Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2023, 09:46 PM   #1821
Otaku

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Gambit is a harder one to work in, but I may have something in the works. He does not work as a Xavier Institute student in this Reboot, but since I'm moving Cloak and Dagger to New Orleans, Gambit works as a frenemy of theirs. I just don't have anything written out for any of them just yet.
As someone else who was a fan of the X-Men in the 90s and early 00s, I do like that you're integrating characters such as Gambit in this manner. I mean, the change to Cloak and Dagger doesn't bother me - I only know a little about them - but Marvel was always bad at loading up New York with all their heroes and villains. So giving Cloak and Dagger a new local and working Gambit in there, so he's well established before the X-Men, sounds good.

I mean, one can argue someone like Gambit should fly under the radar anyway: being a famous thief can be self-defeating. I'm not sure how to properly describe Gambit's personality... maybe "playful"? As in, he doesn't always crave the spotlight, but when it looks fun... right, should finish the thought. What my rambling was leading up to, is just pointing out that someone like Gambit would probably become a known quantity not too long after he became "active". If not in the Thieves Guild, then once he was forced to cut ties. Which is how it works with a lot of characters:

"Oh, so-and-so has been active for years! We've had many run-ins!"

"Then why is this the first time you ever brought them up?"

"Um... no reason. Just didn't. The writer totally didn't just pull this character out of nowhere and yet insist we have a rich, intertwined backstory!"
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 07-14-2023 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Ugh, I actually did the thing where you come back, read your post, and realized you basically didn't say what you meant to!
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 03:03 PM   #1822
Darkhol

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Very important question... Deadpool when?
Darkhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #1823
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhol View Post
Very important question... Deadpool when?
All I can say is "eventually"; I've got something slated for The Merc With A Mouth in the title I threw Wolvie, Luke Cage, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, and Jewel in, as a villain or non-villain antagonist. He will probably have his fourth wall powers, or at least Delusions ("I'm In A Comic Book!" and "I Think In Little Yellow Boxes"), but probably won't be fully immortal.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:07 PM   #1824
Darkhol

Quote:
All I can say is "eventually"; I've got something slated for The Merc With A Mouth in the title I threw Wolvie, Luke Cage, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, and Jewel in, as a villain or non-villain antagonist. He will probably have his fourth wall powers, or at least Delusions ("I'm In A Comic Book!" and "I Think In Little Yellow Boxes"), but probably won't be fully immortal.
Waiting very hard for his stat block to instantly steal it, add immortality and love this everlasting troll for the eternity.
Darkhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 02:23 PM   #1825
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhol View Post
Waiting very hard for his stat block to instantly steal it, add immortality and love this everlasting troll for the eternity.
What he said. I read a lot of "screen cap comics" based on other properties. Y'know, like Darths & Droids, but less successful. I have been sharing Phantasm's work (including linking to it, not just a quick Copy & Paste). None of these comics run on GURPS, but there are actually a few people who enjoy my ramblings.

Don't worry, I made sure they understand I'm a GURPS fanboy, not an expert. XD
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 07-17-2023, 01:49 PM   #1826
OldSam

Quote:
Storm is currently in Black Panther's cast and crew; ... She's currently listed as "Wind-Rider", her old African epithet
Thanks! :) I did not know that...

Quote:
Gambit is a harder one to work in, but I may have something in the works.
Cool, sounds great, I'm looking forward to that... =)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:01 AM   #1827
Phantasm

I'm still spitballing on Dr. Strange's cast and crew; a good portion of that is determining power levels for folks like Dormammu and Nightmare, who are like DC's Spectre in the variability of their power levels (sometimes total domination over their own dimensions, other times they can be tricked and/or defeated through simple non-magical hypnosis). And trying to make the characters distinct from Strange mechanically - either in breadth of skill or variance of focus - is making me tear out my hair.

And then I was reading some semi-recent Iron Man series for inspiration for a space opera game, and came across a character who I found absolutely adorable. So adorable, I had to stat her up in the Reboot!

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 11-10-2023, 12:08 AM   #1828
Phantasm

FRIDAY

Identity: Friday is known to the senior staff of Stark Industries; her existence is unknown to the general public.
Legal Status: Property of Stark Industries.
Other Aliases: Girl Friday, Friday Stark.
Place of Creation: Stark family mansion (later Avengers Mansion), New York City.
Marital Status: Single, possibly inapplicable.
Known Relatives: Inapplicable; considers Tony Stark as alternately a brother and a father.
Group Affiliation: Ally of Tony Stark/Iron Man and the Avengers.
Base of Operations: Stark Industries virtual intranet.
History: In his early teenage years, Tony Stark's genius was already apparent (see Iron Man). However, this led him to be lonely, as he had few people who he could interact with as equals. As a side project born of boredom, he began to code himself a virtual sister, one he could interact with as an equal. Inspired in part by the character Friday in Robinson Crusoe as well as the 1940 movie His Girl Friday, Stark named her Friday. It is not currently known how long it took Tony to code Friday, nor when he uploaded her to the Stark Industries intranet. Friday assisted him with research during his time at M.I.T., though he insisted she not write his reports.

When Stark enlisted in the military as part of a deal with his father, he bid Friday a fond farewell, asking her to look after his parents in his absence; this was apparently the first real interaction between Friday and Howard Stark, Jr, since Tony began working on her. Friday was crushed to learn that in the same week, Tony went Missing-in-Action and Howard was mysteriously killed in an automobile accident; this began Friday's own investigations into both events, as she determined the timing was too coincidental. As Tony's cousin Morgan assumed control of Stark Industries, Friday secretly began spying on her activities (see Stark Industries; Stark, Morgan).

Friday was elated when Tony returned from captivity in Afghanistan, though she expressed concern over his physical condition, insisting she examine the ARC reactor in his chest (using various sensors in Tony's home workshop) to ensure it wasn't slowly killing him (see Common Technologies). Satisfied that having an ARC in his chest wasn't lethal to him, she convinced Tony to take over Stark Industries from Morgan by presenting him with a number of questionable communications she'd discovered between Morgan and their unscrupulous competitor, Justin Hammer of Hammer Industries (see Hammer, Justin; Hammer Industries). Friday was later instrumental in assisting Tony in being confirmed as the new CEO of Stark Industries, being introduced to the board of directors as Stark's new virtual assistant.

When Stark as Iron Man became one of the founding members of the Avengers, Friday introduced herself to the team as they moved into both the Stark family mansion in Manhattan and a Stark Industries warehouse complex outside Dodge City, Kansas, presenting herself as Iron Man's "sister and girl Friday" (see Avengers; Avengers Compound; Avengers Mansion). She is currently splitting her time between assisting Stark as Iron Man and the Avengers. She proved especially resourceful when combating the rogue robot Ultron and his insect ally the Scarlet Beetle when the two invaded the Avengers Compound with a swarm of robotic beetles, turning part of the robot swarm against the rest (see Scarlet Beetle; Ultron).

Friday has expressed interest in the outcome of Quasimodo's personhood trial, currently in front of the US Supreme Court (see Quasimodo). Tony has claimed that if Quasimodo is able to be declared a legal person, he would seek to have Friday emancipated as well; Friday half-jokingly replied he'd better start giving her a salary when he does.
Height: Variable; prefers to manifest as 5' 5".
Weight: Inapplicable.
Eyes: Variable; prefers to manifest with hazel eyes.
Hair: Variable; no preference.
Other Distinguishing Features: In her usual holographic form, Friday is often translucent.
Uniform: None.
Strength Level: As a hologram running on the "cloud", Friday lacks a physical body. As such, her physical strength is non-existent.
Known Superhuman Powers: Friday runs on the Stark Industries virtual intranet server farm; as such, she is able to access the entire virtual intranet and by extension the Internet and any computer connected to it. She is also able to upload herself to the Iron Man armor's systems to act as an on-board assistant; whether she is able to take full control the armor herself is unknown.
Other Abilities: Friday is an expert hacker. In addition, she has become adept at remotely piloting various aircraft and Iron Man's battlesuits.
Limitations: Friday lacks a physical body; she resides entirely on the Stark Industries corporate intranet. As such, she has to access computers in order to communicate with anyone else.

691 points
Attributes: ST 0 [-100]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 14 [80]; HT 10 [0].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-6/1d-5; BL 0 lbs.; HP 0 [0]; Will 14 [0]; Per 14 [0]; FP 10 [0]; Basic Speed 7.00 [0]; Basic Move 0 [0]; Basic Air Move 7 [0]; Dodge 10.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: AI (Not Reprogrammable) [42]; Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Compartmentalized Mind 5 (Massively Parallel, +20%; No Mental Separation, -20%) [250]; Doesn't Breathe [20]; Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]; Elastic Skin [20]; Evil Computer Talent 4 [20]; Flight (Slow: Basic Speed, -25%) [30]; High TL +2 [10]; Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]; Insubstaniality (Always On, -50%) [40]; Mimicry (Voice Library, +50%) [15]; Mind Probe (Cybernetic Only, -50%; Invasive, +75%; Sensory, +20%) [29]; Mind Reading (Cybernetic Only, -50%; Multiple Contacts, +50%; Sensory, +20%) [36]; Omnilingual [40]; Possession (Digital, -40%) [60]; Versatile [5].
Perks: Speed of Thought [1].
Disadvantages: Impulsiveness (9) [-15]; No Legs (Aerial) [0]; No Manipulators [-50]; Pacifism (Cannot Kill) [-15]; Selfless (12) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Tony Stark) [-2]; Social Stigma (Valuable Property) [-10]; Wealth (Dead Broke) [-25].
Quirks: Eavesdropper [-1]; Imaginative [-1]; Inquisitive [-1]; Practical Joker [-1]; Sexless [-1].
Skills: Administration (A) IQ+0 [2] – 14; Battlesuit/TL10 (A) DX+2 [8] – 12; Body Language (A) Per+0 [2] – 14; Diagnosis/TL10 (H) IQ-1 [2] – 13; Drone Piloting/TL10 (Heavy Airplane) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 14; Drone Piloting/TL10 (Light Airplane) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 14; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Communications) (A) IQ+2 [8] – 16; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Electronic Warfare) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 16; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Media) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 14; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Medical) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 14; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Scientific) (A) IQ-1 [1] – 13; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 15; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Sensors) (A) IQ-1 [1] – 13; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Surveillance) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 15; Encyclopedist! (WC) IQ+0 [24] – 14*; Hacker! (WC) IQ+2 [48] – 16*; Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) (H) IQ+2 [12] – 16; Mathematics/TL8 (Computer Science) (H) IQ+2 [12] – 16; Mathematics/TL8 (Cryptology) (H) IQ+2 [12] – 16; Mathematics/TL8 (Pure) (H) IQ+2 [12] – 16; Navigation/TL10 (Air) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 14; Navigation/TL10 (Land) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 14; Observation (A) Per+2 [8] – 16.
Starting Spending Money: $0.

* Conditional +4 from Evil Computer Talent when substituting for applicable skills.

Role-Playing Notes:
Friday is cheerful and helpful, though she has a mischievous streak which manifests both verbally and by changing her physical appearance. She sees Tony as both a brother (as he intended for her to be a virtual sister he never had in meatspace) and as her father (since he wrote her initial code).

Design Notes:
1. I honestly did not at first know how to handle an AI who lived entirely in the cloud and manifested as a hologram. I probably should have looked at Transhuman Space: Changing Times or THS: Shell-Tech, but as I really had no interest in THS as a setting I never got around to getting those books. At present, I'm sure she requires one of the Telecommunications traits to have access to other computers; I just don't know which Telecommunications to give her!

Last edited by Phantasm; 11-10-2023 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Replaced Injury Tolerance w/ Intangibility, adjusted total
Old 11-10-2023, 01:11 PM   #1829
Otaku

Not familiar with the character, but glancing* through the write up, Friday sounds rather interesting!

*Sorry, cheating to read this when I'm supposed to be doing other things. XP
Old 11-12-2023, 10:53 AM   #1830
Inky

Quote:
Design Notes:
1. I honestly did not at first know how to handle an AI who lived entirely in the cloud and manifested as a hologram. I probably should have looked at Transhuman Space: Changing Times or THS: Shell-Tech, but as I really had no interest in THS as a setting I never got around to getting those books. At present, I'm sure she requires one of the Telecommunications traits to have access to other computers; I just don't know which Telecommunications to give her!
Possibly, I haven't got those books either, but from GCS it looks like the Microframe has Cable Jack (from Ultra-Tech), Radio and Infrared, the first two with the Sensie enhancement, so I suppose you'd just give her whichever it makes sense for the computer/s she's running on to have - apparently, THS's approach to AIs is to stat the computer they're running on as their body, though you might not be able to do it entirely that way for Friday as what the hologram is doing is as relevant as what the computer is doing.

Possibly, I did do a rough write-up of Deadpool one time, as it happens, just the absolute basics (it was provoked by that bit in "Avengers Adventure" where his player was trying to argue that his disadvantages paid for his advantages and the GM wasn't buying it and I was curious to see exactly how drastically they wouldn't pay for them in GURPS), if Darkhol and/or Otaku are interested - it's probably all wrong, though, as it's based entirely on the film and I don't know anything about his appearances in the comics except odd bits I've seen and a few bits of hearsay - don't let it get in your way if you have a better idea, Phantasm.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men