Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Kingmaker

Default Weapons question,

I know weapons with a strenght indicator B indicate that they can use a bipod to have their strenght requirements dropped by 1/3rd. I know that the M indicator means that a weapon is usually vehicle mounted.

I'm wondering if it's possible for very strong characters to use vehicle mounted weapons such as HMG's with a bipod. One of my characters has a strength of 14, and in our early TL9 game there really isn't any weapon in the book that would allow him to use his strength. there is the weapons harness that allows you to treat any weapon as braced, and I was wondering if that could be used with an HMG so he could carry it.
Kingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Nymdok

Default Re: Weapons question,

B270 says ignore the listed ST. That ST only applies when its not mounted.

The HMG listed in basic says 20M so it requires a ST 20 while NOT mounted.

If you rigged a bipod for it, that would make its ST 20 only require ST 14.

So Id personally rule that you COULD infact rig it with a Bipod.

Note that this is only for the actual use of the weapon. Its normal full encumbrance still applies to pack it and tote it.

Also note that using the weapon WITHOUT the bipod will inflict the -6 penalty to a ST14 Char. (20-14 = 6)

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmaker View Post
I'm wondering if it's possible for very strong characters to use vehicle mounted weapons such as HMG's with a bipod.
Beyond N's response on the RAW rules...

IIRC in WWII the Browning M1919 (normally used vechicle mounted or on a tripod) had a version for the Airborne Troopers that used a Bipod to save weight...

A 31 lb Medium Machine Gun that entered service in 1919...by TL 9 I think a Heavy Machine Gun could be shoe-horned into the weight and dimensions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1919_Browning_machine_gun
Old 06-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
TJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
IIRC in WWII the Browning M1919 (normally used vechicle mounted or on a tripod) had a version for the Airborne Troopers that used a Bipod to save weight...
That's be the M1919A6. Funny thing was, it (the weapon itself) was actually heavier. Here's a quote from the Wikipedia entry you linked to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Another version of the M1919A4, the M1919A6, was an attempt to make the weapon into a light machine gun by attaching a buttstock and lighter barrel — 4 lb (1.8 kg) instead of 7 lb (3.2 kg). The A6 version was in fact heavier than the A4 without its tripod, at 32 lb (15 kg), though its bipod made for faster deployment and enabled the machine gun team to dispense with one man (the tripod bearer).