Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
VariousRen

Default Re: [Magic] Differences between Enchantments

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Deflect increases the chance of the shield taking damage, Defending Shield doesn't.
Deflect can be cast on "armor, clothing, a shield, or a weapon", so I don't think a success by the DB it grants is suppose to hit the deflecting item in this case. I would feel a little cheated if my deflecting +3 shirt saved me from a blow to the leg, only to be hit in the chest instead.

It seems like Deflect is the GURPS style answer to D&D's Bracers of Protection +1 or +1 platemail. It's just a generic defensive bonus, and helps with everything.

Which raises the question, what happens when you have multiple items that grant Deflect. If my shield and armour have deflect +1, and my weapon has deflect +2, do I end up with Deflect +4 (The sum) or Deflect +2 (The highest). I would assume you just take the highest (same as with shields, two shields don't add DB, they just give you the best bonus). In that case, Defending Shield is a safe bet for an enchanter, because the buyer might already have Deflect on a different piece of equipment.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Your deflecting shirt shouldn't give a DB for your leg regardless. If it did then then the location discounts would be even more broken then they are. Enchanting gloves is ridiculously cheap.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
It seems like Deflect is the GURPS style answer to D&D's Bracers of Protection +1 or +1 platemail. It's just a generic defensive bonus, and helps with everything.

It's more like DB is the ghost of Passive Defense from previous editions. Most oddities about it are probably legacy issues.

Even if items with the Deflect Enchantment cover the same area they don't stack. It's a general principle that multiple copies of the same spell don't stack with themselves.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #14
VariousRen

Quote:
Your deflecting shirt shouldn't give a DB for your leg regardless. If it did then then the location discounts would be even more broken then they are. Enchanting gloves is ridiculously cheap.
I was assuming that you paid full cost for Deflect regardless of what it's based on. So a shirt of Deflecting costs the same as gloves of Deflecting, which are the same as a shield of Deflecting. The problem still stands with a Deflecting shirt with an attack aimed at the torso. Succeed on a defense roll by the deflect DB, and instead of hitting you in the torso it hits you... in the torso. It's an interesting effect (draw the attack to this hit location), but it doesn't seem like what Deflect is intended to do.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #15
Nereidalbel

Quote:
I was assuming that you paid full cost for Deflect regardless of what it's based on. So a shirt of Deflecting costs the same as gloves of Deflecting, which are the same as a shield of Deflecting. The problem still stands with a Deflecting shirt with an attack aimed at the torso. Succeed on a defense roll by the deflect DB, and instead of hitting you in the torso it hits you... in the torso. It's an interesting effect (draw the attack to this hit location), but it doesn't seem like what Deflect is intended to do.
Clothing that has 0 DR breaks and loses its enchantment effect after just a few hits. Success by DB or less on a Shirt of Deflection counts as 1 Penetration, where the attack put a hole in the shirt, without actually hitting the person wearing it. Playable enough for me.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I was assuming that you paid full cost for Deflect regardless of what it's based on.
Armor enchantments clearly only apply to the armor location, otherwise the location discounts wouldn't make any sense at all. It doesn't draw attacks to that location, because it only even applies when that location is targeted.

Yes this makes wonky things happen with DB, but this is because Deflect used to give PD and GURPS Magic 3rd Edition is an often incomplete port of the 2nd edition.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 AM   #17
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Clothing that has 0 DR breaks and loses its enchantment effect after just a few hits. Success by DB or less on a Shirt of Deflection counts as 1 Penetration, where the attack put a hole in the shirt, without actually hitting the person wearing it. Playable enough for me.
Um what? I think you confusing it with Fortify.

Quote:
Armor enchantments clearly only apply to the armor location, otherwise the location discounts wouldn't make any sense at all. It doesn't draw attacks to that location, because it only even applies when that location is targeted.

Yes this makes wonky things happen with DB, but this is because Deflect used to give PD and GURPS Magic 3rd Edition is an often incomplete port of the 2nd edition.
This is actually spelled out somewhere, if using random locations and the target is wearing something that only grants DB to some locations, then roll hit location first, then roll to attack.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 AM   #18
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Um what? I think you confusing it with Fortify.
Um what? The rules for losing enchantments after DRx5 penetrations apply to all armour enchantments, including Deflect.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defending shield, deflect, enchantment