Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2021, 03:33 AM   #31
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Magic Guidance Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
For me, I found Characters to be cool but 250 points far to high for my tastes. For me old school gaming was all about zero to hero. 250 is a pretty big hero in my book already. Otherwise I won't say these templates are not useful as I can pare them down make use of some of the ideas. Exploits was a limited rules reprint and necessary for those just buying DFRPG and not GURPS.
If you really want to see pared down D&Dish templates take a look at D&D to GURPS They have the barest amount of skills and advantages to get them out the door. Of course to make that cheap I decoupled the class from the attributes.

So you have [14] for the Fighter with [46+] for the Paladin lens and that is not counting any Spells or Talents.

Quote:
I found monsters to be useful though limited. I'd like to see a 2 or 3 hundred monster bestiary. Spells was great but unnecessary as I own magic. So for me 2 of the three books were not useful at all and only monsters was really useful. I admit going in though I did expect overlap so I'm not complaining specifically about that. My complaint is mainly that they assume a style of play that was never super common and is almost unheard of these days.

I am though generally interested in the Dungeon Fantasy line independent of DFRPG and plan on buying some of those titles. For me most of the time I'm getting ideas to graft into my campaign and rarely using things exactly as is.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:53 AM   #32
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
This is well done. While I don't want to emulate D&D, I do have things in D&D that I want some equivalent for in GURPS. Magic items especially.

Thanks for the link. I will keep checking it out.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #33
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
This is well done. While I don't want to emulate D&D, I do have things in D&D that I want some equivalent for in GURPS. Magic items especially.
For D&D like magic items there is Building D&D Magic Items in GURPS, D&D Artifacts (which were so OP that AFAIK they only appeared in AD&D1), and Fantastic Treasures (a GURPS version of the 1984, 1985 classic reduced to the bare bones)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:11 AM   #34
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
For D&D like magic items there is Building D&D Magic Items in GURPS, D&D Artifacts (which were so OP that AFAIK they only appeared in AD&D1), and Fantastic Treasures (a GURPS version of the 1984, 1985 classic reduced to the bare bones)
Thanks again this is good stuff. You got a great blog.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #35
Prince Charon

Quote:
Thanks again this is good stuff. You got a great blog.
It's not his blog, it's the GURPS wikia. He's just enthusiastic and generally helpful about updating it and reminding people that it's there.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:16 AM   #36
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
It's not his blog, it's the GURPS wikia. He's just enthusiastic and generally helpful about updating it and reminding people that it's there.
I realized that after I got to reading it a bit more. lol. I appreciate the reference either way.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #37
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
I realized that after I got to reading it a bit more. lol. I appreciate the reference either way.
If you are into magic items there is the Magic Items Catalog