Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2022, 12:31 AM   #1
scc

Default [Space] The Order Of The Bunngygirl

We're talking Playboy Bunnies here, not the anthropomorphic kind.

So I've got this idea for a space setting where ****** FTL (as in still takes months or years, interstellar travel is a once-in-a-lifetime thing unless your job requires it) has caused government at the interstellar level to become feudal. The limited genetic engineering, incapable of producing genetic supermen, is instead making broad castes of humanity, so mechanic, electrician, fighter pilot.

It's this last which interested, I was struck by the idea last night as I lay in bed that, for some reason, with fighter pilots being sort-of like knights that, for some bizarre reason, there should be an Knightly Order of the Bunnygirl. And so now I need to figure out what that means, is the name just a name, like the Order of the Garter? Or are it's members or are all its members female and they wear bunnygirl suits on occasion? (You must admit as an official dress uniform it's different). And what's it's function?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:21 AM   #2
ronwit

Default Re: [Space] The Order Of The Bunngygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
We're talking Playboy Bunnies here, not the anthropomorphic kind.

So I've got this idea for a space setting where ****** FTL (as in still takes months or years, interstellar travel is a once-in-a-lifetime thing unless your job requires it) has caused government at the interstellar level to become feudal. The limited genetic engineering, incapable of producing genetic supermen, is instead making broad castes of humanity, so mechanic, electrician, fighter pilot.

It's this last which interested, I was struck by the idea last night as I lay in bed that, for some reason, with fighter pilots being sort-of like knights that, for some bizarre reason, there should be an Knightly Order of the Bunnygirl. And so now I need to figure out what that means, is the name just a name, like the Order of the Garter? Or are it's members or are all its members female and they wear bunnygirl suits on occasion? (You must admit as an official dress uniform it's different). And what's it's function?
Bunny ears might be inconvenient in a cockpit in combat. The Knightly Order of the Catgirl might be more fighter piloty.
ronwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:07 AM   #3
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwit View Post
Bunny ears might be inconvenient in a cockpit in combat. The Knightly Order of the Catgirl might be more fighter piloty.
Bunny ears would likely only be worn for special occasions, during normal operations a skinsuit is worn and not a bunnygirl suit (Maybe the prototype had big antenna that looked like ears?)

And yeah, an Order of the Catgirl does kind of suggest itself, but I believe that many knightly orders could have existed in one country at a time, so.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:32 AM   #4
Varyon

It’s a bit off-brand, but lop-style bunny ears seem like they wouldn’t get in the way in the cockpit. Maybe lop ears for combat dress, erect (normal) ears for formal dress?
Old 07-11-2022, 01:03 AM   #5
jacobmuller

Given the origins of the order of the garter (motto: Honi soit qui mal y pense," which kindof means, "Shame on him who thinks this evil.") having an Order of the Bunnygirl sounds fine - being created at the whimsy of some planetary ruler as a reward for outstanding public service.
Edit KotG was created by Edward II; his father had thd too close friend, so perhaps it was counterpoint. Maybe someone had an over favoured female companion?
Fighter pilots only - women just took the gene-editing for the job better than men?
Being one of the chosen few would be a great honour - how few? I think there were only 3 Bunnygirls in the mansion at any one time; there are 24 KotG.
Costume could just be a feature of your chosen flight suit - chameleon surface, UT98-99

Last edited by jacobmuller; 07-11-2022 at 01:53 AM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:10 AM   #6
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Given the origins of the order of the garter (motto: Honi soit qui mal y pense," which kindof means, "Shame on him who thinks this evil.") having an Order of the Bunnygirl sounds fine - being created at the whimsy of some planetary ruler as a reward for outstanding public service.
Edit KotG was created by Edward II; his father had thd too close friend, so perhaps it was counterpoint. Maybe someone had an over favoured female companion?
Fighter pilots only - women just took the gene-editing for the job better than men?
Being one of the chosen few would be a great honour - how few? I think there were only 3 Bunnygirls in the mansion at any one time; there are 24 KotG.
Costume could just be a feature of your chosen flight suit - chameleon surface, UT98-99
Nah, I'm thinking any sort of order like would have to be kingdom wide.

So here's my thoughts on how this can come to be:
-Early skinsuit prototypes where found to be too inflexible in the limbs so variants with more flexible limbs (thinner armor there) where made, this changed the color from a black to grey.
-There early prototypes also had external radio's with antenna coming off them.
-At one point one or more suits where painted with tan shoulders (Think DS9/Voy uniform colors)
All together these suits got the nickname bunny(girl)suits as a result

So when the need for an at least minimal empire wide military force was realized based around fighters, an actually not that great platform but serviceable, someone remembered the bunnysuits thing, and as there was a desire to avoid ruffling feathers over creating an actual military on this level instead of being called something like the Royal Navy's First Fleet, they where called the Order of the Bunnygirl. All the pilots are female (And presumably senior officers as well) with Bunnygirl suit dress uniforms.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:28 AM   #7
Drop Bear

Candidates are chosen during Flight School, those who join the program are "Modified", 0-G adaption, Improved G Tolerances. then there are the "Enhancements" to the Sensory, Spatial and Reflexive centers of the brain and the side effects like increased libido (not Lechery just Flirty) and heightened Sociability. al that "Science" and training is a big investment so perhaps some aging retardation.

after a couple of decades of service the best of the still youthful pilots are made members of the order.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:07 AM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Early skinsuit prototypes where found to be too inflexible in the limbs so variants with more flexible limbs (thinner armor there) where made, this changed the color from a black to grey.
Honestly, it doesn't make a lot of sense that thinner armor would result in a different color. If they were made with a different material that might follow, however. While they were still in training mode I could see them purposefully being colored differently as a visual indicator of thickness, however.
EDIT: Also, the suits may have had comparable thickness around the abdomen, which would have gotten rid of the bunnysuit aesthetic. That said, however, I could see a case where the suits are initially made with thinner material on the abdomen/limbs, are found to be too thick on the limbs but fine otherwise, and rather than making new suits they simply remove the limbs from the old ones and attach new, thinner limbs to them; the new batch being a different color is certainly feasible, and would give the sort of visual effect you're suggesting here.

Quote:
There early prototypes also had external radio's with antenna coming off them.
Yeah, that's the most logical thing for something that resembles bunny ears, although it seems an odd choice for pilots (who would be using the much-better radio setups in their vehicles). One idea I had for if pilots tend to actually see a lot of action outside of their vehicles (like the pilot/driver characters in various FPS games) was to have the "ears" be movable - while in the cockpit, or otherwise not in use, they'd lay flat like lop ears, but when out of the cockpit and set to send/receive transmissions, they'd be erect like normal rabbit ears.

Last edited by Varyon; 07-11-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:50 AM   #9
agentdenton
Banned

Why put the ****** before ftl? Not getting it.
agentdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:05 AM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdenton View Post
Why put the ****** before ftl? Not getting it.
As tempting as it is to troll this response*, what you're seeing there is what the forum does to naughty words. Whatever word scc used, it tripped the profanity filters and wound up censored, probably due to a misspelling. At least, that's my guess.

*The top two options are:

1) That's what happens when you put in your password, actually. It's a security measure so people don't accidentally give away their passwords. You can try it yourself - put in your password, and you'll be able to see it fine but for all of us it'll show up censored. For example, my password for the site is *********
(In case this isn't clear from my trolling comment, DON'T ACTUALLY DO THIS. This is an old prank from, I think, IRC, to get inexperienced users to post their passwords)

2) What are you talking about? I don't see any asterisks in his post. I assume the part you're talking about is when he said "space setting where ****** FTL" which is perfectly clear. If ****** is showing up as asterisks for you, you must have some sort of weird, overzealous profanity filter on your machine.
(Again, to be abundantly clear, this is a joke. It shows up as ****** for the rest of us as well)