Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #91
aesir23

Default Re: [SUPERS] My Unofficial Handbook to the DC Universe

Affiliation: Gotham City Sirens

Group Membership: Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy.

The Sirens are not a formal gang, but rather just a tenuous friendship that results in frequent cooperation. "Gotham City Sirens" is an Out Of Character name for this trio of friends. Nobody in universe calls them that.

Harley and Ivy have a genuine friendship going back to the very first time Harley Quinn tried to leave her relationship with the Joker and Poison Ivy gave her a place to stay and protection from her angry ex-lover.

Catwoman's place in this dynamic is more complicated, she joined when Poison Ivy saved her life from another supervillain (for mysterious reasons). Catwoman and Poison Ivy see eye-to-eye on the need to help Harley Quinn put The Joker behind her once and for all--their shared purpose to this effect is pretty much the only thing that holds them together.

Catwoman genuinely cares for Harley and Ivy; she sees the potential for good in both of her "team-mates." But she also knows how dangerous they are, so she tries to control them and redirect them to protect innocent lives. This is a lot easier with Harley (who takes naturally to following orders) than with Poison Ivy.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #92
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Villain: Poison Ivy
Alias: Pamela Isley
Allies and Affiliations:Harley Quinn, Catwoman, Villains of Gotham City, Gotham City Sirens.

Create Toxins and Drugs within her body:
Modular Ability: (Afflictions)
Alternative Ability: Toxic Attack
Alternative Ability: Mind Control (Contact Agent)

Control Plants:
Control (Plants)
Alternate Power: Binding
Alternate Power: Telekinesis with animation.

Pheromones
Appearance (V. Beautiful becomes Transcendent w/ Scent-Based)
Mind Contol (Emotion Control with men only.)
You have her Appearance pheromones affecting women (and, err... aliens, dogs, plants, intelligent rocks, things that dont breath, ghosts... anything with a sense of smell). Is that... intentional? Seems like Universal at least should get taken off, changing the reaction bonus from +5 to everyone to +8/+2 to humans... which seems more like what you are going for?

Binding and TK as alternative abilities is kind of redundant. You can grapple with the TK. And with the AA setup, if you Bind someone and then switch over to TK to move them, you actually lose the binding and have to regrapple. Id either pull one or the other out of that AA block, or just dump Binding and use TK instead.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #93
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Binding and TK as alternative abilities is kind of redundant. You can grapple with the TK. And with the AA setup, if you Bind someone and then switch over to TK to move them, you actually lose the binding and have to regrapple. Id either pull one or the other out of that AA block, or just dump Binding and use TK instead.
That TK is heavily limited, it merely allows her to animate plants and walk them around like creatures, while the Binding locks down her opponents in a nice area of effect. They're pretty different abilities, I'd hate to lose one or try to squeeze both effects out of one of them.

I could see uncoupling them, though.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #94
RyanW

Quote:
Whatever you've heard about the origins of The Joker is probably a lie.
Even if he told you himself.

Wait. No. Especially if he told you himself.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #95
chandley

Quote:
That TK is heavily limited, it merely allows her to animate plants and walk them around like creatures, while the Binding locks down her opponents in a nice area of effect. They're pretty different abilities, I'd hate to lose one or try to squeeze both effects out of one of them.

I could see uncoupling them, though.
Hrm. Animation isnt really that limited. The plants can, per Powers p.83: "grab, lift, strike, and throw with ST equal to the TK level needed to animate it." Thus they can grapple just fine. Admittedly it might take a tree to get a ST near what the binding level is, but from a "dont blow my suspension of disbelief suspenders" point of view, that is not a bad thing. Having Batman pinned to the ground by leaves of grass seems a stretch, but who knows, maybe that happened in the comics.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #96
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Having Batman pinned to the ground by leaves of grass seems a stretch, but who knows, maybe that happened in the comics.
It's more like the leaves of grass grow into thick vines and roots that coil around him in an instant.

The accessibility limitation merely means that there must be plant growth in the area being bound, e.g. she can do it on a mowed lawn, but not in a parking garage.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #97
Adversary

I like your design for The Joker, especially some of his disadvantages--his delusion, obsession, code of honor, etc.).

I wonder though if he should have some charisma, leadership, strategy, and a positive reputation with some parts of the underworld? He often seems able to recruit lots of goons for his plans. (The movie version has some kind of special rapport with the insane, maybe a +4 reputation that only applies to certain disturbed people. "He can make the voices go away.")

I've always assumed that in between his recorded encounters with Batman, the Joker does a fair number of profitable, more or less normal heists. Enough so that the average goon knows that if you hook up with him there's a good chance you'll make a pile of cash. Unfortunately, you may also get sacrificed as a pawn in some mad caper directed at the Batman. But you don't know which going in, and the odds of making money are good enough that he can always recruit followers. The Joker did start out, way way back in the day, as a thief who went after jewels and other high-end items (albeit usually by poisoning the guards with joker venom).

This version his his ally group, so he will have sufficient minions for most purposes. Just depends on how much of a boss/leader you want him to be.
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #98
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
I've always assumed that in between his recorded encounters with Batman, the Joker does a fair number of profitable, more or less normal heists. Enough so that the average goon knows that if you hook up with him there's a good chance you'll make a pile of cash.
I assume that is the case with nearly every baddy in the DC Universe. Simply put, crime pays well enough except when the cops get lucky or you get unlucky and face down a superhero. Villains with ulterior motives still turn enough of a profit that (assuming they lack other income sources) they still get their "business" done. There are likely other factors too of course: the Joker appeals to the anarchy minded I think (you risk your life but if you live you have crazy fun and get paid well) or the desperate (you can't cut it in someone else's gang or are already in trouble - for example the Joker might kill you, but if you stay on your own the Penguin will definitely kill you).

I think the Arkham games include this in some of the dialog; talks about how [insert primary or secondary villain] treats "his boys" better than [insert other villain], as well as the prestige certain better known names rank. Frankly I have a harder time believing that the big names don't regularly succeed "off camera".
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 03-12-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #99
aesir23

Quote:
I like your design for The Joker, especially some of his disadvantages--his delusion, obsession, code of honor, etc.).
Thanks!
Quote:
I wonder though if he should have some charisma, leadership, strategy, and a positive reputation with some parts of the underworld? He often seems able to recruit lots of goons for his plans. [...]

This version his his ally group, so he will have sufficient minions for most purposes. Just depends on how much of a boss/leader you want him to be.
Personally, I like to reserve Charisma for people who have something really special--most people, even those we'd consider "charismatic" get by on a combination of Appearance, Reputation, and influence skills.

That said, I don't think Joker's a particularly good leader, nor particularly likable (except perhaps to other insane people.)

Basically, I'd say that he has two kinds of goons in his gang--
A: Other crazy people he's manipulated (represented by Ally Group).
and B: People he's hired who will work for anyone (who require no representation on character sheets.

That said, it does seem that I've undersold Joker on his social skills a little. He does seem to be really good at manipulating people to do what he wants. He should probably have high levels of Acting, and Fast Talk, as well as possibly Diplomacy and Leadership--after all, he does manage to rise to a position of power whenever the inmates take over Arkham.

Yes, I've decided, I'll make those changes now.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #100
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I assume that is the case with nearly every baddy in the DC Universe. Simply put, crime pays well enough except when the cops get lucky or you get unlucky and face down a superhero. Villains with ulterior motives still turn enough of a profit that (assuming they lack other income sources) they still get their "business" done. There are likely other factors too of course: the Joker appeals to the anarchy minded I think (you risk your life but if you live you have crazy fun and get paid well) or the desperate (you can't cut it in someone else's gang or are already in trouble - for example the Joker might kill you, but if you stay on your own the Penguin will definitely kill you).
Yes, definitely. Everyone in Batman's rogues gallery is badass that typical security guards and beat cops won't be able to stop them. They should be pulling successful heists pretty frequently--especially when Batman is busy trying to stop the League of Assassins from gaining control of OMAC, or some other world-threatening problem.

Of course everything they make illegally gets confiscated whenever they're arrest, so most of them don't have any Wealth.

Tags
batman, dc comics, phantasm, superman, supers, vonkatzen