Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #21
Phantasm

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Elven Melee Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0matose View Post
(Also im not sure if armour multiplier is a thing at all)
Not going to touch upon the first part, as it's been covered. Suffice to say that I play in a lot of games where AD (5) is common and sometimes a necessity (then again, I don't dungeon-crawl).

"Armor multiplier" is kind of a rewording of the fractional armor divisors. AD (0.5) is basically "AM" (2), multiplying effective DR by 2, while AD (0.2) is effectively multiplying DR by 5, and AD (0.1) equals a multiplier of 10. These are generally found in bullets and other attacks that are meant to be blocked by armor or meant to not penetrate at all (like a good old-fashioned boxing glove arrow).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #22
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Alright, you're mixing two things here. Either you're using the straight DF rules, in which case AD(3) doesn't exist (for a reason). Or you're deriving your enchantments from GURPS Magic (the same place where DF derived its enchantments), in which case Penetrating Weapon, the spell, is found on page M63. Penetrating Weapon 1 (AD (2)) costs 250 energy points (thus, $5000), while Penetrating Weapon 2 (AD(3)) costs 750 energy points, so it's three times the cost (thus, $15000).

<snip>

Having an enchantment with extreme armor divisor might be absolutely vital for some cyberpunk elven street-samurai in a shadowrun knock-off for slicing open police in hardsuits, but it might be overkill in a game like DF, which is why DF doesn't allow, for example, Penetrating Weapon 5 ("Ignores DR")
But DF allows higher levels of Penetrating Weapon, up to Ignores Armor! They appear in Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables, and BTW, since I seed the treasures randomly from time to time, I've had some outlandish weapons with high levels of AD, (Discus with AD(10), for example) and the general opinion is that they're so expensive that they're vendor fodder. I did however create a Hardened enchantment, same cost as fortify per level, to counter Penetrating Weapon.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #23
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Where there are Elves there are Orcs...
I suggested a Orcish variant that let ‡ weapons (greataxes, mostly) stay ready after use with Move and Attacks, Committed Attacks, or All-out Attacks. The idea was to encourage orcs with big axes making continuous attacks, instead of attack-ready-attack-ready. It's a great choice for berserkers.

http://noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com...wo-weapon.html
Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #24
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
But DF allows higher levels of Penetrating Weapon, up to Ignores Armor! They appear in Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables, and BTW, since I seed the treasures randomly from time to time, I've had some outlandish weapons with high levels of AD, (Discus with AD(10), for example) and the general opinion is that they're so expensive that they're vendor fodder. I did however create a Hardened enchantment, same cost as fortify per level, to counter Penetrating Weapon.
You're much deeper into the DF mechanics than I am. Thanks for the correction.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #25
Cheomesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I suggested a Orcish variant that let ‡ weapons (greataxes, mostly) stay ready after use with Move and Attacks, Committed Attacks, or All-out Attacks. The idea was to encourage orcs with big axes making continuous attacks, instead of attack-ready-attack-ready. It's a great choice for berserkers.

http://noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com...wo-weapon.html
I would suspect that, at least when we're talking about Dungeon Fantasy, that would be a function more of having 1.5x minimum strength*, rather than any function of the weapon. How would you physically justify this mod, as well? What makes the Orcish ones not need to ready? Lighter weight or better balance?

*STR 18 for the generic "Great Axe" in Basic

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #26
mlangsdorf

It's DF; it doesn't need any more justification than Dwarven does for allowing axes to attack and parry in the same turn.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #27
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post

It's DF; it doesn't need any more justification than Dwarven does for allowing axes to attack and parry in the same turn.
Agreed. How does it work? Little known to the average orc, the spikes and protrusions don't just look scary-cool, but are arcane channels for the cosmic might of the god Bloorsh, famed for his unstoppable two-handed axe onslaughts. Unfortunately, these energies cause the user to be perceived as dangerous: -2 to reaction rolls and Influence skill rolls if the weapon is ever wielded in combat. This effect dissipates in 3d days if the weapon is separated from the user.
"But what if there's no mana? No sanctity? What if the area is immune to supernatural influences?"
"What part of 'cosmic' and 'unstoppable' are you not getting?"
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:45 AM   #28
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Tempered glass is noted as something elves like, so tempered glass elven weapons would be slick
This is ridiculous. What possible use could anyone ever have for a glass dagger?
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #29
RobKamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
This is ridiculous. What possible use could anyone ever have for a glass dagger?
They seems to have come up quite a bit in the Tower of N'Katoni adventure back in the 1980s. As I recall the evil mastermind, Gruubaer, used some sort of "floor of glass knives" spell to great effect on one of the heroes despite the disdain that they all showed for his esoteric spells?
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #30
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
It's an excellent assassination or sacrificial weapon, IMO. Glass - which would probably use the stats for obsidian - is often said to be sharper than metal, though it doesn't hold an edge that easily in combat, so you're looking at one-use weapons. Throwing knives, throwing stars/darts, arrows, stilettos... all of which you're expected to use and then retrieve later.

In fact, the tendency of glass to break in its target (usually off a bone) can be a plus when poisons are involved, as leaving a piece of poisoned glass inside the wound until your target can get to a surgeon to remove it means greater exposure to the poison. This is especially useful for slow-acting poisons.

As this is Fantasy, you can possibly enchant the tip of the blade to seek out the heart once it breaks off. Fun times!

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, elven, elves, quality, rules clarification