge of such things is too thin to make a good joke.
I thought maybe it was a jab at phonetic approaches to literacy.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:39 AM   #93
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I thought maybe it was a jab at phonetic approaches to literacy.
Oh, because "read" and "reed" are homonyms. I don't expect logic from English. A number of other languages too.Not that long ago someone on another site was complaining about use of silent letters in French.

Then long ago after I discovered that spelling in Spanish was almost completely phonetic the back of my textbook told me that standard verbs in Spanish had 17 possible conjugations (counting forms with helper verbs). This was of course in addition to the 5 or 6 genders including genders for inanimate objects.

Nope, you can study languages in a scientific manner but languages themselves are seldom scientific (or even just regular).
Old 04-28-2022, 02:51 PM   #94
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Oh, because "read" and "reed" are homonyms. I don't expect logic from English. A number of other languages too.Not that long ago someone on another site was complaining about use of silent letters in French.

Then long ago after I discovered that spelling in Spanish was almost completely phonetic the back of my textbook told me that standard verbs in Spanish had 17 possible conjugations (counting forms with helper verbs). This was of course in addition to the 5 or 6 genders including genders for inanimate objects.

Nope, you can study languages in a scientific manner but languages themselves are seldom scientific (or even just regular).
Isn't there a language in southeast Asia that basically doesn't have conjugation, pluralization, agreement, or case? You'd get sentences structured like "three person visit I yesterday"
Old 04-29-2022, 06:24 AM   #95
whswhs

Quote:
Isn't there a language in southeast Asia that basically doesn't have conjugation, pluralization, agreement, or case? You'd get sentences structured like "three person visit I yesterday"
That way of organizing a language is called "analytic." I've seen suggestions that languages go through cycles: starting at analytic, where the grammatical function of a word is defined by its position in the sentence and by other words used with it, you have words that get used habitually with other words; they start to merge with those other words, the way "wild flower" became "wild-flower" and then "wildflower"; they get phonetically reduced to short prefixes or suffixes (or even infixes), at which point the language is "agglutinative"; and then prefixes and suffixes get smushed together, so one suffix might tell you, for example, that a verb is third person AND singular AND progressive (like the Spanish ending -es), at which point the language is "inflectional"; and then the words get pronounced hastily and the prefixes/suffixes get slurred or not pronounced (as in French, where the verbs in je mange, tu manges, il mange, and ils mangent are all pronounced MANZH), which takes the language back toward analytic. English, for example, is moving toward analyticity, with no case markers except on pronouns (and who/whom is dying) and greatly reduced conjugations (create/creates/created/creating has only three nonzero endings).

The other extreme is polysyntheticity, where a verb is required to have BOTH a prefix or suffix telling you who the subject is and one telling you who the object is, so "I love her" can be expressed as a single word. This is found, for example, in Inuit, and I believe in Ainu, though I may be misremembering. Conjugations in those languages are incredibly complex, but on the other hand word order isn't much of an issue.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
attributes, languages