Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #91
TippetsTX

Default Re: Show me the magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
I hate to be the obnoxious pedant here but... square-cube law? Cast Enlarge enough times and you'd be towing your fighter around like a Thanksgiving Day parade balloon, because he'd be less dense than air.
Like many TFT spells, this one cannot be stacked or cast upon itself. I will add text to make this clear.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #92
Anomylous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Like many TFT spells, this one cannot be stacked or cast upon itself. I will add text to make this clear.
Honestly, I'd be tempted to allow multiple castings, purely because a titanically huge warrior, floating like a balloon on a string, is a hilarious mental image. In fact, that's the only reason I commented in the first place; I don't have any actual complaints about your spell as written. It's magic, it doesn't have to obey the laws of physics, and "just double everything" is KISS at its finest.

I wouldn't allow the spell in a serious campaign regardless, because all [edit: most of] my usual players are huge nerds who would be extremely aggravated by such blatant violations of both the square-cube law and conservation of mass (these folks HATED Ant-Man and the Wasp), but that's neither here nor there.

Last edited by Anomylous; 06-06-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #93
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
I wouldn't allow the spell in a serious campaign regardless, because all my usual players are huge nerds who would be extremely aggravated by such blatant violations of both the square-cube law and conservation of mass (these folks HATED Ant-Man and the Wasp), but that's neither here nor there.
I can understand that, but does that mean you exclude the SHAPESHIFT spell from your campaign as well? In the metaphysics of my Cidri, both spells operate on the same premise... that wizards can use the ambient magical energies (called aether) to convert and transfer matter in the surrounding environment from one form to another as well as the addition or subtraction of mass as necessary (a temporary effect for my spell). SHAPESHIFT is just far more advanced in its ability to manipulate the biological makeup of the target's form.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #94
Anomylous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I can understand that, but does that mean you exclude the SHAPESHIFT spell from your campaign as well? ...
SHAPESHIFT is in the official rulebook and therefore sacrosanct. Nerds, amirite? :-P
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #95
Shostak

Fire spells are the subject of my most recent musings over at Musings from Myriangia.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #96
hcobb

It is difficult to Shapeshift up to a larger size because you need to reach one less than the minimum ST to do so.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #97
hcobb

Chill Blade (T, IQ 12) The target weapon becomes magically cold, doing +1 damage and it's total damage is doubled against targets that take double damage from cold attacks. The base cost to cast this spell is 2, doubled for each current enchantment (other than Staff) on the weapon, up to 32 for a weapon that already has four enchantments on it. Whatever the casting cost the cost to maintain this spell is only 1 ST per minute.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #98
hcobb

Vogue enchantment: Applies a "Look Your Best" spell on the wearer at no cost that lasts only as long as the item is worn. Same enchantment cost as the Glamo[u]r enchantment at ITL 151.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:11 AM   #99
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
IQ 7 Training Spells
Some of these sound almost useful, in slightly bizarre circumstances. If every wizard can do them without ST cost, someone may ask to do so in game.

My version of something slightly similar was a list of fourteen IQ 7 spells for prootwaddle wizards.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #100
Kieddicus

IQ 18 - Unlife Plague (C)

Create a plague inside a MH (use the center for determining the range). infect all living creatures in the MH for 12 turns. If the plague hits a corpse or if an infected creature dies they turn into a zombie with ST & DX 2 less than they had in life, and 0 IQ. Plague zombies loss 1 ST every day like normal zombie but can only get this ST back by eating a living creature (every 5 ST they eat they heal 1). If you suffer a wound from a plague zombie you save 3/ST minus hits taken to avoid becoming infected (GM rolls). Plague zombies are mindless and cannot be controlled so the wizard that creates them better have an escape plan. Cost 20 ST.
(Once the plague starts infecting bodies it will reproduce on its own so it will last after they 12 turns if there are victims.)

Due to the dangers of this spell the wizards guild is highly protective of it, unauthorized reproductions incur the death penalty, and the reproduction burned.

IQ 10 - Shove (T)
Converted from Amtgard

Move the target back 2 hexes for every ST spent. Max ST cost of 3.
For multi-hex creatures divided the shove distance by their size round down.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote