Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-16-2023, 12:20 PM   #1
Rhino

Default Questions About Grappling

"If you have an empty hand, you can grab foes or their equipment. You must be in your opponent’s hex to try this." DFE 40.

What if a character or monster has reach 1 or more with his arms? Does it still need to be in it's opponents hex to initiate a grapple?

"Pin: ... The fighter with the most free hands has +3." DFE 41.

What constitutes a "free" hand for this? A hand not holding anything, including the foe?

"Break Free: ... Your opponent gets +5 if grappling you with two hands or pinning you with one, +10 if pinning you with two." DFE 41.

What does "grappling you with two hands" mean? Does it just mean both hands are not holding on to anything else (like a weapon) or do you have to make an attack and hit with both hands?

Depending upon the answers, I may have some follow up questions. Many thanks in advance for assistance.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:14 PM   #2
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: Questions About Grappling

My interpretation is that a free hand is one that isn’t holding anything or doing anything other than the opponent in question. Also that an opponent with reach greater than C can grapple at whatever reach their bare hand/limb/tentacle can reach.

You don’t have to roll two attacks to grapple with two hands, and I believe you can grab an already grappled opponent with another hand or release with a hand as a free action. So as long as the hands aren’t otherwise occupied, they count.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:29 PM   #3
Rhino

Thank you.

“ Attack or All-Out Attack: You can try if not pinned! Attacks must be unarmed or use reach “C” weapons.” DFE 41.

If you are grappled by a beast at reach 1 are you still considered in close combat? Do the above restrictions on weapons you can use when grappled still apply?

Can the long-armed foe freely step into close combat while maintaining its hold? If it maintains its grip, can it hold you at range 1?
Old 02-16-2023, 06:13 PM   #4
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
My interpretation is that a free hand is one that isn’t holding anything or doing anything other than the opponent in question. Also that an opponent with reach greater than C can grapple at whatever reach their bare hand/limb/tentacle can reach.
As GM I'd be reluctant to let someone grapple with a hand on an arm that's strapped to a shield, even though not occupying a hand is the whole point of non-buckler shields per Adventurers page 107. (Well, that and shield rushing.)

It just doesn't seem plausible to me that you could grapple someone with a hand strapped to a shield. Too awkward. If a player can convince me otherwise then great.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:53 PM   #5
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Thank you.

“ Attack or All-Out Attack: You can try if not pinned! Attacks must be unarmed or use reach “C” weapons.” DFE 41.

If you are grappled by a beast at reach 1 are you still considered in close combat? Do the above restrictions on weapons you can use when grappled still apply?

Can the long-armed foe freely step into close combat while maintaining its hold? If it maintains its grip, can it hold you at range 1?
As a GM, I think I’d rule that you’re not in close combat with a creature grappling you from range 1 or greater. Unless the appendages holding you were themselves big enough to hinder your actions as much as a foe in your hex. I think it would be easy for a long- limbed creature to step in and out of their opponent’s hex while maintaining a grapple. I’d also rule they could hold the grapplee off at range, unless the grapplee has double the grappler’s ST, and can move. I don’t think raw covers any of this, it’s just how I’d handle it.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:59 PM   #6
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
As GM I'd be reluctant to let someone grapple with a hand on an arm that's strapped to a shield, even though not occupying a hand is the whole point of non-buckler shields per Adventurers page 107. (Well, that and shield rushing.)

It just doesn't seem plausible to me that you could grapple someone with a hand strapped to a shield. Too awkward. If a player can convince me otherwise then great.
I might allow it. There’s the penalty for the shield’s DB when in close combat, to account for the awkwardness. Bear hugs, etc. with a hand or arm that has a shield strapped to it don’t seem too unlikely to me.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:03 PM   #7
Rhino

Does a quadruped’s jaw count as a single hand for grappling rules when the description says the beast can grapple with its bite?
Old 03-11-2023, 12:22 PM   #8
Mr_Sandman

I don't think it's specified in DFRPG, but GURPS Martial Arts says that a bite from a foe with the same Size Modifier or lower counts as a one-handed grapple, and from a foes larger by 1 SM or more count as two hands. It seems like a good rule of thumb to me.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:38 PM   #9
Rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
I don't think it's specified in DFRPG, but GURPS Martial Arts says that a bite from a foe with the same Size Modifier or lower counts as a one-handed grapple, and from a foes larger by 1 SM or more count as two hands. It seems like a good rule of thumb to me.
Thanks! That is very useful information.