Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #21
DarkPumpkin

Default Re: Magic Item Creation Run-through: The Felfang Amulet

In the real world, expensive luxury homes or unique objets d'art aren't priced according to the hours of labor and the raw materials. The seller can price them on a whim and if they are serious about realising some cash, are beholden to whatever amount the small number of potential buyers are willing to outlay. The same luxury home might be priced at $5m, $10m, $20m, or whatever.

So in a fantasy game, a magical item might be priced at 10x the price in a kingdom where there's a number of cashed up crusader barons returned with foreign gold, compared to the same item in a land of impoverished gentry.
Illiquid markets can seem arbitrary and asking prices vary by large multiples.
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy seems committed to working such things out in detail, which I don't enjoy because as indicated above I think it's false precision, but that's a convention of Dungeon Fantasy and GURPS in general.
I just don't see the point of bean counting in TFT.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:59 PM   #22
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Magic Item Creation Run-through: The Felfang Amulet

I can see Henry's point. The exceedingly few magic items my old group allowed and used in our campaign world each had its own interesting backstory, and that made them far more fun and entertaining than any of the powers they came with.

The ideas of player characters making their own, or of an "industry" of wizards cranking them out for commercial sale were just repulsive to myself and our other two GMs. That just wasn't the setting we wanted for any of our stories.

Excalibur wasn't important in legend just because it was a really really good sword.

Tags
amulets, demographics, enchantment, magic item creation