Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-17-2023, 11:36 AM   #11
Adina

Default Re: DF 13 armor loadouts for DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
So does DF declare the only thing needed is GURPS Basic
Yes.
Quote:
and no other sets should be used?
No.
Quote:
The simple solution is
to say this is a DF game but we're using Low-Tech armor (which I've done).

Quote:
Sync the two systems up so it's seemless moving between them
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. DF and DFRPG are two related but different systems. But nothing stops you from using anything in the full GURPS line in either one.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:11 AM   #12
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
Yes. No. to say this is a DF game but we're using Low-Tech armor (which I've done).

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. DF and DFRPG are two related but different systems. But nothing stops you from using anything in the full GURPS line in either one.
My point is, SJ Games doesn't want us posting things in this forum that indicate issues with DFRPG needing stuff from GURPS. However, the game is very limited. It gets easier when things can be pulled from DF. The closer the two games are, the easier it becomes.

D&D 5e is the most popular TTRPG. It is in fantasy genre. It has the largest market share and it isn't even close. So when folks want to consider a different game to replace D&D, it would be nice to be able to recommend DFRPG. Unlike GURPS Basic + DF, DFRPG is a stand alone game. But it's rather limited. Of course, you can somewhat easily use stuff from DF for DFRPG. The easier it is to use things the easier it is to recommend DFRPG.

Its an annoyance to have to go about figuring out what is and isn't different in DFRPG and DF. There really should be care taken to sync up the two games.

I love the idea behind DF Loadouts, but I'm playing DFRPG so I can't just equip my DFRPG characters with stuff from DF Loadouts, first I need to equip them, then go back to DFRPG and see if I can get the equivalent items and use those.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 11:55 AM   #13
mburr0003

Quote:
My point is, SJ Games doesn't want us posting things in this forum that indicate issues with DFRPG needing stuff from GURPS.
That's not true, in fact:

"Discussions about what to add to that content are great..." (first post and then read the clarifying second post)

What they're really trying to avoid are discussions about GURPS like deep rules discussions, and that talk tends to get very weedy very fast. Saying "Hey, for more stuff to add to your game, look into the GURPS DF line", that's super. Even discussing stuff directly from that line, or other powers, power-ups, etc from other places is also fine. Just from what I've seen they want us to keep it from getting deep into the weeds, for that we should point those GMs over to the GURPS threads so they can get into the slightly more complicated manner of power building.

Quote:
However, the game is very limited. It gets easier when things can be pulled from DF. The closer the two games are, the easier it becomes.
And you can. Just reach for Low-Tech for armor values rather than the Basic Set. And be slightly wary of how some rules work differently, like Salms and Falls.

Quote:
Unlike GURPS Basic + DF, DFRPG is a stand alone game. But it's rather limited.
It's limited because it's sales were low. There is no (or little) confidence in the line internally, so things get made for the more profitable line, DF.

Quote:
Its an annoyance to have to go about figuring out what is and isn't different in DFRPG and DF. There really should be care taken to sync up the two games.
But that's not what they did. DFRPG has rules differences to make it simpler in some areas. Also because some values have changed and the author preferred the changed values (hence using Low-Tech weapon and armor weights instead of Basic Set).

Quote:
I love the idea behind DF Loadouts, but I'm playing DFRPG so I can't just equip my DFRPG characters with stuff from DF Loadouts, first I need to equip them, then go back to DFRPG and see if I can get the equivalent items and use those.
Sure. But once you've done that once, you don;t need to do it again.

I mean, you did refactor the Loadout and make notes right? So you don't have to keep doing it every time. (I think someone actually did that, like t-bone or Charles Saeger or someone, and then put the modified numbers in a blog post?)
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 03:13 PM   #14
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
I mean, you did refactor the Loadout and make notes right? So you don't have to keep doing it every time. (I think someone actually did that, like t-bone or Charles Saeger or someone, and then put the modified numbers in a blog post?)
Yes, Charles' post was linked upthread: http://gurpshexytime.blogspot.com/20...-for-df13.html

Quote:
D&D 5e is the most popular TTRPG. It is in fantasy genre. It has the largest market share and it isn't even close. So when folks want to consider a different game to replace D&D, it would be nice to be able to recommend DFRPG. Unlike GURPS Basic + DF, DFRPG is a stand alone game. But it's rather limited. Of course, you can somewhat easily use stuff from DF for DFRPG. The easier it is to use things the easier it is to recommend DFRPG.
Low-Tech and its supplements are even easier to use with DFRPG than most DF supplements are, because unlike DF supplements they don't require modifying profession templates--they just offer new equipment to buy and new rules. Ditto Martial Arts.

It's the high tech stuff and certain spells like Zombie and Teleport alternate magic systems that you want to be careful to keep out of your dungeon crawling--unless you want them in--but I would encourage you to buy Martial Arts and Low Tech. You don't have to use every optional rule in them (it's literally impossible to use every optional rule because some of them are mutually exclusive) but they are fantastic and 100% DFRPG-compatible. You'll probably enjoy the new weapons and fighting techniques especially.

DFRPG Low-Tech and DF Low Tech would both be the exact same book as GURPS Low Tech.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 04-18-2023 at 03:27 PM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, loadouts