Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #961
Rupert

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

I found a mention in Magic (M11) - area spells are four yards high as the default, and 'wall' spell descriptions all back this up. So the default hex is four yards high for standard magic. This is also mentioned in Characters (B239).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #962
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I found a mention in Magic (M11) - area spells are four yards high as the default, and 'wall' spell descriptions all back this up. So the default hex is four yards high for standard magic. This is also mentioned in Characters (B239).
Magic! I should have known. I knew about Area spells of course, but since my space station was a hard science project I didn't consider it. Better keep wizards off the station then. If the support structure for a deck lies beneath it, an Area spell might ruin someone else's day. (If it even stuck to the deck of a rotating and orbiting space station at all. ;) )
Dalton “Sir, I think we need to change our orbit” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #963
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
Could you tell me where you learned this?
The specific reference i was remembering was p. B101, which i'll admit doesn't explicitly say hex, but as Rupert specified, Magic does; i'm pretty sure other references could be dug up as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set: Characters
Assume that range is 100 yards, area is a circle 2 yards in radius (and 12’ high, should volume matter), and duration is 10 seconds, unless the advantage specifies otherwise. Exceptions will be noted.
(Emphasis added.)
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #964
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
The specific reference i was remembering was p. B101, which i'll admit doesn't explicitly say hex, but as Rupert specified, Magic does; i'm pretty sure other references could be dug up as well.
I guess I'd better not let any supers with enhanced advantages on board either. :D
Dalton “I love people with powers. Just not on my station.” Spence
Old 09-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #965
DaltonS

I was browsing some of my older posts recently when I came across some ship designs I was (and am) rather proud of. Unfortunately when I checked my "Unofficial Ships" sheet I had apparently not saved them there. In the process of reconstructing them I noticed a couple of things I hadn't before. I won't call them errors but they did surprise me.
  1. Whether the "Calculate Troop Strength" checkbox is checked or not, Troop Strength is still listed in the generated notes (and calculated for all auxiliary vessels).
  2. "Spin Tethers" can be selected as a option but won't be listed unless the "Spin Gravity" option is checked. This actually makes sense structurally but the "Spin Tether" option should be zeroed and locked down if "Spin Gravity" is unchecked. Also the Spin Tether G value in the notes should go to 2 decimal places (or 3 significant digits).
Dalton “puzzled but glad to be back” Spence

Last edited by DaltonS; 09-14-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #966
DaltonS

Another thing I just noticed: the IR signature of a "Reconfigurable System" is the total of the signatures of all the components. That makes no sense since only one component can be active at any given time. Instead the signature should be the highest one of any of the components. I have a Fission Reactor/NTR (Ram Rocket) combo (which makes a little sense, right) which can power a VASMIR Electric Rocket in space once the NTR has got them there. I'm adding Exposed Radiators for the reactor which will be retracted the the NTR mode is being used.
Dalton “revisiting my 'Mars Semi-Cycler' idea” Spence

Last edited by DaltonS; 09-14-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added why I looked at the IR Sig in the first place.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #967
DaltonS

I just started designing my Mars Base (okay, my starting point was "The Warren" from Pyramid 3/71, page 11 but I made extensive changes) and came across a couple of features that don't seem to work.
  1. Solar Power Options - I set the Stellar Distance to 1.5 AU like I should but even with 3 Solar Panel Systems I didn't get a single power point. Don't you add partial Solar Power points together?
  2. When I selected the "Optimized for [Craft]" option for my hangar bay there was no list of auxiliary vehicles to choose from in the Option 4 column.
Dalton “Special features that don't work aren't that special” Spence

Last edited by DaltonS; 09-15-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:10 PM   #968
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Solar Power Options - I set the Stellar Distance to 1.5 AU like I should but even with 3 Solar Panel Systems I didn't get a single power point. Don't you add partial Solar Power points together?
It should, yes, but apparently is not on the system itself. However, the Power Points do seem to be showing up in the Power Points Note that appears above the Ship Systems.

Quote:
When I selected the "Optimized for [Craft]" option for my hangar bay there was no list of auxiliary vehicles to choose from in the Option 4 column.
That field allows you to type in a value, since it's basically informational for the system note.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #969
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
It should, yes, but apparently is not on the system itself. However, the Power Points do seem to be showing up in the Power Points Note that appears above the Ship Systems.
Nope, still a total of 0 power points for all three Solar Panel Arrays. (The original "Warren" design never adjusted the Solar Power Options.) Should be a total of 1 regular and 1 small power point if it worked. There is a nice note explaining "[8] Power Points ×0.444 for Stellar Luminosity 1.0 L and Distance 1.5 AU, [9] Optimized for Mars Trans-Orbital Taxi (L)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
That field allows you to type in a value, since it's basically informational for the system note.
Okay, I was just hoping that if a drop down list of vehicles could be used as a "Vehicle Docks" option it could generated here.
Dalton “Is a domed 'open space' greenhouse really a good idea?” Spence

Last edited by DaltonS; 09-16-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:12 AM   #970
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Nope, still a total of 0 power points for all three Solar Panel Arrays. (The original "Warren" design never adjusted the Solar Power Options.) Should be a total of 1 regular and 1 small power point if it worked. There is a nice note explaining "[8] Power Points ×0.444 for Stellar Luminosity 1.0 L and Distance 1.5 AU, [9] Optimized for Mars Trans-Orbital Taxi (L)"
Yeah, there are some issues with the way it's handling it. I'm going to look into it when I get some time.

Quote:
Okay, I was just hoping that if a drop down list of vehicles could be used as a "Vehicle Docks" option it could generated here.
I'm not sure why I never set it up like the Vehicle Dock with the dropdown. Maybe I'll go back and revisit that.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet