Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Parabolic Hearing vs. Acute Hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Perhaps not the best example considering that rules for just such a situation can be found on page 24 of Pulp Guns volume 1.
IIRC they only handle the Boomstick range, not the fact that any Success by 5 means 6 pellets hit an SM+0 target for GURPS Shotguns at other ranges (with no further way to differentiate grouping).
Old 07-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Except that distinction is not really supported by the rules. If you try to make your Hearing roll to the hear the same volume sound at a greater distance, it's a simple penalty from the Speed/Range table, and Acute Hearing will counteract that penalty just fine. Ergo, with Acute Hearing +6, you can indeed hear a pin drop from 10x as far away.
Hearing doesn't use the Speed/Range table, it uses the Hearing Distance Table, with Acute Hearing +6, you can hear a pin drop from 64x as far away.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
IIRC they only handle the Boomstick range, not the fact that any Success by 5 means 6 pellets hit an SM+0 target for GURPS Shotguns at other ranges (with no further way to differentiate grouping).
It does more than you remember. A choked shotgun beyond boomstick range (which the choke extends) is at -1 to skill but number of hits is increased 50%.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
Nymdok

Apologies folks, I forgot all about Discriminatory Advantages! My Bad :)

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
It does more than you remember. A choked shotgun beyond boomstick range (which the choke extends) is at -1 to skill but number of hits is increased 50%.
Is the rule replicated in any non-pulp PDF? HT or TS or GF perhaps?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
malloyd

There probably isn't any real difference. It's not the only advantage or disadvantage pair apparently distinguished only by one version being originally written for humans and one for machines.

The way a parabolic microphone actually works is to provide amplification for sounds in the direction you point it (which is the same thing a non-directional microphone would do of course) and to reduce or eliminate sounds coming from other directions (which would cancel some noise penalties, but at a cost of not allowing you to hear sounds from those directions you might really be interested in).

I suppose if you wanted to distinguish them you should ignore penalties for noise sources for sounds coming from another direction for Parabolic Hearing. Though there aren't any real rules for assigning the contributions of each noise source to a total noise penalty. Still the ability to stand next to a jet engine or roaring waterfall or something and still hear people it doesn't block your view of could come up enough to justify a couple points. The differnce in cost does start looking pretty unreasonable when you compare high levels though.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Is the rule replicated in any non-pulp PDF? HT or TS or GF perhaps?
Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure it isn't in HT, and it isn't reprinted in TS. I don't have Gun Fu, but I wouldn't expect it to be there.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
RyanW

Quote:
Except there's nothing at all to make it work like that. Telescopic vision is distinguished by the 'zoom in' mechanic and by functioning as a weapon scope. If you took both of those out, there'd be nothing to differentiate it.
I think I may recast Parabolic Hearing as a direct parallel to Telescopic Vision. Eliminate -1/level of range penalties, or -2/level when "zoomed in", and give +1/level to skills principally using sound (targeting, tracking, etc.).
Old 07-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Hearing doesn't use the Speed/Range table, it uses the Hearing Distance Table, with Acute Hearing +6, you can hear a pin drop from 64x as far away.
If, that is, there are no other sources of noise.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hearing