Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2021, 06:23 AM   #81
Phil Masters

Default Re: GURPS On Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrusclavus View Post
I'm not certain which company does this but my group started Discworld a few weeks back (each buying a copy of the pdf) and one player then arranged to print a hardback copy for each player (one book oer pdf bought is allowed). It is not cheap but having a physical book is so much nicer.
I use lulu.com to convert PDFs into print books. There are doubtless other options. (And hardback is doubtless nice and robust, but softback is cheaper.)

Thanks for your choice of game!
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:44 AM   #82
Obbian

Apparently amazon PoD does color now? Is there some extra manhours required to produce the print on demand in color? I would love to buy some sourcebooks, and i would much prefer them to be in color rather than black and white. And i would not mind paying a little bit extra for it.
Obbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:10 AM   #83
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obbian View Post
Apparently amazon PoD does color now? Is there some extra manhours required to produce the print on demand in color?
Yes. A lot of hours, plus the expense of printing/shipping proofs and then again when fixes are made . . . and then again.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #84
Prime Evil

Does Amazon PoD offer an option for both hardcover and softcover? Or are we limited to softcover only for the foreseeable future?
Prime Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #85
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Evil View Post
Does Amazon PoD offer an option for both hardcover and softcover? Or are we limited to softcover only for the foreseeable future?
These books are softcovers. I do not know of a hardcover option through Amazon. If there is, it would fall in the same camp as color: A lot of energy that may not have a strong enough return to be worth the investment.

If something changes, we will make an announcement. For now, our focus is on getting the library uploaded and available as best we can.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #86
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
These books are softcovers. I do not know of a hardcover option through Amazon. If there is, it would fall in the same camp as color: A lot of energy that may not have a strong enough return to be worth the investment.

If something changes, we will make an announcement. For now, our focus is on getting the library uploaded and available as best we can.
I appreciate what you are doing. I have to admit if I couldn't get some of the basic 4e books in print I probably wouldn't have taken up GURPS. I think the PoD books from amazon are pretty nicely done. Color would be nice but they are decent and very usable as is. I appreciate your efforts.

I do wish a few of them were upgraded to 4e in terms of rules. I know for many it's not that hard to adjust the rules as a GM but have a 4e version would be nice. I'd probably favor that over color or hardback versions of 3e.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #87
Prime Evil

Quote:

Thanks for that! I figured something like this would be the reason. I'm just happy to get a few of the 3e books I missed the first time around. It's a pity we won't see many of the licensed books again, but getting a fresh copy of GURPS Conan was a pleasant surprise.
Prime Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:02 AM   #88
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I do wish a few of them were upgraded to 4e in terms of rules.
That would be even more expensive and complicated, for possibly little to no actual return on the investment. Sean and Steven know a lot more about this than I do, but I see sales numbers vs costs and know that we would need to take a risk to make this happen.

There may be some things we can do over the next year or so, but updating older books to 4th edition isn't likely.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:05 AM   #89
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Evil View Post
It's a pity we won't see many of the licensed books again, but getting a fresh copy of GURPS Conan was a pleasant surprise.
We are making as many arrangements as possible. And will keep making older titles available when we can cut deals. (Deadlands, for example, is now part of the program.)

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ondemand/
Old 08-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #90
Emerikol

Quote:
That would be even more expensive and complicated, for possibly little to no actual return on the investment. Sean and Steven know a lot more about this than I do, but I see sales numbers vs costs and know that we would need to take a risk to make this happen.

There may be some things we can do over the next year or so, but updating older books to 4th edition isn't likely.
I get the impression that if the book didn't exist that in most cases it wouldn't be created. That tells me you all didn't think the book was all that viable in hindsight. With exceptions of course. The real big sellers are all there.

I just wish in a way there was some way for there to be a community effort to get these translated over. In cases where the book is primarily rules like a vehicles book then it's likely hopeless but if it were a book like alternate earths (just as an example) that is primarily about the flavor and ideas, I'd think it could be done. I'm not a games publisher though so I am not stating that opinion as an authority on the matter. I'm just seeing the amount of rules in the book and giving an armchair guess. Definitely not intending to insult what you do.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pod; print on demand