Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2020, 01:11 AM   #21
Celjabba

Default Re: Formulas for speeding up repetitive rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
If the patient is in no danger of dying from injury or infection, they will send them home (at least in the USA). Hospitals are dangerous environments, they have lots of sick people, and it is often safer (if slower) for patients to recover at home than at a hospital. They may have a nurse visit them once a day to change bandages, but that is only assuming that there is no one in the household to help the patient.
I agree, but disagree on where to put the threshold.
You say above -hp (not in danger of dying), I would say above 0hp (stable vitals, not in danger of unconsciousness if they stub their toe).

There is a trend to shorten hospital stay as much as possible, definitively.

Back to the thread topic, I would use either Kallatari numbers (thanks for that table, Kallatari !) or the zombie p113 table, unless the player want to roll the dices.

And I would use the "under physician care" bonus whether or not the patient is in the hospital if he is actually followed by a physician daily. If he is outside, it mean his care don't require the hospital tech, not that he is not receiving care.

Last edited by Celjabba; 08-10-2020 at 01:33 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #22
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
I agree, but disagree on where to put the threshold.
You say above -hp (not in danger of dying), I would say above 0hp (stable vitals, not in danger of unconsciousness if they stub their toe).
1HP of damage is a wee bit more than stubbing one's toe. Also, you'd want them above 1HP in this case, so as to avoid the damage knocking them down to 0HP.

That means they're nearly above the 1/2 Move threshold, and my experience is that you're often sent home at nowhere near that point.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:41 AM   #23
Tomsdad

FWIW I'd definitely put 'out of danger think about releasing from hospital' at 0 hp+ not -1xHP.

Not just because at negative HP the risks of anything going wrong are bad (but that is reason enough), but to be bloody minded about it the benefit of freeing up a bed would have to weighed against the risk of a law suit based around 'you released the patient to early' if something did go wrong. Obviously in some contents and setting this might not be so much of an issue!

Ideally for both patient and medical resources they would be moved to low intensity convalescence ward.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:10 AM   #24
TGLS

OK, dozens of repeated rolls. Here's an AnyDice program that does it. https://anydice.com/program/1d323

Set the ATTEMPTS to the number of times the roll would be attempted, the EFFSKILL to whatever you're rolling against, then click roll, and you'll get the number of successes (technically you'll have 6 unless you change the box to only output 1).
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #25
Varyon

Really, the GURPS-relevant thresholds for hospital release are probably:

1) The character is no longer suffering from Unconsciousness, Coma, Heart Attack, or Mortal Wounds.

2) The character is not suffering from Infection or Disease, or if he is it is one that is likely to recover without constant care.

3) The character is not suffering from Bleeding, or from the plasma-leak associated with burning Major Wounds in Bio-Tech. Note people who are still bleeding/leaking plasma may still be released in some cases, but this bleeding is below GURPS resolution. Someone leaking plasma from burn wounds might even be dischargeable, provided there's a good option for home care (at a minimum, the character needs someone to swap out their IV bags every so often), although I don't know how common that is.

4) The doctor is confident (or at least confident enough) in his recent Diagnosis checks that indicate the patient is unlikely to suffer further complications, or that any complications that may occur won't be immediately life-threatening (giving time for the patient to check into the hospital, not just get rushed to the emergency room). Depending on the severity of the initial problem, this might be as simple as a single post-treatment Diagnosis check, or several days of observation.

Note that nowhere here does HP directly factor in; a character could be at or around -4xHP and still get discharged if he's no longer suffering from any of the above (although the doctor is probably going to want several days of observation, just to be safe). There may be some conditions I missed above, of course.

Tags
formulas, healing, repetitive