Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: [DF] Poisoned arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Is it reasonable to maintain that +8 or +9 damage bonus, instead of turning it into a further +2d bonus and a +tiny remainder?
yes it reasonable. the dice swap is an optional rule, not a defualt
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
vierasmarius

Quote:
In what sense of the word "disallow"?
I could see the argument made that the more potent poisons are partially magical in nature, and thus spoil quickly when exposed to Meteoric Iron. Of course, you might be able to use Meteoric Iron itself as a poison. Add some iron flakes or dust that get into the victim's blood stream, afflicting them with the equivalent of Magic Resistance.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
In what sense of the word "disallow"?
Presumably in the sense that a substance that cancels magical effects would negate magical effects.

Quote:
Is it reasonable to maintain that +8 or +9 damage bonus, instead of turning it into a further +2d bonus and a +tiny remainder?
Coverting adds to dice is an optional rule and should be applied campaign wide if used; not as a per-character option.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Coverting adds to dice is an optional rule and should be applied campaign wide if used; not as an per-character option.
Barrier-Blind Bullets are an option presented in Tactical Shooting. They are designed to be less affected by low-DR cover (glass panes, car doors, etc), trading 2d for +7 damage. So there is precedent for equipment options altering the balance of adds v dice. You're right though that it doesn't make much sense to have it vary by character.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
An old school project where we covered one of cultures that used poisoned arrows.

It came down to this, if you put the poison on the arrow head you are likley to at some point prick yourself with such an arrow and poison yourself.

However putting the poison on the shaft behind the head you still get the poison into the target without the safety risk to yourself.
That is very interesting! Thanks for this, it makes a lot of sense and reduces the danger of poisoning an arrow head significantly. Event he handling of said arrow is now safer.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
DanHoward

I'm not so sure how common the practice was. I've seen tons of footage of various tribes in the Amazon picking up frogs and rubbing the tip of their weapon on it. I can't recall any occasion where they poisoned the back of the head. It's a fascinating subject, though. I'd love to learn more.

Last edited by DanHoward; 08-05-2012 at 05:31 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #27
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
That is very interesting! Thanks for this, it makes a lot of sense and reduces the danger of poisoning an arrow head significantly. Event he handling of said arrow is now safer.
Safer to handle, but less reliable; the entire head has to penetrate out of sight and then some for the doped area to contact some blood that isn't on its way directly out. A compromise might be to coat the flats of the head, so that the point and edges remain finger-safe.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #28
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Presumably in the sense that a substance that cancels magical effects would negate magical effects.
None of the poisons in DF1 are listed as being magical, however. Even as being partly magical. They're in the same section as magical concoctions, but so are other, wholly mundane things. There isn't any mention of even something as lethal as bladeblack being magical, or anyone getting a resistance roll assisted by Magic Resistance. On the other hand, MR is explicitly called out in the next section, under Potions.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #29
Carlos

Quote:

4d+9 guarantees you a minimum of 13 damage. That's a lot of guaranteed armour penetration, compared to e.g. 6d+2.

We just don't use that rule and personally I preffer the dices+higher bonus.

Last edited by Carlos; 08-05-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
None of the poisons in DF1 are listed as being magical, however. Even as being partly magical. They're in the same section as magical concoctions, but so are other, wholly mundane things. There isn't any mention of even something as lethal as bladeblack being magical, or anyone getting a resistance roll assisted by Magic Resistance. On the other hand, MR is explicitly called out in the next section, under Potions.
I have no idea what posion Kalazz was actually talking about. Possibly the ointment version of the Death potion or maybe just a hypothetical magic poison.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-06-2012 at 12:22 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, poisons