Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
valkray

Default Fit Advantage and HT-based rolls

The Fit advantages states:
You get +1 to all HT rolls (to stay conscious, avoid death, resist disease or poison, etc.). This does not improve your HT attribute or HT-based skills! You also recover FP at twice the normal rate.

Knockdown and Stunning (B420) use HT rolls, but the Fit advantage is not listed as a possible modifier.

Is the use of "all HT rolls" with the parenthetical examples ending ", etc." in the Fit definition supposed to include Knockdown and Stunning or were these two rolls supposed to be excluded, like the HT Attribute and HT-based skills?

Good either way, but would appreciate an official ruling.
valkray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Fit Advantage and HT-based rolls

I'd go with all meaning all and the list just an example not exhaustive or complete, especially since it includes the "etc.".
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkray View Post
Is the use of "all HT rolls" with the parenthetical examples ending ", etc." in the Fit definition supposed to include Knockdown and Stunning or were these two rolls supposed to be excluded, like the HT Attribute and HT-based skills?
They are HT rolls, they don't fit a listed exception, and they fit into 'etc', so as written it clearly applies to them.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #4
Ultraviolet

I would apply them to Knockdown or Stunning rolls, as well as rolls to stay conscious and recover from stunning.

Since it is not a skill, when you roll HT in a grappling contest (typically to resist damage) Fit should apply here as well.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:37 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Since it is not a skill, when you roll HT in a grappling contest (typically to resist damage) Fit should apply here as well.
And that's the one spot where I wouldn't apply it, resisting direct, force-applied damage.

Resisting damage due to poison or disease, where fitness matters? Sure.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkray View Post
Is the use of "all HT rolls" with the parenthetical examples ending ", etc." in the Fit definition supposed to include Knockdown and Stunning or were these two rolls supposed to be excluded, like the HT Attribute and HT-based skills
I would say it applies to all HT rolls, either as player or as GM.

IMO, making exceptions over this rule is up to the GM; I often avoid making exceptions which nerf game-play, especially when these pop-up during the game.

For example, I remember a long discussion over fit when resisting stun-guns and stun-grenade damage. Most of us had fit, but it was not worth the purchase because the GM decided fit did not cover certain HT rolls tenths of sessions away from game 0. He previously analyzed/accepted the fit advantage until he felt we played it too well.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Black Leviathan

I think the implication is that you're Healthy, just not in the sense that creates derived stats or provide Fatigue Points.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
Celjabba

Fit is a +1 to all HT roll . The ",etc" include everything were you roll against HT.

It doesn't improve the HT attribute, so it doesn't add to Basic speed, dodge, and fatigue points. (and, I guess, holding your breath time)

It doesn't help with HT-based skills roll.

As an aside, DFRPG mention that Fit apply to Knockdown rolls among the exemple listed for fit, even if it isn't listed in the knockdown rules.

Last edited by Celjabba; 09-05-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Boge

Considering you can increase your HT for only 2 points (by not increasing FP or Basic Speed), yeah, Fit should count for all HT rolls.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
DFRPG mention that Fit apply to Knockdown rolls among the exemple listed for fit, even if it isn't listed in the knockdown rules.
In a way it sort-of is since failing a Knockdown roll by 5 can knock you unconscious, so it is in a way a roll to stay conscious.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote