Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #51
kjamma4
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicagoland Area, Illinois
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

So, how many auto manufacturers are there in NA?
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:27 AM   #52
swordtart
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
So, how many auto manufacturers are there in NA?
More than one.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #53
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Not convinced (and never have been).
I could sillywalk through every single point on which you are Factually Incorrect, but you would not listen; so I will leave it here.

(I could also point out the 1,600-lb. *teleguided* CB; I didn't get to use that one much, as it came after I moved to Omaha, and was dealing with the comic-book campaign NOVA was running. But that little beast made Biker Gangs even more scarce.)
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #54
swordtart
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I could sillywalk through every single point on which you are Factually Incorrect, but you would not listen; so I will leave it here.

(I could also point out the 1,600-lb. *teleguided* CB; I didn't get to use that one much, as it came after I moved to Omaha, and was dealing with the comic-book campaign NOVA was running. But that little beast made Biker Gangs even more scarce.)
That's a pretty rude response. I have addressed each point you have raised with reference to the rules in the game materials. Your responses on the other hand have been vague (to the point of being cryptic), anecdotal and unsupported by rules references.

I have always been willing to entertain robust supported argument. Where I have been able to accept the logic but still disagree with the conclusion I have tried to be fair and agree to disagree, I usually signal this by stating "this is heresy" in my post.

I have noted you tend to simply withdraw from discussions where your logic or references have been comprehensibly refuted only to trot out the same flawed logic on another thread. You also frequently seem to ignore the content of the posts (you would see for example I have already pointed out the use of teleguided bombs as a practical alternative).

I agree there is no further point in discussing this with you here. You are entitled to your opinion. You are also entitled to post your opinion on these forums. However your opinion is no more valid than any other. If you post your opinion worded as though it is fact but unsupported by specific rule references you can expect it to be challenged.

I note that is you who has the Jeremy Clarkson quote as your signature block.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #55
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire
 
fwcain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

And now a message from a Moderator...

Please be nice to one another.
Please do not engage in any trolling or flaming.


That is all. Please carry on.

Thank you,
Franklin
__________________
Franklin W. Cain
Evil Game Master For Hire -- Have Dice, Will Travel
SJG MIB # 9808; Net.Rep.: Chez G* and Frag
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #56
juris
 
juris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Lol - lock this thread you killed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
More than one.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:05 PM   #57
swordtart
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Lol - lock this thread you killed it
Yes, it has been a zombie for a while, but I was genuinely interested in exploring whether I had misunderstood the Aeroduel rules and whether bombing rendered the ground vehicles redundant (since what is true for a bike is equally true for a car) and thus undermined the basic premise of the game.

It seems that the bombing rules may not themselves be that terminal. If the strict rules on the projected end point of a bomb i.e. determined directly by aircraft vector and altitude (and not by a simple selection of any target that happens to be in the A/C front arc and a to hit roll) are adhered to then getting them to strike a specific point is hard enough at excessive altitude or speed to balance their potential power.

A/C are probably too hard to hit in general (once speed and range modifiers are taken into account) and air power should be used sparingly, but they equally present little more than a random threat to ground vehicles if they are sensible costed and limited in number. On that basic they add a little colour and force additional design decisions on players (e.g. top armour) and so are fine as occasional scenario additions as either adversaries or objectives.

On the whole I think they work best as NPC vehicles. Player air vehicles should be limited to the very cheapest possible as a friend in the sky or scout but not as the core vehicle.

I'll leave it there I think and archive it for future reference.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.