Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2023, 12:09 PM   #11
Phil Masters

Default Re: NEW GURPS Books on DriveThrusRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
If I follow your links to the books, and click the Preview button, I see only two pages from the middle of the book (a character for one, part of a character for the other). I don't see an intro, contents, or back cover. If I click on the book image I then see two identical copies of the front cover image in the viewer.

Some of the info is in the Description or info tables on the site, but I see no way to see the contents list or back cover blurb, for example.
Okay, a lot of that stuff is only visible in the small preview which is hard to read at best (and also suffers from a weird bug in the DriveThru system which overlays a black background on the white-background page). I'll tinker with the preview options to make these things more useful.

(Edit: Mutter mutter; there's some persistent bugginess in the DriveThru previews system. I'm trying to make sure that the Introduction page is visible for both, which should happen eventually, but changes don't always take effect immediately...)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.

Last edited by Phil Masters; 09-16-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 12:30 PM   #12
Phil Masters

Quote:
If I click on the book image I then see two identical copies of the front cover image in the viewer.
By the way, I'm not sure why you got the front cover twice... But the DriveThru system is a bit weird sometimes. And I think you'll now be able to see the Introductions to both books on the large preview.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:00 PM   #13
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
By the way, I'm not sure why you got the front cover twice... But the DriveThru system is a bit weird sometimes. And I think you'll now be able to see the Introductions to both books on the large preview.
Yes, indeed, the Intro with Contents now appears in both previews.

I'm now getting the 'large' preview for both books, also. As far as I can tell, there's no way to see the 'small' versus 'large' preview in the new UI; it's just the Preview button to get what you get. Clicking the cover just opens the images for the book. (I still see two front covers, but hopefully that'll clear up.)

Thank you for your efforts.
Old 09-17-2023, 12:03 PM   #14
Phil Masters

Quote:
I'm now getting the 'large' preview for both books, also. As far as I can tell, there's no way to see the 'small' versus 'large' preview in the new UI; it's just the Preview button to get what you get. Clicking the cover just opens the images for the book. (I still see two front covers, but hopefully that'll clear up.)
Okay, I fear I have to ask; how do I get at the new UI? Because Iím evidently seeing something a bit different to you, and I canít see any kind of toggle option.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:04 AM   #15
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Okay, I fear I have to ask; how do I get at the new UI? Because I’m evidently seeing something a bit different to you, and I can’t see any kind of toggle option.
I am afraid that I am not sure, and I am on holiday for a few days with nothing but a phone. It seemed to me that every time I visited the site for ages I would get a banner saying ‘try the new ui’ and then one day I just started seeing it. So I would hope that there would be such a banner for you ��

What I do know is that the old UI had two links for preview under the cover image: one for Quick Preview and one for Full Preview. The new one seems to just have one, a button: Preview.

I will see if I can figure a way to switch Ui options when I return, unless someone else can help before then.

Last edited by Armin; 09-18-2023 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 09:08 AM   #16
Phil Masters

Just a sec - are we talking about the DriveThru Web page, or their app?
Old 09-18-2023, 03:19 PM   #17
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Just a sec - are we talking about the DriveThru Web page, or their app?
Web page.

If there is an app that allows for browsing and previewing, I am not aware of it.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:26 PM   #18
Phil Masters

Crosstimers and Other Oddities is now available in printed (POD) form.

(Fantasy Foes and Friends will follow shortly if the second proof comes out better than the first...)
Old 09-21-2023, 12:27 PM   #19
Phil Masters

Just by way of a bonus, allow me to present AXEMASTER, the 30 point supervillain. Consider him to be Norgruk Niceaxe's 5% Ally, costing all of 1 point for full-time availability.

----------------

ST 12 [20]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 9 [-20]; HT 11 [10]
HP 12 [0]; Will 10 [5]; Per 9 [0]; FP 11 [0]
Basic Speed 5.25 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]
BL 29; Damage 1d-1/1d+2

Social Background
TL: 8 [0]
CF: Western (Native) [0].
Languages: English (Native) [0].

Advantages
Combat Reflexes [15].

Disadvantages
Odious Personal Habit 1 (Surly) [-5]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5].

Skills
Area Knowledge (Home City) (E) IQ [1]-9; Axe/Mace (A) DX [2]-10; Brawling (E) DX+2 [4]-12; Intimidation (A) Will-1 [1]-9; Stealth (A) DX-1 [1]-9; Streetwise (A) IQ-1 [1]-8.

----------------

Left to himself, Axemaster gets combat abilities such as:

Axe: Dam 1d+4 cut, Reach 1, Skill-10, Parry 9U.
Brawling Punch: Dam 1d-1 cr, Reach C, Skill-12, Parry 10.

But with Norgruk in hand, that becomes...

Axe: Dam 2d+2 cut, Reach 1, Skill-14, Parry 11U.
Brawling Punch: Dam 1d cr, Reach C, Skill-16, Parry:12.

One can of course quite safely assume that Norgruk gets through a lot of Axemasters. Well, it only costs him one bonus character point to replace them...
Old 09-23-2023, 02:09 PM   #20
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, it seems that the new UI is rolled out to me on a 'selected group' basis, which is probably why you're not seeing it. I did think it was the same UI that was available as a preview to everyone, but since I never previewed it, I'm not certain.

Anyway, here's a link to what I see when I go there. This should be 2 images on my OneDrive, so the first image is the message about the test rollout of the UI, and the second image is what I see when I look at your book page for Crosstimers.

From this, you can see the Preview button, which brings up the only preview option (Full Preview, now).

You can also see the product images: the 'main' image and the 'secondary' image available below that. Clicking either image brings it up in a carousel display so you can move between the available images. (They're both the same image in this case, but I believe the second one should be the back cover for you.)

I hope that helps a bit, although I'm not sure there's much you can do about it at this point.

Tags
crosstimers, drivethrurpg, fantasy characters, pyramid