Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #71
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: The Beauty of GURPS

I have known geniuses that have ended up working convenience stores due to poor life choice and/or bad luck, so it is not even improbable (just unlikely). As for the salesman, the guy is good enough to rock Wealth (Wealthy), so he is probably just content with the commissions that he makes off his sales. He probably works at a higher end retailer though.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #72
FeiLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
An appliance saleman

Attributes: ST 12 [20]
He's got to move these refrigerators; he's got to move these color TVs.
Clearly, he’s pushing products in a more literal way...

(Is it just me or wasn’t quoted quotes included when quoting someone? Oh, well, seems it’s not anymore at least.)
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #73
FeiLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
The fact that all of these approaches can work very well, depending upon the GM and campaign is, to me, part of the beauty of GURPS.
Nice way to tie back to the topic
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:12 AM   #74
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlyce View Post
So you are saying my Knife skill of 10 in a 250 point modern horror/psi game is too low?

Before you ask, it is my only combat skill, but I do have Public Speaking at 18...
Only if you actually plan on using a knife. I also add 10 for "I never want to roll against this but a default sucks" but that rarely comes up. On the flipside, you basically have a perk that says "Knives are fists" and perks are fine characterization tools.

Oh yeah, PERKS. Perks and Quirks are amazing and I swear only GURPS has both the want and capability to have them (many other universal systems don't have fine enough granulation for them). I love them so much that I instantly got those two Power Ups books without even looking at the prices.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #75
AlexanderHowl

Yes, the problem with many universal systems is that they tend to be 0-5 or 0-6 for the range of traits while GURPS is 0 to Infinity, so there is a lack of granulation. Of course, this is a problem for new players if their GM does not guide them with templates, lenses and/or or trait packages.

For example, I often require players to take a 16 CP background skill package, a 16 CP education skill package, a 16 CP professional skill package, and a 16 CP adventure skill package. With 64 CP in skills, my players tend to have well rounded characters. It does help though that one of my house rules allows characters to ignore a -1 skill penalty for every 4 CP invested in a skill, so players do not feel that they are wasting CP.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #76
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Clearly, he’s pushing products in a more literal way...
Got to be able to push open doors when someone tries to close them.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #77
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Got to be able to push open doors when someone tries to close them.
ST 12 isn't that exceptional. I imagine that 5% of men are ST 12+ (and I was much stronger than ST 12 before my back issues developed, as I could squat 500 lbs without any real effort).
Old 10-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #78
Tyneras

One of the beautiful things about GURPS is that it effortlessly handles wildly different power levels and playstyles. Whether you're playing realistic everyman characters with no skill level above 12 or a living god with skill 35, the game doesn't break down because you deviated from a narrow and rigid progression track. I think the only place the game starts having problems is at the very low end, and that's due to granularity and rounding to integer values starts having a significant effect.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #79
tbone

I'll give another cheer for the "do anything" nature of GURPS.

Just look at the game's official forum. Right now, on the first few pages, there are ongoing discussions related to plastic body armor, the character dynamics of fanaticism, cross-overs between modern and fantasy-world languages, damage from tracer rounds, alchemical charm production, WWII anti-tank tactics, a mafia-in-mecha campaign setting, stats for high school horror heroes, traits for three-headed races, and gaming weird tech from the Dune universe.

All for one game system. That's a thing of beauty.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:37 AM   #80
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I'll give another cheer for the "do anything" nature of GURPS.

Just look at the game's official forum. Right now, on the first few pages, there are ongoing discussions related to plastic body armor, the character dynamics of fanaticism, cross-overs between modern and fantasy-world languages, damage from tracer rounds, alchemical charm production, WWII anti-tank tactics, a mafia-in-mecha campaign setting, stats for high school horror heroes, traits for three-headed races, and gaming weird tech from the Dune universe.

All for one game system. That's a thing of beauty.
And I don't see any reason these discussions can't be all for the same game ;)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4e