Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2020, 02:02 AM   #31
Ejidoth

Default Re: GURPS Magic: The Least of Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Would Magnetic Finger be strong enough to wipe credit cards, magnetic disks, etc?
It takes a pretty strong magnet to wipe a proper credit card quickly, though prolonged exposure can be a problem. I'd expect the spell not to be strong enough. Some other stuff with magnetic strips can be a lot weaker, though; you could probably ruin a gift card or a hotel room key or something.

Someone else will have to answer re: disks, I don't know enough on that topic.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:49 AM   #32
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
It takes a pretty strong magnet to wipe a proper credit card quickly, though prolonged exposure can be a problem. I'd expect the spell not to be strong enough. Some other stuff with magnetic strips can be a lot weaker, though; you could probably ruin a gift card or a hotel room key or something.

Someone else will have to answer re: disks, I don't know enough on that topic.
Pretty sure it's not that easy to wipe floppy disks, either, never mind hard disks.

Although don't quote me on that.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:04 AM   #33
Anders

*Research Roll*

So a credit card requires about 4000 Gauss to demagnetize it, while a gift card, hotel card, etc. requires about 300 Gauss. So what's the magnetic flux density of a Magnetic Finger spell?

Edit: Physics Girl explains more about this

Last edited by Anders; 07-25-2020 at 04:07 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:24 AM   #34
johndallman
Night Watchman

Sunglasses (A)
Regular

Subject gains Protected Vision against non-magical light sources. Also a Protection and Warning spell.

Duration: 1 minute.
Cost: 1. Same cost to maintain.

Earmuffs (A)
Regular

Subject gains Protected Hearing against non-magical noises. Also a Protection and Warning spell.

Duration: 1 minute.
Cost: 1. Same cost to maintain.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #35
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Pretty sure it's not that easy to wipe floppy disks, either, never mind hard disks.

Although don't quote me on that.
"Wipe" is different to "ruin." You'll probably mess up quite a few sectors of a floppy with a couple of passes of a magnet so that it won't read, though data might be recoverable with a disk doctor program. (Source: did this in an ill-advised schoolroom prank in high school with a small horseshoe magnet to a fellow student's Apple IIe boot disk.)
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:45 AM   #36
Anders

We'll have to ask the Krommnificient one, who is a) the guy who designed the spell, and b) is a former physicist. What is the magnetic flux density of the Magnetic Finger spell? In Tesla, or Gauss if you prefer. :o)
Old 07-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #37
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
*Research Roll*

So a credit card requires about 4000 Gauss to demagnetize it, while a gift card, hotel card, etc. requires about 300 Gauss. So what's the magnetic flux density of a Magnetic Finger spell?
The figure of "50 gauss" is in my memory for refrigerator magnets. What I'd actually use to sweep for dropped ferrous objects is a decently sized neodymium magnet and that's pretty strong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders...magnetic_field)

...has neodymium at 1.25 kiloGauss. Won't leivitate a frog and it's not even up to MRI levels.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #38
Fred Brackin

I got this last night. I only waited that long because I seldom get to read significant masses of Gurps material durign the day.

There were multiple spells that I'd been looking for. I'm planning a way to make money in a busy port city by selling anti-seasickness charms that actually work. If you and a buddy are just a little above average in FP you could churn out maybe 5 Sea Legs items per day and gross $125 per day at the base price of $1 per energy pt.

Sea Legs and (I think Stprm Shelter) are quite viable magic items as they have durations of an hour and costs of 1. They can get by without any Power Enchantments. If you were already having a self-powerd Item made there are many useful spells that you could add to it cheaply.

This would do even more to make useful magic a thing of the wealthy rather than the masses but charging cp for the Spells already does that. An IQ 10 guy has to put 8 cp into a least Spell to get it up to 12. If has that many cp to spare he won't be poor long anyway. He probably won't be IQ 10 either.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #39
Ulzgoroth

GURPS character points are not normally an in-character resource...
Old 07-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #40
SolemnGolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
It’s taking all my self control not to just buy this now instead of waiting for the Kickstarter fulfillment to use the credit from there.
I thought about that too, but I decided to buy it with cash because I'm not sure if the KS funds actually can be used for this title.

Titles must be a) from the GURPS line, and b) already released in order for the KS money to be used on them.

I'm not sure how strict the timing of "already released" would be, since this title was released post-KS.

EDIT: You absolutely can use your Kickstarter Backerkit credit to buy Least of Spells.

Last edited by SolemnGolem; 08-02-2020 at 02:58 PM.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, trivial spells