Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default I want to make stuff for GURPS, where do I start?

As the title says, I'd like to make some content for other GURPS players but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Actually getting it published by SJG would be fantastic, but at the moment I'm struggling to even put something good enough for a blog together.

My main issue is that I'm not really an expert in anything, let alone anything interesting for gamers, so I don't really feel qualified to write the kind of thing I want from GURPS supplements, which is historical and realistic stuff.

I'm also terrible at concentrating on long projects, especially without external encouragement. I've got most of a dungeon-fantasy supplement written, but it's been sitting untouched for months because I haven't felt up to doing the illustrations.

So how could I go about making something, avoid getting distracted or discouraged and what would people be interested in from someone who can't offer any great insight into anything?
Old 07-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: I want to make stuff for GURPS, where do I start?

Clearly you have at least a doctorate in self-deprecation.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
....and what would people be interested in from someone who can't offer any great insight into anything?
Something that doesn't require great insight: stuff that gets done for other systems, only using the GURPS rules.

Dungeon Fantasy could use a setting that's bog-standard, pseudo-medieval, high-fantasy for dungeon-crawl. Banestorm isn't it.

How 'bout a big book of stat blocks for animals?

Everyone always wants adventures.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
How 'bout a big book of stat blocks for animals?
Seconded.
Also, there are GURPS 4e templates roaming around the sjgames website somewhere if you’re thinking about submitting them.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
As the title says, I'd like to make some content for other GURPS players but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Actually getting it published by SJG would be fantastic, but at the moment I'm struggling to even put something good enough for a blog together.

My main issue is that I'm not really an expert in anything, let alone anything interesting for gamers, so I don't really feel qualified to write the kind of thing I want from GURPS supplements, which is historical and realistic stuff.

I'm also terrible at concentrating on long projects, especially without external encouragement. I've got most of a dungeon-fantasy supplement written, but it's been sitting untouched for months because I haven't felt up to doing the illustrations.

So how could I go about making something, avoid getting distracted or discouraged and what would people be interested in from someone who can't offer any great insight into anything?
You want to write something? Start with a blog. Even if you never have it open to the public just get in the habit of writing on a schedule you set. Once you've done that, play around with writing an article for Pyramid. Just write it for you starting off. If you can finish it on a time you set, pick a topic that jives with the current wishlist and send a query. Write the article. Proof the article. Revise the article. See if you can get at least one other person to do the same. Send in the article. Wait to see if it's accepted. Make changes if it is. Profit!

Seriously, if you want it bad enough then you can do it. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
Anaraxes

The GURPS Resources sub-forum has a sticky thread that has links to other blogs (etc). You can have your blog listed there, and post notices here when you update the GURPS-related content.

The SJG wish list is here. It should give you some ideas, even if you don't intend to seek publication through SJG. Also, looking over their writing guidelines might be useful if that is your ambition.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
What do you do for your own gaming? Build characters? Think up NPCs? Plots? Locations? Whatever you do, do that, but flesh out the expression. Instead of making abbreviated notes to yourself when describing things, write it out in full paragraphs. Do what you do, but in a way that other people will get all the ideas you're keeping inside your head about it.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Refplace

Some good advice so far. I would recommend starting small to help you keep your interest up and reduce distractions. A blog is a good start.
What you really need is a good idea, then you can go from there.
And dont feel bad if your first ideas turn out lousy once you flesh them out a bit, learn from your mistakes.
And you can do stuff here on the forums too.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
Rasputin

So you wanna be a GURPS writer
then listen now to all this the most
Just get a Blogspot blog
and take some time and write some stuff to post

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #10
tbone

You don't need much in the way of talent, expertise, or Big Ideas to write blog posts. I'm living proof! : )

Lots of good suggestions in the thread, including the pointer to SJG's wish list if you're seriously about writing official GURPS supplements/articles. Go for it, by all means! But starting small with short blog posts (or even useful & fun posts on the forums) would be a good way to work up to that.

Starting out with a big adventure supplement, or reworked magic system, etc. would be pretty daunting. I think you'll get lots of appreciation for things that are small but helpful to players and GMs.

Creative stuff – a pre-gen character or few, a new monster writeup, short adventure ideas, etc. – is fun and pretty easy to turn out.

On the less creative but very helpful side, there are many opportunities to do a bit of calculation or prep work that can benefit lots of players. I'm talking about things like handy equipment packages ("loadouts"), or lists of modified weapons (e.g., melee weapons with mods for quality and material, complete with new prices, weights, etc.).

As an ultimate example of lazy posting, I wrote several blog posts that are nothing more than ideas for other people to use in blog posts. ("Here... You write it.") Take a look at it (with links to Part 2 onward in the sidebar) if interested: http://www.gamesdiner.com/articles-on-gaming-part-I

Whatever and wherever you end up writing, let the forum know what you've come up with!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote