Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Spirit Attack: Innate Attack or Ally?

I was thinking about a Mobile Wall, but a HP per 2d, +50% for Area Effect, +40% for Persistant and +40% per point of Move makes it cost far more than it should for this feat IMHO.

All the advantages of a Slam without the drawbacks is fairly impressive though.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post

By default, btw, it is impossible to parry an IA. Just don't add Blockable, and it's not an issue.
Exactly.

If you leave off Blockable, the only standard active defense vs. Innate Attack is a dodge. That seems fitting for an SM +2 "force ram" that happens to look like a spectral bison: You don't block or parry that, you get out of its way.

I suppose the GM could then let people try to defend as vs. a slam, but have this be most unwise. If they block, their shield takes full damage and they suffer full knockback anyway. If they parry, back-calculate a ST for the attack as if it were thrust damage; e.g., if it's 2d, that's like ST 21, so you'd be parrying a 21-lb. weapon . . . and if it's 4d, that's a 37-lb. weapon. This "lesser" version of Blockable would be a Nuisance Effect for the attacker, the nuisance being that really strong or foolhardy enemies might mess with the attack; I'd assess that at -5% relative to the block-or-parry version of Blockable at -10%.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #13
Dan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I was thinking about a Mobile Wall, but a HP per 2d, +50% for Area Effect, +40% for Persistant and +40% per point of Move makes it cost far more than it should for this feat IMHO.
I've been working on something very similar for my games, and my solution was to treat these "on demand" abilities as Alternative Abilities to the main Ally advantage. My reasoning being that the ally can't simultaneously be looking around for danger, or playing messenger for you while you're making it bum-rush miscreants.

Obviously the ally can still do things of its own volition, but this makes for an affordable way for a player to say "I have this cool bison spirit, and I specifically want it to be able to do this one thing for me".

This also has the useful side-effect of making the points cost of the Ally work as a limiting factor for the sorts of formalized abilities it can do for you at-will - if you want your spirit buddy to be able to reliably use glamour to mind-control people, you'll need to have a more powerful spirit (or one that trusts you more, represented by FoA) than if you just want your spirit to temporarily sit in your throat and grant you Speak With Animals.
Dan38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ally, innate attack, slam, spirit