Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
Plane

Default making healing or regeneration unfixed/variable using dice instead of static amounts

Has there been any approaches to doing this? I think the closest I've seen is that DR were changed to dice in Sorcery: Protection and Warning Spells.

Like for example since 10 damage is 3+7 (dice plus adds) you could change it to 2d+3, so could the highest level of Regeneration be 2d+3 HP per second?

The problem with doing this for the other regeneration rates is they're all "1 per" so you'd either need to make the time it takes to recover 1 HP variable, or else do something strange like "1 is 4-2 so it's equivalent to 1d-3", but that feels like cheating unless if you roll a 1 or 2 you actually suffer damage?

Healing isn't quite so bad since it happens in 2HP increments per FP, so you instead have something like "2 is 4-2 so it's equivalent to 1d-2" meaning damage only happens on rolling a 1.

But should that be damage to the healer or damage to the person you're trying to heal?

But would it actually be a zero-point feature to switch these abilities to dice? Or what sort of enhancement would it be if you could do EITHER as convenient (ie if they only lost 2 HP then obviously a fixed 2 is better than 0 to 5,)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: making healing or regeneration unfixed/variable using dice instead of static amou

You don't need to have damage being taken to use dice for low rates of healing like 1FP/unit time.

For example 1d-3 actually averages one point: 0+0+0+1+2+3 / 6 = 6 /6 = 1

1d-5 = 1/6
1d-4 = 1/2
1d-3 = 1
1d-2 = 1 2/3
1d-1 = 2 2/3

If you declare that the minimum result is 'one' (as the game does for non-crushing damage you get:

1d-6 = 1
1d-5 = 1
1d-4 = 1 1/6
1d-3 = 1 1/2
1d-2 = 2
1d-1 = 2 5/6

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
Plane

Default Re: making healing or regeneration unfixed/variable using dice instead of static amou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
1d-3 actually averages one point
0+0+0+1+2+3 / 6 = 6 /6 = 1
I guess that works if this is the only swap done...

Which I guess means that Healing should recover 2d-6 (0-6 instead of 3) per FP ?

Though I could also allowing a middle ground like doing (1d-3+1) "1d-2" (0-4) instead.

The average of 2d being 7 makes me think the average of that is 6, but as you point out there's no negative outcomes possible it does actually make the average 2...

Still if you wanted someone to be able to fiddle around and swap 1 for 1d-3 as needed for a circumstance (decide how much they want to gamble, whether with healing, with DR or with damage) I guess you could do that via Alternative Abilities but I was wondering if it could be an enhancement too.

Maybe the Variable enhancement should allow it?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dice + adds, fixed, healing, regeneration, unfixed